Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
yoonie said:
I don't think the knot is the problem. Excuse me for saying so, but you've got a melon! I think that if you had wider collars and unbuttoned one more button, it would suit your face and proportions much better.

Whenever I don an ascot, I tend to just unbutton the top button. I'm not a huge fan of exposing the ascot past that point. If I wear one with a spread collar, I make sure that the collar has a decent length at it's points, too. As far as buttondown collars, they also work well with ascots.

yoonie

Familiar Face
Lionheart said:
Whenever I don an ascot, I tend to just unbutton the top button. I'm not a huge fan of exposing the ascot past that point. If I wear one with a spread collar, I make sure that the collar has a decent length at it's points, too. As far as buttondown collars, they also work well with ascots.

I personally prefer a single button open also, but there are many stylish men who would go with two. It all depends on what suits your own style and physical features.

And since i'm posting, a blue ysl ascot that i love

blueascot002.jpg

though I doubt I'd find too many fans of the shoes I was wearing with it

Air%20Jordan%20VII%20Black-Red-Yellow.jpg

Queue

Familiar Face
yoonie said:
I personally prefer a single button open also, but there are many stylish men who would go with two. It all depends on what suits your own style and physical features.

And since i'm posting, a blue ysl ascot that i love

blueascot002.jpg

though I doubt I'd find too many fans of the shoes I was wearing with it

Air%20Jordan%20VII%20Black-Red-Yellow.jpg

To be somewhat forward, yonnie, for shame! Nice suit, handsome ascot and Air Jordans?!

matt

New in Town
Ascot/day cravat wearers out there?

Ok...I have to first admit this is my first attempt at wearing a day cravat. So I want to know if anyone else has this problem. As I sit here I'm wearing a handmade cotton day cravat from Panda Creation Ebay store. It slowly begins to show in the back of my shirt. After a half an hour or so I have to readjust it. Is this a cravat thing? Help!

matt

New in Town
Sorry, I think it's just me not being used to it. It does migrate, but not as much as I first thought. I was just to worried about the look. I may have to wear it around the house some more to get used to it.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, I find the cotton ones stay in place better than anything in satin or silk.... I have more of an issue with the knot slipping - the answet to that being, of course, a cravat pin.

LordBest

Practically Family
As I understand it, and I may well be mistaken, it is quite normal for a cravat/ascot to migrate a bit during wearing, and this is part and parcel of 'the look'.
I've been wearing my cravat most days since I acquired it (my first) and I have three more on their way to me now, once you get used to it you will never look back.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
What Ho!

Slightly "orf" topic I Know, But Lord Best could you possibly post a Photograph of that rather "Dashing" Argyle tie in Moss Green "N" Burgundy, that you've been "Galavanting" around "Van Dieman's Land" in

Back on subject, "You can never be too Rich, too thin, or have too many cravats/Ascots/Stocks (no Not the Wall Street type!)

LordBest

Practically Family
What ho, Binkie. I'll get a picture tomorrow when there is decent natural light. Back in the goldfields now, I do miss Van Diemans, splendid quality of butter.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Cravats?! What ho?!

I have at least ten cravats and frequently make my own by folding a silk scarf of the appropriate dimensions into the proper shape and tying accordingly as the originals were made though, to be honest, my favourite two ascot cravats are both self folded, one a gorgeous plum and pearl gray with white silk scarf with an art deco motif of a peacock and peahen in a yin yang arrangement head to tail and hand rolled edge dyed plum as well and the other being a gold toned with deep rust coloured traditional Indian cotton scarf with images of Shiva or some such and traditional stamp print motifs and patterns. They both tie wonderfully and have much more volume and dimension than any pre-folded cravat ever will, cotton or not. I wear cravats on a regular basis for my horse riding and I wear traditional garb for it too! If anyone's interested, I can take some photos later and show how to roll and fold your own cravat as well as tie the traditional Ascot knot which is, after all, simply a square knot!

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Love to see those photos

Dear Evan,

I have a passion for ascots/cravats, and have a large number of them. But, I'd really enjoy seeing the photos you talked about sharing how you make your own by folding a scarf. Tell me more.

