Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Aero linings.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I'm deciding which lining to choose for my new Aero. I want a warm one having made a mistake a few years ago by opting for cotton drill to make it a three season jacket and finding it too cold in the winter.

I have a sheepskin so don't want that and it's a toss up between alpaca and tartan. I got some samples the other day and I was surprised at how thick the alpaca is. It's 3mm thick and like a fairly thick felt. The tartan is much thinner, and a lot thinner than a tartan scarf I have. I found a thread here a little while ago where a few people thought there wasn't much in it between the two in terms of warmth. But looking at the current samples I find that hard to credit. Of course materials change all the time and perhaps the alpaca Aero had then was thinner.

Anyone have any direct experience of the warmth and wear characteristics of the two linings? I think alpaca wears less well but I don't give my jackets very hard use.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I started out with a wool tartan lining but found my LHB too warm to wear in late spring and early fall so I had my jacket relined in cotton drill and I could't be happier. It's easy to throw on a light sweater or extra layer if it's really cold outside. Heck, just wrapping a scar around my neck warms me up considerably.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You can get different thicknesses of tartan lining as well. It depends on the jacket you're getting. If you're going for 30s HB and want it to be warm, you might want to go with alpaca, but if it's got a bit of room, then I'd reckon the normal tartan would give you enough space to layer with a warm jumper. It's not been an incredibly cold winter up here this year, and the tartan's seen me well through the worst of it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Getting to be an old fart now. I feel the cold more.

Yep, know the feeling! :D

I have also gone through the same process as you. I found Holly, Sloan, and WDW all to be very helpful in my final selection: Weathered Grant Tartan lining with a 3" corduroy strip at the bottom to protect the hem on my upcoming Teamster. Any additional cost for the tartan would be an insignificant cost in the scheme of things.

Plumbline

One Too Many
How about full cord :) .... haven't tried it but it would be mighty warm and somewhere between tartan and Alpaca.

Alpaca is itchy IMHO with only a T-shirt underneath.

Or

Tartan Blanket ( not 16oz but the sort of material a picnic blanket would be made of) my old brown Highwayman ( the one which dissapeared in Aero's change over ... ) had this type of lining and was amazing to wear and ideal summer or winter.

HTH

R

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Actually, a full corduroy lining is a viable option, and I considered going in that direction but decided not to since I live in Texas. I would certainly go with cord over alpaca (possibly itchy), even in a cold climate. Ken said that cord was a very warm lining. He said that cord sleeve lining would not work though with slimfit sleeves.

I've had the drill and tartan in the past. However..'for me'..the alcapa works well for fall,winter(layered),and spring(in my location). I now have it in all my Aero jackets..several HBs..Highwayman..Bootlegger..and Stuart. It is the only Aero lining that I've found that is reasonably warm for practically all three seasons here. Cotton drill,'for me', doesn't hold much warmth at all. I have a HB with muted plaid horse blanket lining that Aero found in a closed down mill years ago..and used for my jacket and some longer coats. However..it is so heavy that it isn't so wearable in milder seasons. I wonder if full corduroy wouldn't limit a jackets use as well.

My new Stuart in 'Wine' Alcapa..which is somewhat heavier than the brown..

IMG_0742.jpg

Brown Alcapa...

IMG_0598.jpg

Heavy horse blanket lining once offered....

100_0434.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
HD, I really like the 'Wine' Alcapa lining in your Stuart. There are just too many choices available that make decision making times unnecessarily difficult for me! :eusa_doh:

Peacoat

Bartender
When I got my alpaca sample, I had just the opposite reaction than you had. I was surprised at how thin it was. I went ahead and ordered my Highwayman in the alpaca. While not a particularly warm lining, it isn't a cold lining either. If I wanted a warm jacket, I think I would go for the tartan, assuming that is a wool lining. From your description, it does appear that your alpaca sample is thicker than the one I received.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks to all who posted with their experiences. I'm going to have the alpaca. It's what I should have chosen a few years ago with the HWM, although perhaps it was thinner then.

The main drawback seems to be itchiness. But I don't have any problems with wool and happily wear lanolin rich Arans and Guernseys, and a RN type deck sweater that smells strongly of wet sheep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner