Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avirex A-2 help please

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have an interest in an Avirex A-2 currently for sale here in Australia

It would be my first A2 , and I have no previous knowledge of the type

( I have had various Eastman Luftwaffe variants since 1990 )

I have tried to attach photos of the interior labels to ask if indeed this jacket is of USA manufacture ? Much conflicting info on the 'net ( as always !!)

Also could the jacket be dated from these labels with any accuracy ?

Thanks in advance folks !

Attachments

• Avirex A2 label.jpg
    Avirex A2 label.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Avirex A2 label 2.jpg
    Avirex A2 label 2.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 945

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
These were a very common, mass marketed American made A2 by the company now called Cockpit USA. As a non-accurate, modern A2, many people prefer these to the obvious rival made by Cooper. I would't pay more than $250 Australian for one of these myself but if it is in excellent condition, maybe. They were made from the 1975 until mid 2000's. Most Avirex jackets found on eBay seem to be from the 1990's.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Seb Mate,Thanks mate for the quick "Aussie timeline" reply.

As mentioned I have no previous A-2 experience , and indeed until haunting "the Lounge" have never previously considered owning any kind/brand of repro A2.

I am a straight off the rack 44 in Schott or Eastman and I wonder how the 46 in this will fit.

Some few months ago I bought a 46 Mars of Melbourne "Luftwaffe type" biker jacket and it drowned me !
Straight to a mate bigger than me and perfect for him. Bummer as it was an excellent cut and style

I also have a Walden Miller 'Brando" in 46 , and it fits very well so there you go, hard to pick as they say !

Brettafett

One Too Many
These tend to run large. I may be mistaken, but If you are a 44, the 46 will be roomy. This may be what you are after, especially if you intend to layer. I would request measurements and compare with a leather jacket you currently own.
Just to give you an idea... I have a secondhand Cockpit Government issue A-2 in a 36 LONG! And I usually wear a 40 Eastman, have a 40" chest... (Cockpit was formerly Avirex).

archbury918

One of the Regulars
The early made ones under the Cockpit label weren't too bad for the era. (Late 70's to early 80's). Loosely based on the Perry Sportswear contract. If you find one with a correct box stitch hanger, buy it. These were true to size then. Mostly steerhide. They later turned into "mall jackets" and did win a contract to make them for the USAF in the 90's but quality was drastically reduced.

pilot error

One of the Regulars
I've handled several AC Delco "Right Stuff" A2's from '83-'84 from Avirex. Italian calfskin, the fit was correct. They didn't make many in horsehide so this should be a step up from the bloopy mall jackets.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Thanks fellows for the kind comments and thoughts.

Met with a couple of mates tonight for a Monday evening beer ( this IS Australia !)

If it is too small or too large for me it will fit either of them...

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Well the Avirex A-2 arrived in Perth western Australia today

It is nice "in person" but just a teeny tad "too big" for me. Tagged a "46" or "L".

I will give it a try this weekend on the Harley and see if it "Michelin Man" inflates on me.

Well made and obviously quality manufacture. Could be "layered" with a sweater or wooly jumper
Avirex A2 collar snap.jpg
Avirex A2 pocket flap.jpg
Avirex A2 shoulder epaulette.jpg
Avirex A2 cuff knits.jpg

BoDeen427

New in Town
Well the Avirex A-2 arrived in Perth western Australia today

It is nice "in person" but just a teeny tad "too big" for me. Tagged a "46" or "L".

I will give it a try this weekend on the Harley and see if it "Michelin Man" inflates on me.

Well made and obviously quality manufacture. Could be "layered" with a sweater or wooly jumper View attachment 135091 View attachment 135092 View attachment 135093 View attachment 135094

Nice looking A-2!
Do you still have this jacket or have you acquired a different type A-2 since then?
I realize that this thread is dated but I just received an Avirex civilian type A-2 leather jacket size M and it fits big, more like a medium large or large but it fits ok with bulky clothes under it. I thought about posting some pics and fit pics here if anyone is interested.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I did sell that Avirex A2 jacket about a year ago. To a visitor from Thailand to Western Australia I kid you not.

He was a "stockier" bloke than me , and it fitted him fine.

I have not "replaced" it , but have gathered so many other jackets since that there is "no more room in the closet" !

BoDeen427

New in Town
I did sell that Avirex A2 jacket about a year ago. To a visitor from Thailand to Western Australia I kid you not.

He was a "stockier" bloke than me , and it fitted him fine.

I have not "replaced" it , but have gathered so many other jackets since that there is "no more room in the closet" !

That is something else, selling it to that guy, pretty interesting. I know what you mean about acquiring different jackets, I started the hobby a couple years ago and I have a few, probably 10 at the moment, a few that don't fit and need to sell and many that I really want to hang onto. I'm under the weather right now, maybe tomorrow or soon I'll post some pics when I get to feeling better just for leathers sake, we'll see.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21