Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jacket and side buckle adjusters, advice please...

Mark

Practically Family
Ordered an SB classic biker jacket couple of weeks ago. Opted for no belt and asked for the optional side adjusters instead. The final order stated double side adjusters both sides. I asked if this was a functional feature or just for show. I was told it just looked more "bad ass". I accepted this initially but it has been bugging me. I prefer a jacket to be functional and generally don't like excessive clutter on a jacket. Besides not sure at my age I want to look "bad ass"!
Have tried to find some pics of double side adjusters to no avail. Anyone out there have them and can show me some pics? As important what do you think, one set of adjusters or two? Would double adjusters give the a classic bike jacket give a more balanced look?
I still have time to amend my order, so any thoughts/pics appreciated.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry about what others think Mark, it's whatever you like. My preference was for the half belt that fastened over the bottom of the zipper, but it's not everyone's choice. You can just make out the unfastened buckle hanging down in this shot. I would add that the photo is twenty years old and the Harley has long gone. Strange too, the leather jacket seems to have shrunk a tad.
on the harley.jpg

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Many of the Lewis Leathers jackets come with double side adjuster buckles. I think they look a lot better than a belt which can be annoying when the jacket isn't zipped and the side adjusters are ideal for cinching the jacket slightly for a trimmer fit. If you opt for neither side adjusters or belt you will be unable to adjust the jacket and will be stuck with whatever size it is out of the box.

For reference and pictures see the link below. The Lewis lightning jacket comes in a number of versions - one with adjusters to the front and one with them on the rear sides of the jacket, the super monza has them to the rear.

https://www.lewisleathers.com/89

Mark

Practically Family
Don't worry about what others think Mark, it's whatever you like. My preference was for the half belt that fastened over the bottom of the zipper, but it's not everyone's choice. You can just make out the unfastened buckle hanging down in this shot. I would add that the photo is twenty years old and the Harley has long gone. Strange too, the leather jacket seems to have shrunk a tad.
View attachment 66842
Hi thanks Sir. The standard belt option looks best but can scratch the tank. You look cool on that Harley, shame it's gone unless you replaced her with another. Yes weird how jackets shrink as you get older, got the same problem!!:(

Mark

Practically Family
Many of the Lewis Leathers jackets come with double side adjuster buckles. I think they look a lot better than a belt which can be annoying when the jacket isn't zipped and the side adjusters are ideal for cinching the jacket slightly for a trimmer fit. If you opt for neither side adjusters or belt you will be unable to adjust the jacket and will be stuck with whatever size it is out of the box.

For reference and pictures see the link below. The Lewis lightning jacket comes in a number of versions - one with adjusters to the front and one with them on the rear sides of the jacket, the super monza has them to the rear.

https://www.lewisleathers.com/89
Hi thanks for that. Classic bike jacket looks similar to your Lightning, looks pretty cool with the double buckles. Do you reckon having two is better than one in respect of pulling in the sides more to give a more trim/air tight fit?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi thanks for that. Classic bike jacket looks similar to your Lightning, looks pretty cool with the double buckles. Do you reckon having two is better than one in respect of pulling in the sides more to give a more trim/air tight fit?

Lewis Leathers also came to mind first, a lot of them have two buckles, it is worth noting that the buckles on the lewis leather jackets are pretty much cosmetic. Now is two buckles twice as good as one? NO.
Purely a visual thing IMO, if anything it might be more annoying to use.

Plumbline

One Too Many
From a stylistic perspective "two side buckles" is a pretty "British" thing .. synonymous with British M/C jackets in the 60's and 70's TBH though I have seen a few vintage jackets reportedly from the late 50's with double adjusters and Derek Harris has a few at Lewis. It was something D-Lewis started I believe and the Lewis Range continued to this day.

US jackets tended to have either a belt ( 1/2 or full) or lace side adjusters ( something the UK never really took on )

For the record the side adjuster is very functional for cinching in the bottom of the jacket and stopping draughts getting through or the jacket riding up and is a feature of many traditional short cut M/C jackets even today ( though velcro has replaced buckles predominately) ... are two better than one ... no.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
I would say the side adjusters are definitely practical rather than cosmetic, I own a couple of Lewis jackets in cowhide and use them for riding, dependent on what I'm wearing underneath I can let the buckles out or cinch them according to requirements.

Are two buckles better than one? Well I've owned some vintage motorcycle jackets and on one of them one of the buckles had broken off, it didn't bother me as I there were two anyway. It also helps a little cosmetically and practically as I find I adjust the bottom buckle slightly more than the upper buckle. Probably worth adding - the Lewis buckles are the only ones I've had that don't slip due to their design so once adjusted they stay adjusted. Also, when the Lewis Bronx jacket came out in the early 60s, the issue of scratching the tank with the belt was addressed by having a rubberised coating applied to the buckle. Not sure if that's an option on the SB but it is still the case on the Lewis Bronx jacket.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys for your comments. Seems there is a split as to weather one or two side buckles are effective or not, mm not sure where to go with that one yet. The other issue touched upon is the belts coming loose, certainly the case with my HWM, 4 would be really annoying I imagine. Corsair42 I like the idea of a rubberised buckle. Think I will contact SB and ask. Cheers.

What others said, two vs one is just a cosmetic thing. I haven't noticed the two buckles would do anything that a single pair can't. It's just the look. I think they do look cool. Mark, if it's a classic Perfecto, why don't you go with the full removable belt and belt loops on the jacket?

Agreement here with what most have said, especially Monitor. On a perfecto style I prefer a removable belt. The buckles seem like more a CR design element to me but that's not to say they wouldn't function well on a lancer type jacket. Depending on how the buckles are spaced I suppose the function of one pair might be to bring in the waist while the other pair would bring in the solar plexus/chest area? If they are right on top of each other it's purely aesthetic.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Ton and Monitor know what their talking about!! IMO the classic biker jacket needs the classic belt to go with it or it looks like something's missing. The Vanson Chopper has side buckles..........I'm surprised SB doesn't have a picture with the buckles.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks guys for your comments. Seems there is a split as to weather one or two side buckles are effective or not, mm not sure where to go with that one yet. The other issue touched upon is the belts coming loose, certainly the case with my HWM, 4 would be really annoying I imagine. Corsair42 I like the idea of a rubberised buckle. Think I will contact SB and ask. Cheers.
If properly installed and fastened, the buckles shouldn't come loose. There have been a couple of threads on this topic over the years.

Edit: Here is the link to one of them with a photograph or two of the proper threading technique.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...rap-on-my-highwayman-keep-coming-loose.70673/

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
Well, I don’t ride, so I have no idea what works best there. But I would always get a jacket with the loops for the belt and no side adjusters. If you want to tighten it, just pull a belt through it, if not, just leave it out. I just think it looks better. And I would always go with buttoned belt loops, so they can’t tear.

However, I think side adjusters also look good, I just prefer belt loops on an MC jacket.

Just saw that Monitor and Ton share the same opinion, so I’m sorry to repeat theirs...

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
What others said, two vs one is just a cosmetic thing. I haven't noticed the two buckles would do anything that a single pair can't. It's just the look. I think they do look cool. Mark, if it's a classic Perfecto, why don't you go with the full removable belt and belt loops on the jacket?
It's SB's classic bike jacket, similar if not same as the perfecto. I could go for a removable belt as you say but and this is my OCD bit; If it has a belt I must use it! (which I will not cos it scratches your tank) Hate stuff on clothing that serves no purpose. Value your opinion in particular Monitor, so if you say they serve little/no purpose as other have suggested then I will have a word with Debs at SB and see what she says. Thanks.

Mark

Practically Family
Well, I don’t ride, so I have no idea what works best there. But I would always get a jacket with the loops for the belt and no side adjusters. If you want to tighten it, just pull a belt through it, if not, just leave it out. I just think it looks better. And I would always go with buttoned belt loops, so they can’t tear.

However, I think side adjusters also look good, I just prefer belt loops on an MC jacket.

Just saw that Monitor and Ton share the same opinion, so I’m sorry to repeat theirs...
no that's fine, value your opinion. I am warming to the idea of taking the belt out and just having the loops. Of course can only do this if the jacket is a snug fit. Thank you.

Reactions: A-1

Mark

Practically Family
If properly installed and fastened, the buckles shouldn't come loose. There have been a couple of threads on this topic over the years.

Edit: Here is the link to one of them with a photograph or two of the proper threading technique.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...rap-on-my-highwayman-keep-coming-loose.70673/
Thank you Peacoat, will have a read as soon as I reply to the good folks here. Funny I have searched here for some info on buckles and side adjusters but came up with nearly 0!

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys. As some of you have alluded to this style does look better and more balanced with a belt. I thought that from the off but could not come up with a solution that works. Have already emailed Debs at SB to ask about a rubberised buckle to avoid tank scratches.

Thanks guys. As some of you have alluded to this style does look better and more balanced with a belt. I thought that from the off but could not come up with a solution that works. Have already emailed Debs at SB to ask about a rubberised buckle to avoid tank scratches.
That's an interesting idea! Depending on what you ride they do make tank guards that might fit as well. I understand at that point your messing with your bikes looks so maybe that's out. And what you said earlier nails it. If it's fitted up just right you won't need it anyway. TBH I've never used a belt but my riding jacket does have laces....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner