Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DrRJE

New in Town
I got an open crown Fed IV and I'm having a bit of trouble bashing it.

Can I get it to look decent? Sure...but it doesn't stay, and it won't form exactly how I want it to.

The pinches don't stay at all, and the point in the crown wont stay with as deep a "v" as I want in it.

Not sure if it's the shape of this open crown (maybe some are more tapered?), but when I try to get some definition in the "v" in the front, it pushes the angle of the whole front towards the brim, whereas my pre-bashed stylemasters angle back slightly...which seems to be right, or at least look better to me.

Does steam help it maintain shape when it dries?

Any tips would be appreciated :)

thanks!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I got an open crown Fed IV and I'm having a bit of trouble bashing it.

Can I get it to look decent? Sure...but it doesn't stay, and it won't form exactly how I want it to.

The pinches don't stay at all, and the point in the crown wont stay with as deep a "v" as I want in it.

Not sure if it's the shape of this open crown (maybe some are more tapered?), but when I try to get some definition in the "v" in the front, it pushes the angle of the whole front towards the brim, whereas my pre-bashed stylemasters angle back slightly...which seems to be right, or at least look better to me.

Does steam help it maintain shape when it dries?

Any tips would be appreciated :)

thanks!
Yes , to get the Bash you want , it's okay to test shape , but to get creases to stay and dents defined you'll need steam . I steamed my first (finally) last night , an Akubra Bushman . I believe the Federation IV has the Higher Straight Crown like the Indiana Jones first Movie Hat . But to define the pinch steam , pinch to the way you want it , steam again . If it doesn't hold first try , try again . It should work . I think you want the V more defined . David Morgan has vids on it , but Kevin at Pork-Pie Hatters really shows how to get the definition desired .

Just get it hot , not really wet , crease , steam again (if it opens , define more) (hold a second) , let it cool . It should stay .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Lots of steam and if you really want to set the crease once you have it where you like it, place it really close to the source of the steam eminating from the steamer so it gets HOT steam and keep it there for several seconds.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
DrRJE, I've had better luck with spraying some distilled water on my hats and shaping them, then letting them dry, than I did with steam. Which included my first open-crown hat, the Akubra Federation IV. The esteemed patrons of this place are much more experienced than I am, though.

DrRJE, I've had better luck with spraying some distilled water on my hats and shaping them, then letting them dry, than I did with steam. Which included my first open-crown hat, the Akubra Federation IV. The esteemed patrons of this place are much more experienced than I am, though.

Both of my Akubras took a dry bash pretty well and I steamed them into place. The "Fedora" is a very soft felt that shapes with no problem. The CD I have is much stiffer, but still didn't fight me too much. Many experienced Akubra owners on here (I don't count) use the distilled water method. The other suggestion I've read is to continue to work the shape after you've been out in the rain, refining the bash until you are satisfied.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah DrRue , Use distilled water , and after wearing the style master , you're probably not used to the look of the crown (as far as looking like its too forward toward the brim) , but Fed IV are cool Fedoras , you'll really love it after getting accustomed to the different look . I used distill water in a tea kettle , got it rolling , steamed softening the crown , then put the dents in . But you can dent and crease , then steam , and define the creases tighter after getting the Hat hot . And adjust as needed .

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Not having a good means of providing a decent volume of steam, I have simply misted mine until very damp, almost wet then shaped and allowed to dry. It's not as fast as steam but works well.
Hi buddy , I thought that was you ! ... I got two Made-Rite Stretchers . You were right Vintage Silhouettes has some great hats and prices ! I should use my other avatar . Thanks for your help . I think I'm going to check with Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters (30 miles away) , and go from there .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Both of my Akubras took a dry bash pretty well and I steamed them into place. The "Fedora" is a very soft felt that shapes with no problem. The CD I have is much stiffer, but still didn't fight me too much. Many experienced Akubra owners on here (I don't count) use the distilled water method. The other suggestion I've read is to continue to work the shape after you've been out in the rain, refining the bash until you are satisfied.

my FedIV was stiff as a board ... it has softened nicely over time ... but out of the box it was one of the stiffest felts I have ever owned

steam made it very workable though

all of my CDs were far softer than the Fed ... shows the inconsistency of Akubra hat felt

but they all age very well

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
This might help too , but there are ... 3 versions , but this is like the original , and you'll notice there is a forward thing in the front of the crown . But nobody will really notice it , except you DrRUE .

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Maybe I am the only one, but the Roy Rogers hat creasing video and the knowledge that my tap water does not leave spots led me to simply hold the crown of my CampDrafts in the warm shower until quite damp and then shape to my tastes. From there, it was a matter of letting it dry and not tweaking the shape too much during the drying process.

Having been in heavy rain while wearing CDs, I know they are not adversely affected by a bit of water. Got wet earlier today.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Fed , you know I watched that . And I've been beat down on by a gully washer , head stayed dry , hat was soaked , let the Resistol XXXX dry slowly on my head mostly , but then turned out the sweat band . That hat conformed to my head better than any , like a glove . I need the brim licked , I guess , it drooped a little by the crown . Otherwise looks great . I let it dry the rest of the way upside down on the crown slowly , as I said , sweat band popped out .

That's a wild crown Roy put in there , I had always heard , like army boots , fill them with water , wait a bit , dump it , then wear them till they're dry , they'll be conformed perfectly (boots , or hat) . That Resistol couldn't fit better . I mean I was soaked . Not endorsing that , but ... it happened , and Roy Rogers vid , ... makes you think .

Last edited:

WJW

New in Town
Wear it in the shower. Yes I'm crazy but it worked for me, because when it's wet it shapes very easily and then air dry it slowly

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm aware of a couple of hatters that wet-block their hats. They use plain tap water.

This reminds me of extremely expensive gold cables for home stereos. Any sound engineer will tell you, that the signal passed several miles through copper cables in the studio. Maybe the last two feet in the consumer's house is very different(?) Or maybe placebo is the manufacturer's very good friend ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