Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke informal suit

VelahrnDaoine

New in Town
Hello

I have always wanted a suit like the vintage ones from the '20 and '30, with pleats, half belt and action back. Unfortunately, you cannot buy a new one, and, living in Poland means that you cannot find a vintage one. So I decided to order a bespoke suit with all that desired features, because why not?

I bought a vintage piece of fabric from Harrison (about 14 oz pure new wool from John Foster) and went to my tailor, Mr Józef Błoński. All suit is full canvas, without a single drop of glue.

I know that there is a general thread for suits, but I thought that my beauty deserves the one of its own.

So here are the pictures - the suit is still unfinished, so there will be more.

DSC_0034.JPG

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Lovely cloth. I especially like the understated red stripe in there. Nice touch. The cut of the jacket is lovely; I do like a belt back, and those lapels are great.

VelahrnDaoine

New in Town
Plus the cost of the material...correct? I am having a jacket made now at a tailor shop. Just a wool tweed jacket, bespoke but an unstructured, uncanvassed casual jacket. It will cost me $150 for the material (purchased at the mill in Scotland) and $200 for the tailoring. I love your suit, cloth and styling.

Thanks for sucha a kind words!

I bought the fabric on ebay for like 80 GBP ? (about 100 USD), for 4,05 m, so it didn't cost me much. I am pretty amazed about the 200 USD price for your jacket, especially knowing that you are from Canada. For a suit like mine (full-canvased), a tailor must spend about 60 hours working on it, so IMO 800 USD is very affordable price.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
a tailor must spend about 60 hours working on it, so IMO 800 USD is very affordable price.
An artisan in the UK would charge between £20 & £50 per hour, depending on their reputation, so 60 hours at the cheapest rate would be £1200 just for the labour charge. Sounds about right to me.

Thanks for sucha a kind words!

I bought the fabric on ebay for like 80 GBP ? (about 100 USD), for 4,05 m, so it didn't cost me much. I am pretty amazed about the 200 USD price for your jacket, especially knowing that you are from Canada. For a suit like mine (full-canvased), a tailor must spend about 60 hours working on it, so IMO 800 USD is very affordable price.
Yes, my jacket is tailored, two fittings scheduled but it is unstructured, not canvassed at all. I paid 75 british pounds for my material. It is a beautiful light tweed of bracken browns and heather purple that reminds me of the heathered fields of Scotland. 2.5 metres for the jacket. I hoped to get enough for a waistcoat but the tailor doesn't think there will be enough left over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB