Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'm dying to post an photo avatar of myself in a hat, but how do you compress a pic down to 150 X 150 pixels per FL's requirement?

I'm sure others have had the same issue, for which there's probably already a post to help, so throw up the link, if you please, and I'll get busy squeezing down a photo of me in my new Fed IV Deluxe, or my Stylemaster, or my Sydney, or ...

By the way, I have an old version of PhotoShop, if that would be beneficial.

Thanks!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
You must join photobucket or one of the other photosites. As for quick questions there is a thread, ask a question get an answer if you have any more? It will get you answers a little quicker.:)

leo

One of the Regulars
Any version of Photoshop will resample an image. There are some slight differences but the help menu should find it quickly. I can give your details from about version 3 and later, if you want. If your original is not square a great way to do this is to crop with a fixed size of 150 x 150.

Many free programs, like the one mentioned, will offer resampling.

If you have Windows XP (or later) you can use the photo editor...click and hold one of the sizing arrows to reduce the percentage (also by pixels if I remember correctly).

If you have Linux you should already have GIMP. Go to Image>Scale Image and type in 150. Do not choose "Scale" in the Transform Tools menu. You can do a fixed crop just like you would in Photoshop...a very effective and easy solution.

If you have a Mac, you wouldn't have asked. :eusa_doh:

Bill

leo

One of the Regulars
One tip if you have Windows with the included Live Photo Gallery and you want a perfect square to get 150 pixels both horizontally and vertically (and I remember correctly), do a "square" crop first, then go to File>Resize and do a "custom" resize at 150.

Bill

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Gimp is a completely free image and photo editing software. Just crop the image (select a square area that you want to use and select -crop to selection- from the menu) and then upload it to any web server where you can link to it (I don't remember if fedora lounge allows you to upload avatar images directly from your computer).

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
MS Paint works.
First, make a copy of the .jpg or whatever file format your picture is in. then open the copy in MS Paint. Go to image/attributes. Make sure width and height are equal. If not, make them equal to the lowest value - i.e., if w=500 and h=600, make h=500. If that cuts out part of the image you like, undo and move your image again. Anyway. After you use attributes to square the image, use a calculator. Divide 150 by the width- 150/500. Multiply that times 100. Go to image/stretch-skew. In the stretch section, enter the value on the calculator for height and width. You will get exactly 150x150 or one pixel larger or smaller. If you get a bit larger, just use image/attributes to set the height and width to 150.
Now - if you want to keep the complete picture, or want an image that's not square, divide 150 by the longest side - height or width. Enter that percentage in the stretch section for both values.
Oh. And if you want to only get the middle of the picture, just go to edit/select all and drag the part of the picture you want to the upper left corner. Then deselect the picture. There will be a white field surrounded by gray. At the bottom right edge, there will be a blue box. Click and drag that box up and to the left to crop the parts of the image you don't want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy