Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK Durable "The Wild One" One Star Double Rider

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Ok guys since this thread has been resurrected and been talking about the Wild One jacket, just would like to mention that Toys Mccoy has going to reproduce this jacket in their coming spring/summer collections. Photos attached.
D5665A6A-638E-46C4-B631-AEEC8B9ACE19.jpeg

0276E44B-7678-410A-9F03-36E3B4475FB1.jpeg

PolarMoon

New in Town
Ok guys since this thread has been resurrected and been talking about the Wild One jacket, just would like to mention that Toys Mccoy has going to reproduce this jacket in their coming spring/summer collections. Photos attached. View attachment 306729
View attachment 306730

Wonderful! And it appears to be more accessible than the Bill Kelso version financially. Would love if more makers did replicas of the Durable jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Looks good. Even better, there's a version without all the Wild One stuff.

http://toys-mccoy.shop-pro.jp/?pid=156441665

Nice. Definitely a good idea to do a 'blank' version. I have a cheap, Perfecto copy that I had done up with the BRMC markings as a costume piece, but I wouldn't want to buy an expensive jacket with it on it as it's kinda limiting. Certainly wouldn't wear it anywhere some hardcore MC might affect to take offence, least of Outlaws (who, ironically, originally based their logo on the BRMC...).

Would love if more makers did replicas of the Durable jacket.

I've toyed with the idea before now of talking to Aero on this. The basic shape of their MC P type is "right" to my eye, but the big thing is the long sleeve zips on a Durable. The other bits are relatively minor details - the stars on the epaulettes, the shape of the zip-puller... The tricky question, imo, is whether to go chrome or brass. Everybody assumes now it was chrome, but brass would look the same in B&W. The few colour photos I've seen of the jacket, it's all shiny brass, but I'm not certain whether those were colour, or colourised... If they're 'right', they change a lot of assumptions about the whole outfit - colour of the jacket fittings, colour of the t-shirt...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. Definitely a good idea to do a 'blank' version. I have a cheap, Perfecto copy that I had done up with the BRMC markings as a costume piece, but I wouldn't want to buy an expensive jacket with it on it as it's kinda limiting. Certainly wouldn't wear it anywhere some hardcore MC might affect to take offence, least of Outlaws (who, ironically, originally based their logo on the BRMC...).

I've toyed with the idea before now of talking to Aero on this. The basic shape of their MC P type is "right" to my eye, but the big thing is the long sleeve zips on a Durable. The other bits are relatively minor details - the stars on the epaulettes, the shape of the zip-puller... The tricky question, imo, is whether to go chrome or brass. Everybody assumes now it was chrome, but brass would look the same in B&W. The few colour photos I've seen of the jacket, it's all shiny brass, but I'm not certain whether those were colour, or colourised... If they're 'right', they change a lot of assumptions about the whole outfit - colour of the jacket fittings, colour of the t-shirt...
I know a few people who are actually interested in the painted copy. Toys McCoy owner Hiroshi Okamoto is well known for his artwork in particular Felix the Cat and Looney Tunes on his limited edition military pieces. Although this Wild One Durable has a much simpler monotone arrangement , there are still people who would pay the premium.
https://blueingreensoho.com/pages/toys-mccoy-opening

Edward

Bartender
I know a few people who are actually interested in the painted copy. Toys McCoy owner Hiroshi Okamoto is well known for his artwork in particular Felix the Cat and Looney Tunes on his limited edition military pieces. Although this Wild One Durable has a much simpler monotone arrangement , there are still people who would pay the premium.
https://blueingreensoho.com/pages/toys-mccoy-opening

Oh, money no object I'd have one, believe me!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The tricky question, imo, is whether to go chrome or brass. Everybody assumes now it was chrome, but brass would look the same in B&W. The few colour photos I've seen of the jacket, it's all shiny brass, but I'm not certain whether those were colour, or colourised... If they're 'right', they change a lot of assumptions about the whole outfit - colour of the jacket fittings, colour of the t-shirt...
Look at vintage Durable jackets which have traded hands and you'll see they've all been yellow brass. I think it's reasonable to assume the film's costume department didn't swap them out for the movie. In fact, as we've talked about in another thread, it appears the only mod they did was remove the quilted lining, which transformed the look of the thing, and guarantees that repro jackets with the lining are not going to drape the same way the film jacket did.

Edward

Bartender
Look at vintage Durable jackets which have traded hands and you'll see they've all been yellow brass. I think it's reasonable to assume the film's costume department didn't swap them out for the movie. In fact, as we've talked about in another thread, it appears the only mod they did was remove the quilted lining, which transformed the look of the thing, and guarantees that repro jackets with the lining are not going to drape the same way the film jacket did.

Right enoug,h all the originals I've seen were brass. Bill Kelso's- claimed to be an "exact" repro is chrome, so I'd sort of assumed there might have been some in chrome, but then again they are known for a tiny touch of hyperbole in their marketing.

Removing the quilted lining would have that effect, right enough. I've been tempted to experiment with a non-liner jacket before now, but I rather think I'd prefer to do that with something much cheaper.... A plain, drill lining might be a reasonable compromise.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right enoug,h all the originals I've seen were brass. Bill Kelso's- claimed to be an "exact" repro is chrome, so I'd sort of assumed there might have been some in chrome, but then again they are known for a tiny touch of hyperbole in their marketing.

Removing the quilted lining would have that effect, right enough. I've been tempted to experiment with a non-liner jacket before now, but I rather think I'd prefer to do that with something much cheaper.... A plain, drill lining might be a reasonable compromise.
The original that was loaned to BK has brass hardware. It was posted on page 4 of this thread.

PolarMoon

New in Town

Regarding the minor details, I think the members from here who own the originals can send you the measurements of them, such as the sleeve zippers. But I don't think the colour matters as much since the movie was in B&W but if you want to play safe, go for the Brass since there are more evidence to support it (including Marlon Brando's Madamme Tussad Statue).

Nevertheless, you have my support. I'd love to see a replica made by Aero! :D Certainly they have some knowledge since they are the ones that did it for the wax statue.

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
The original that was loaned to BK has brass hardware. It was posted on page 4 of this thread.
This is true. I have also seen plenty of Durables with chrome hardware. There is not a lot of consistency with these jackets as to a lot of the little details. I did a little looking around on my hard drive and I'm linking to a bunch of photos of various Durables I've either had or seen online.

https://imgur.com/a/dnQ0NiW

Last edited:

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
Anyone on FL ever bought one ?
The Bill Kelso version of the Wild One jacket?

I loaned BK my Durable and received a BK Wild One jacket as payment for letting them use my jacket as a model. I've posted pictures of both upthread, but I will try to get pictures of both of them for comparison tomorrow.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
The Bill Kelso version of the Wild One jacket?

I loaned BK my Durable and received a BK Wild One jacket as payment for letting them use my jacket as a model. I've posted pictures of both upthread, but I will try to get pictures of both of them for comparison tomorrow.
Good ...Never see many fit pics or reviews of them ...

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
This is from the FilmJackets.com forums, but a few years ago I bought a vintage Durable from E-bay and had it restored. Note some of the small details don't quite match Brando's but it's broadly similar.

Well, I was able to acquire a beat up old Durable jacket. Picked up new zippers on E-bay, worked with Dena Hamilton from http://www.greatleather.com/ to fix the jacket up. She replaced the sleeve zippers, main zipper, fixed the pocket zipper, replaced the missing half of the belt, sourced new quilted lining, resewed the seams, and redyed the jacket. It's like brand new!

:thumbsup:

Here's a bunch of before and after pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff