Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are your feet happy?

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
There is a version of "Happy Feet" in the movie the Aviator done by the Manhattan Rhythm Kings that I really enjoy and I wouldn't mind buying a copy of the soundtrack but.... I downloaded a sample of it and it doesn't seem to have the vocals. Just the band. Further in does it pick up a vocal track?? And while we happen to be on the subject- does anyone know of another good version of this song or what album might be worth while in ordering? I love the mono-toned version in the movie but is true to the original?? Questions, questions questions!!! :p

Thanks!!!
Scuffy

PS- if this is off topic I apologize ahead of time. I know that it is a golden era son so I figured this would be the place for it! Maybe better in the Moving Picture section?? I dunno.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The definitive version is a 1930 Columbia recording by Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra, with a vocal by the Rhythm Boys (featuring Bing Crosby.) The arrangement used in the film, is very close to the one used by the Whiteman band, except for the vocal.

There's a full-scale production number of "Happy Feet" in Whiteman's 1930 Technicolor film "The King of Jazz," which came out on VHS back in the '80s, but which I've yet to see on DVD.

The original Columbia 78 has been reissued a number of times on CD. One of the better albums to include can be found here :

http://www.collateralworks.com/tr/cd2216.html

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy