Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Milan or Panama? Help please.

Art has told me its time for me to make a decision because my time has come for the new VS. Anyone with an Art Milan want to weigh in (besides D-Guy who's documented his)? I know there are some out there but no one seems to talk about them?

Thanks.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Blue Smoke or Whiskey?

Can't help you Kaosharper1 - I'm in the same boat except I'm torn between going with a Blue Smoke what will be a little more "business" and a whiskey that will be a little more "casual". I have no idea what to do but I've got to get a decision to Art by Monday. Oh my....

FurFeltFedora said:
Can't help you Kaosharper1 - I'm in the same boat except I'm torn between going with a Blue Smoke what will be a little more "business" and a whiskey that will be a little more "casual". I have no idea what to do but I've got to get a decision to Art by Monday. Oh my....
I've got a Blue Smoke & a Pecan, which isn't as rust colored as a Whiskey. I don't have as many gray tones as I do brown tones, so if I only had 1, it would be the Blue Smoke. I got it first then came the Pecan. HTH

Jabos

A-List Customer
What's the story with the black cherry color. Is it out yet, or coming soon? I am anxious to see it. It is my understanding Art views oxblood as lighter than the "Public Enemies hat" oxblood. I wonder if the black cherry will be close to "that other company's" oxblood.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Jabos said:
What's the story with the black cherry color. Is it out yet, or coming soon? I am anxious to see it. It is my understanding Art views oxblood as lighter than the "Public Enemies hat" oxblood. I wonder if the black cherry will be close to "that other company's" oxblood.

black cherry is real close to what Optimo calls oxblood. We saw a trial run of it in Monteagle and it will be a color to have in the collection. I don't know what the progress is on getting the color perfected.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Jabos said:

I'm anxious as well...I would really like an Optimo, but I don't have the cash....pinching pennies for one of Art's hats sounds like a better option.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I humbly present my first Vintage Silhouette.

The last Art-Lite Blue Smoke, with a 16 linge dark grey ribbon, double stitched 2 5/8" overwelted brim, and 4.5" to 3.5" diamond crown as creased. And of course, some AWESOME ribbon work from Art; an off-center arrow treatment with just a hint of a pink-ish mauve in there. I left the color combo up to Art, and boy did he deliver! Thank you very much for this very special and unique hat, Sir! I love this one!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
fluteplayer07 said:
The last Art-Lite Blue Smoke, with a 16 linge dark grey ribbon, double stitched 2 5/8" overwelted brim, and 4.5" to 3.5" diamond crown as creased. And of course, some AWESOME ribbon work from Art; an off-center arrow treatment with just a hint of a pink-ish mauve in there. I left the color combo up to Art, and boy did he deliver! Thank you very much for this very special and unique hat, Sir! I love this one!

Wonderful. I have a lite blue smoke jazzman. Wore it today in fact. Very versatile. Great ribbon. Too bad it's the last one.

Jabos

A-List Customer
handlebar bart said:
black cherry is real close to what Optimo calls oxblood. We saw a trial run of it in Monteagle and it will be a color to have in the collection. I don't know what the progress is on getting the color perfected.
That's what I was hoping for. I want to keep my business with Art, and figure it is half the cost of an Optimo and you get the wonderful ribbon work to boot. A "nobrainer".

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
The color is "Sunset" . It's a color that Portis came out with in the early '50s and I was lucky enough to have found a new felt hood for many years ago. I actually made a hat out of it for AndyKev so Andy loaned the hat back to me for the purpose of duplicating. .

Not sure about the cherry Sir, but I would recommend the sunset...my best color so far - changes with the light - closest to a metallic color - absolutely the best to have come out of the Art new editions so far...and it has historic connections of a fine pedigree...

DSC_8066.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Art should really update his site to show off all these new colors, finishes, and the multitudes of new ribbon treatments he's come up with... :D

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Excitement is Building

Art has been working on my first hat. It should ship out next week. I am super-excited. There's no real point to this post in fact, it's just the excitement talking! It's a lightweight Mojave with a bronze ribbon of fairly 'ordinary' styling for my first VS... I did ask for a full liner, which kind of defeats the purpose of the light, but 1. i sweat from the leather band, and 2. Art's liners are gorgeous!!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I can now say, from experience, two things: 1.) Opening my VS box was one of the top 5 most exciting things I have ever done, having left a few things up to the Master to surprise me; and 2.) Waiting for the hat was the most painful wait I have ever experienced in my life, although it only took 3 days for it to arrive. I just did the liner pad as standard in the lightweight felt, and the inside view of the underside of the felt is just plain beautiful (but not as much as his liners). I only wish his liner pads can come in multiple colors, as well.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
fluteplayer07 said:
and 2.) Waiting for the hat was the most painful wait I have ever experienced in my life, although it only took 3 days for it to arrive. I just did the liner pad as standard in the lightweight felt, and the inside view of the underside of the felt is just plain beautiful (but not as much as his liners). I only wish his liner pads can come in multiple colors, as well.

I have a scheduling conflict. The hat should arrive during my beach vacation next week. So Mr. Fawcett will be shipping it to my mother's house since my whole immediate family will be away and i do not want it sent back to him. But that means that after it arrives i will get to wait extra!

Also I'm sure the felt looks great inside as you say, i just have always loved every one of those pictures of the luxurious liner and i gotta gotta have one. :) :) My next hat is to be Black Cherry, so it's date is up in the air. It will be worth the wait though, as will this one.

P.S. Did you worry about the fit, even though you did the conformer? I have to admit that i have trepidation about possible 'user error' there! Just because Art Fawcett is good does not make -ME- good. Still it's bound to fit better than anything i order off the net unseen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner