Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett is out of touch....

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome Mark!
You are so right about the workshop, tools, etc. You think I would have remembered that since I am in the process of getting one of Art's fine hats! :eusa_doh:

I have only spoken to him once, (and by email a couple of times) but he really seems top notch. Here's hoping the rest of this year will go much better for him.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad to hear you're all right. What a mess!

I guess you'll have to make a few hard hats!

Wish I were close enough to come by for the
week long chainsaw party.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
too bad you don't live closer: Will work for hats!lol

I was thinking the same thing. :( lol

Art, relatively speaking, glad to hear you made it through unscathed. .:eusa_clap

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
44 trees laying on the fence
Trees and wind do not go well together. We lost 52 trees on our 11 acres during Hurricane Katrina... and we're 50 miles inland!

Glad to hear you're OK. My Montecristi will be visiting you any day now.

Don

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Mr. Corona!!

I spent 4 years in the early 70's in Florida so I know what hurricanes are about ( Camille if memory serves right) and I have much empathy for everyone in the Gulf Coast. I never expected it up here in the mountains, but perhaps I should have. Having spent most of my life in cities ( where the work was) I'm only now learning about mountain life and what hazards it can bring.

I think we have a pretty good perspective in that, as long as nobody died or was injured, the rest is just learning opportunities and challenges. I had the foresight to make the hat shop our "safe room" in the event of power losses ( generator setup) making it wood stove heat and having the well powered by generator so we could have the essentials and that's where we have been staying until we got power restored late Sunday night. The power is still hit & miss as they had to replace over two miles of line just on our road so it has it's bugs. What I never could have known, without experiencing it, was the power of nature over monstrous trees. It isn't uncommon here to have pines over 100' tall and in fact my home is surrounded by them, and to see them uprooted is a real eye opener. I'll be spending alot of time this spring cutting down whatever can crush us, as much as I hate to. At least, I hope they stand until spring. lol

Tandmark, you're right. All in all, I'm not going anywhere!!! I wish everyone here could experience the beauty that I see every morning from kitchen window having my morning coffee. I always thought that San Francisco was the most beautiful spot on earth ( it ranks #2 with me now) but this little spot is as close to heaven as my mind can imagine, even with the dangers. It DOES mean alot of work to maintain, but what the heck, I'm one of those "A" type worker bees anyway so if I'm not backed up with things to do, I'm not happy.

To everyone that has posted, again, thank you. Please know that the trees can crush structures but not spirits so we are in great shape, just have a bit of work ahead of us and the Hat Shop may suffer for a while, but not long.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Didn't actually witness it Corona, but have them all over the property. Found one but couldn't find the tree it was off of for a while. Turns out the tree itself was about 40' away. geeze..

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd sooner get killed by a falling pine than a self-important lane-changing Bay Areite in a BMW or an SUV. You're living a dream most of us will never attain, Art. I'll gladly take the wild animals and hazards of nature over the concrete and strip malls, even if it does mean breathing two-cycle exhaust and doing back-breaking labor for months at a time.

...this reminds me, I need to visit my father's ranch up your way sometime soon.

Razzman

One Too Many
Art, glad to see you and the missus are doing fine. As long as nobody was injured you will recover. I gather you have not lost your spirit. That is what counts. It will take time to recover from the aftermath. Wishing you all the best.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Ditto what Razzman and others have conveyed. Art, I was out your way a month or so ago.....during that first wave of flooding on the coast....visiting my Son in Portland and Daughter in Bend. Beautiful country y'all have out there....but sounds like y'all have steadily been battered by some VERY strong fronts coming thru. Glad to hear you made it thru without personal injury. Stay Safe!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Indeed, knowing the difference would require death...but having spent considerable time in the Oregon Coast Range, I know where I'd rather be.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Art Fawcett said:
Welcome to the Lounge Mr. Corona!!

I spent 4 years in the early 70's in Florida so I know what hurricanes are about ( Camille if memory serves right) and I have much empathy for everyone in the Gulf Coast. I never expected it up here in the mountains, but perhaps I should have. Having spent most of my life in cities ( where the work was) I'm only now learning about mountain life and what hazards it can bring.

I think we have a pretty good perspective in that, as long as nobody died or was injured, the rest is just learning opportunities and challenges. I had the foresight to make the hat shop our "safe room" in the event of power losses ( generator setup) making it wood stove heat and having the well powered by generator so we could have the essentials and that's where we have been staying until we got power restored late Sunday night. The power is still hit & miss as they had to replace over two miles of line just on our road so it has it's bugs. What I never could have known, without experiencing it, was the power of nature over monstrous trees. It isn't uncommon here to have pines over 100' tall and in fact my home is surrounded by them, and to see them uprooted is a real eye opener. I'll be spending alot of time this spring cutting down whatever can crush us, as much as I hate to. At least, I hope they stand until spring. lol

Tandmark, you're right. All in all, I'm not going anywhere!!! I wish everyone here could experience the beauty that I see every morning from kitchen window having my morning coffee. I always thought that San Francisco was the most beautiful spot on earth ( it ranks #2 with me now) but this little spot is as close to heaven as my mind can imagine, even with the dangers. It DOES mean alot of work to maintain, but what the heck, I'm one of those "A" type worker bees anyway so if I'm not backed up with things to do, I'm not happy.

To everyone that has posted, again, thank you. Please know that the trees can crush structures but not spirits so we are in great shape, just have a bit of work ahead of us and the Hat Shop may suffer for a while, but not long.

I grew up in N Louisiana, first I can remember was Audrey in '57 when I was in 6 th grade. Long dry spell then a couple blew through while I was in college and I remember dodging flooded streets, wading to class ect, and of course all the downed trees. That far north we did not get the full force like the coast.

Camille was in 1969, I was a young shavetail ( 2nd Lt in the AF) at Tyndall AFB in weapons director school when it blew in. Air Force acadamy students had all the BOQ filled for their summer camp, so we had to stay in motels off base for the 2 month school. F 106's and 101's took off all day and night over our motel as they evacutated them elsewhere. We were in luck as it turned west and hit the Miss coast, but wind was still high with some downed trees, high surf in the back bays, and flying sand would chip paint and your eyeglasses.

Had another at Eglin AFB , Eloise, cannot rember year, either 74 or 75 and saw it pull composite built up roofs fly off of base housing units.

Sat through another in a hotel in Orlando while at a military medical convention one year, and caught a bit of Rita a couple of years ago here, had one downed tree in the yard, a large elm that made a bit of a mess, just missing my storage barn.

It will suite me fine if I never see another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy