Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Ben to be Renamed in Honor of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Why don't people who sell building names, especially sports arenas, realizing that they're undermining the value of their own team brand, surely their most valuable possession, for the short term gain of naming rights? Here in New York, Yankee Stadium is Yankee Stadium. Period.

Nahh, the real Yankee Stadium was torn down. That monstrosity they built across the street is a plastic impostor no matter what they call it.

In the very least they should drop the "of Anaheim" part because now there's quite a few sports teams that are no longer located within the actual city limits of the city that's part of their name.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Nahh, the real Yankee Stadium was torn down. That monstrosity they built across the street is a plastic impostor no matter what they call it.

Well, I have circumnavigated it, and been in the Hard Rock Cafe on the ground level (that's as close to "in" the place I've been.) And while your point is very well taken, the new place is absolutely majestic. They did a heck of a job with it.

Espee

Practically Family
Is it possible Anaheim must be somewhere in the team name, to satisfy a condition of the deal with the city for the stadium? Maybe I read that...
The TEAM has naming rights, to call Anaheim's venue Angels Stadium. As a kid I called it that anyway.

Espee

Practically Family
The first time I heard (on an L.A. radio station) that there was going to be a big soccer game "at the Home Depot Center in Carson" I wondered if they had set up bleachers out front, by the Nursery area and the drive-thru lumber pick-up... or out back, where you always see the forklifts and stacks of pallets.
(A contributing factor was the fact that the city of Carson is not known as a happenin' place.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot