Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Duster

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
What are good brands and ways to get an original Australian duster (I live in the US)? I am looking for a model without the 'wings' on the shoulders. What makes do you recommend that are built with good craftsmanship?

Peacoat

Bartender
From your question I'm not sure if you are looking for fashion or function. Or if you are looking for the waterproof waxed cotton or the non waxed version. Never found much use for the non waterproof version of that particular coat. However I have ridden many miles in driving rain storms on horseback and find the "wings" to be very effective in keeping the rain from penetrating the coat.

If waterproof is what you are looking for, I will drag out my Australian coats and see what brands they are. For the past ten years or so I have been using Barbour coats with good results. While not as waterproof in a driving rain storm because they don't have the rain "fly," they do a good job of keeping the water out.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Isn't it the "wings" that primarily make it a Duster? I'm still quite fuzzy with the specifics of many garments...

Our most famous brand of coats would probably be those from Driza-Bone®.

I can't vouch for the quality as I've never owned one myself, but everyone I've known who has owned one would probably swear by it.

One site that sells them is Everything Australian, which I believe many American Loungers have used as a source for Akubras.

Mojito

One Too Many
I bought a Driza-Bone many, many moons ago. Had it for years and used it in all sorts of weather while I was riding and mucking around with the horses. It was durable, and it kept the rain off! I had to give up the horses, but I think the coat is still hanging in the laundry. I cared for it according to instructions and found it stood up to some very rough treatment. Don't know if they current product is still as good, but I had no complaints with mine!

Peacoat

Bartender
Driza-Bone is a good quality coat and used to be readily available in this country--probably still is. If you aren't too concerned about waterproof in a driving rain storm, and really didn't like the shoulder fly, you could always surgically excise them. I would never do it, but then the fly doesn't bother me as it is functional and works well. Seems to me that another brand I remember from years ago was, of all things, called "Outback."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn