Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever shorten a jacket?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm wearing my heavily modded Aero Veste De Rallaye (thanks again Graham) and I'm really diggin' it now that I've had the sleeves shortend (thanks Johnson Leathers) BUT I think the body might be about an inch too long. I need it a smidge closer to the belt line. Just to refresh.... it looks like this:

IMG_1032_zpscfcbe52f.jpg

Now that I look at it... it kinda looks fine BUT it feels a smidge long. Of course shortening might mess with the bottom row of buttons and make the pockets look "odd". What do you folks think?

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Worf,
I think an inch removed would be an inch too short. It looks great in my eyes and you are absolutely right about the button placement issue.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't fiddle around with it Worf, it looks bang on to me, body length is perfect.

I agree with what previous posters have said; In my view, your jacket is of an ideal length and if you shorten it by just an inch, like Grayland said, it will be too short. Great looking jacket that fits you really well.

Last edited:
...Now that I look at it... it kinda looks fine BUT it feels a smidge long. Of course shortening might mess with the bottom row of buttons and make the pockets look "odd". What do you folks think?

Worf

How does it feel when you sit down in it buttoned up Dave?
I'd be more worried about the stress point on that lower button than the looks.
You have some leather there to "roll" & shorter there may pull on that button a bit more...JMHO

armscye

One of the Regulars
On double breasted suits, the bottom button is normally left unbuttoned, specifically to prevent pulling when seated. So I might suggest that you do a "3 on 8" buttoning technique.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the love folks. She stays "as is"! It actually is one of the more comforatble heavy FQHH jackets to sit and drive in. Thanks Dean that was a good question, it got me to think more critically about it all.

Dave

John J

Familiar Face
Hi Worf,

I'm in late on this one I wouldn't mess with it , it looks fine. personally I don't Like Eisenhower length jackets (right to belt line).

I'm more comfortable a bit longer like the one your wearing! Looks good on you!!

"John"

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After one of the threads was talking about lengths of the longer jackets i puled out my teamster and did some measuring etc. What i worked out was changing the length even by an inch or two it would screw the balance with the buttons and actual inside of the pockets would also possibly hang outside the new hem.....I think once a jacket is made at a length it probably best to keep it. Plus yours looks great anyway, don't forget, your looking down on it so from your perspective it probably looks longer than it does to everyone else...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
In favor of leaving it as is: 17 (including me).
In favor of shortening it: ZERO
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou