Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I do like the fact that they are taking risks It's good to see a double breasted vest on the racks and something that looks a little more futuristic and less throwback... we need things that move us forward now and again. It's a cool suit though maybe not ready for the office, it's great for stepping out. Now that one on the far right is pretty good for the office.

br-otf-out12542odv01.jpg
br588166-01p01v01.jpg
br-otf-out12302odv01.jpg

I started a thread a while back about missing the old Banana though they have been reintroducing some of their old style safari products, the store is far from its past. It's still going after the young urban pro and seems to be hitting the mark, somewhere between H&M and Brooks Brothers. I tend to think of them as the new Sears when it comes to menswear. My father used to go to Sears for suits back in the days when Sears had a tailor on hand and sold Krupenheimer suits in their menswear department. I think today's young dads tend to go to places like Banana Republic in order to find that basic tog nowadays.

What do you think?

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Banana BOAT Republic

Long gone are the BR days of a wrecked jeep a their
entrance & wicker baskets holding Swiss leather ammunition
pouches.

For young career types is probably a less in your face salesman
experience than Jos. Banks or Brooks Brothers. Also @ BR you
have limited inventory to wade thru.

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

ortega76

Practically Family
I like the newer BR offerings. You're right- it's great to see someone taking a few risks instead of having the same cut found at a dozen other places. As a broader guy (I'm short and stocky bt not truly fat), I hate that I can't fit into very much at BR.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
monogram

As far as I know, banana republic has set up a higher end signature line called BR-MONOGRAM.
Theyve opened one MONOGRAM store in NYC, but no where else...yet.

As far as I know, its higher end, higher priced, italian fabrics & slimmer fit.

I assume this is to compete w/ the Brooks Bros Black Fleece store thats set to open in NYC.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Not bad, I like how vests are making a comeback again (like they do every so often). One thing, though, that I don't like is the lapels are nearly on the top of the shoulders. Can't really seem them way up there.

FRANKIE

New in Town
I actually got that double breasted vest a few days ago. I'd been looking for one for a while and couldn't find one for anything resembling a reasonable price. The BR one was still more expensive than I would have liked, but I'll be wearing it for a long time so I could deal with it. The fabric is lovely, too.

Geesie

Practically Family
I do hope this sticks around (or cycles back around as the case may be) in 3-4 years when I can buy them!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Men's Vests

Harold's Men's Store
Search.aspx
is offering two vests this autumn.
82F22A_large.jpg
82F41R_large.jpg

Brook's Bros. http://search.brooksbrothers.com/?a...f=0&search.x=15&search.y=11&t1=Men&u1=q&u2=t1 Is offering a Tattersall vest
392M_Tan_th.jpg

Jos A Banks is offering two reversible tartan vests (as they did last year) http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=20278

There are more sites such as Paul Frederick Menstyle, etc. that offer vests. The three above seem to have nice items and I have personally shopped at each of them.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Matt Deckard said:
I think today's young dads tend to go to places like Banana Republic in order to find that basic tog nowadays.

What do you think?

Only if the dad is a stick figure. Having said that....I like the direction.

A good start. Keep going BR and you might get there.

Geesie

Practically Family
As a stick figure, I definitely approve of the direction they're going. :p

So those patterned vests above... what would you all wear with those?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
carter said:
I'm disappointed to see Brooks passing this off as a "Tattersall vest." The classic tattersall waistcoat (derived from fox hunting attire) is a solid cream flannel with a blue/maroon, brown/mustard or olive/brick overplaid, four pockets, usually sans lapels. See illustration below left:
aareprint2sf0.jpg

The classic tattersall waistcoat is hard to come by nowadays, found only in shops specializing in English equestrian duds.

Here is a tattersall waistcoat offered by Calcutt & Sons, Ltd. http://www.calcuttandsons.co.uk/acatalog/Gents_Tatt_Waistcoat.html
Tattersallwaistcoat.jpg

It is very poorly described. Has anyone seen one of these? Care to comment on the quality?

carter

I'll Lock Up
In their defense, they did not label the vest as "classic" and they did describe it as "lapelled". Perhaps they could have used better terminology but at least they are offering something that may be of interest to some of their patrons.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
something that looks a little more futuristic and less throwback... we need things that move us forward now and again.

If you ask me, if they had more "throwbacks" then suits would really look good! If going forward means wearing suits with low waisted pants and belts hanging below the vest; then color me confused! And fabrics made of lighter then air construction, I'll stick with moth eaten "throwbacks" thank you! You can throw your throwbacks at me if you'd like! ;)

And no matter what you mugs think; jeans with blazers or wool vests is just a very lazy look to me. I just don't understand.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, maybe you do but, the majority of today's manufactures I'm sad to day don't share your vision.

When I look at those photos of men wearing those banana suits, they seem to fit poorly, there is too much break at the hem, and they seem off balanced… not to mention the lack of a fuller cut in the pants.

I like suits to be balanced, and I haven’t seen balance in suits since the 30s or 40s fashions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21