Mark

Evan Everhart said:
I have at least ten cravats and frequently make my own by folding a silk scarf of the appropriate dimensions into the proper shape and tying accordingly as the originals were made though, to be honest, my favourite two ascot cravats are both self folded, one a gorgeous plum and pearl gray with white silk scarf with an art deco motif of a peacock and peahen in a yin yang arrangement head to tail and hand rolled edge dyed plum as well and the other being a gold toned with deep rust coloured traditional Indian cotton scarf with images of Shiva or some such and traditional stamp print motifs and patterns. They both tie wonderfully and have much more volume and dimension than any pre-folded cravat ever will, cotton or not. I wear cravats on a regular basis for my horse riding and I wear traditional garb for it too! If anyone's interested, I can take some photos later and show how to roll and fold your own cravat as well as tie the traditional Ascot knot which is, after all, simply a square knot!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
The Making of your own Cravat and the history of Modern Neck Wear in brief.

MarkL said:
Dear Evan,

I have a passion for ascots/cravats, and have a large number of them. But, I'd really enjoy seeing the photos you talked about sharing how you make your own by folding a scarf. Tell me more.

Mark

I'll have my fiance take some pics for me on my phone tomorrow! I can explain it basically, but I think that photos really do more justice to it. Here we go then for the written description:

1. Your scarf must be at least a 40 incher if it is to be usable for making a cravat of the proper length though, perhaps a 36 or 38 inch one would work depending upon your personal preferences regarding cravat length.

2. Lay your scarf out flat on a wide flat surface as you will probably need some maneuvering room. A kitchen or dinner table is often perfect for this. It is essential that the scarf be as flat as possible as otherwise it will effect your ability to make proper folds which do not billow so much as to utterly distort the final form of the cravat later.

3. Once your scarf is laid out to your satisfaction, find the exact middle of the scarf (an easy way to do this if you don't feel like eyeballing it is to lay a piece of string or something else rather light and straight that will not disturb the light silk as silk has a tendency to almost float above the table top and move in a most unfortunate manner, though this is not so much of an issue with cotton - so, lay your string etc., from one point to another diagonally across your scarf) Next, take the other two diagonally opposite points which the string or whatever is not touching and bring them together to meet in the center, point to point at the string. Remove the string. Make sure that the edges behind the pulled points which meet at the center are folded neatly.

4. next, depending upon your personal tastes (though I find narrower folds work best for a cravat of a reasonable and manageable width) fold/roll the scarf's respective corners in from the already folded edges opposite each other until the points which your folded to meet in step 3 are covered. The narrower your folds, the narrower the band that will cover your neck and the more voluminous your cravat will be as well as it will have many little pockets of air!

5. Arrange the pointed ends of your hand rolled cravat (the points remaining, the ends should be at the two points where the string touched) and make sure that they un-ravel a bit at the end which they will probably do anyway and then, simply place on your neck, tie in a square knot so that the knot looks flat in front and does not show its tying and arrange your cravat ends and tuck into your vest or what-have you!

By the by, in case you're interested, this method of hand rolling your cravat is the ancestor of the modern Seven Fold Tie which is, essentially a piece of silk, rather larger than a 40 incher (to achieve accepted modern length of the neck tie) folded the requisite number of times into shape in the exact same manner as a hand rolled or folded cravat. That said, that is also why the bottom of your necktie has that diamond or square shaped window which is sometimes lined and sometimes not at the pointed tip of your tie on either end. Cheers and cheerio and etc! Here's to neck-wear!

Marcus

A-List Customer
Did I get sent an Ascot?

I bought a tie on eBay and when I received it I could instantly tell it was not a normal tie. The photos on the auction made it look like a regular tie, but I should have read the description closer. It's 37" long and 5" wide for the whole length. My camera is being goofy, but I thought some of you more learned fellows would be able to tell me if what I received was an ascot or some kind of bow tie maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350018302637

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
But see, the description says "5 inches at widest point", implying a basic tapered tie shape, doesn't it? I guess they forgot to mention it's equally wide all the way down. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot