Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

MarineDad

New in Town
Picked this up at Goodwill last night for $10 while looking for some ties. Took these quick pictures this morning. It looks flawless. I will try to get a front and back shot in a few days.

Harris Tweed.jpg

Harris Tweed 2.jpg

shonofear

New in Town
hey,
im a recent discoverer of all things tweed and searching ebay for a cheap entry into having my very first tweed sport jacket but have a question...
it seems the majority of tweed jackets are single vented and after reading the debates between single vs dual vents i feel sorta inclined to be more patient for a side vent version to pop up.

should i get a cheaper more available single vent jacket to get me started?
and if i do end up with a center vent jacket, would stitching up a harris tweed type jacket center vent take away its originality?
my main concern is that i do have a extra wide behind/hips.

cheers 4 ya help.
shono

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Seller claimed these were 1980's does 1950's, but it looks more 1960's does 1920's to me, but I've been searching far and wide for heavy weight herringbone slacks and for $14 bucks these fit the bill regardless of age.
6b875ed6-e6f6-4a9b-952d-e6893ce4306f_zps791b5b3b.jpg

CIMG5494_zps21211470.jpg

1940's tweed Hollywood waist slacks.
CIMG5495_zpsd71301f7.jpg

Small WPL number had me at firstthinking these are early '40s slacks, but with the war going on where would tailors have gotten wool imported from? Unless possibly these are early postwar slacks.
CIMG5496_zpsad2b04c8.jpg

Material matches a flat cap I have from around the same era. Origional button close looks like it was replaced with the modern metal clasp sometime after the 1950's.
CIMG5498_zps53f1eb88.jpg

CIMG5499_zpsbc5e886d.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's an unusual one. I think it's the first time I've handled a Harris Tweed jacket with peaked lapels. It was made by CWS (Cooperative Wholesale Society):

picture-2_zps9c69cfdb.jpg

Picture-1_zps04ac5d03.jpg

picture-4_zps1506fe5f.jpg

picture-5_zpse32a5ad2.jpg

I tried to get a close up to show the colour, but it wasn't very successful. It's actually much greener than this suggests.
picture-3_zps06e20f69.jpg

What date would you think for this jacket? I don't have much of a knowledge of Harris labels but thought this style was circa 1950s, although the peaked lapels wouldn't fit with that period. The angle of the cutaway on the jacket also made me think it could be earlier, and the CWS label looks forties (but again, I'm not really familiar with their labels).

Any thoughts?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
nice jacket TT. i'd go for a safe bet of mid-late 40s. the cutaway is reminiscent of some early 20s Brit jackets, but nothing else about the jacket suggests that date, so i think it's something of an anomaly.

(i have a Selfridges jacket of near identical fabric, but i prefer yours as it's got peaked lapels).

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Very nice! This is the famous Lovat green, right?

I would move the buttons a bit to the edge... especially the top one pulls quite a bit to the side.

"Made from 100% Pure Wool" on the label suggests late 40s at earliest. The earlier ones, including the one on VFG, lacked this wool content statement. Along with that particular CWS Society wear label, I would certainly plump for an early 50s date on it.

Why would peak lapels not be right for a 50s date?

They were around. Maybe less popular - one of the reasons my grandad hated his demob suit (w/ peak lapels incidentally) was 'cause it looked like a pre-war suit. This could have been a contrbuting factor, I guess - but still an option. I've see a few over the years.

That said, I have never seen a Harris Tweed jacket with peak lapels. And I've never seen peak lapels quite like those! They remind me mostly of the lapels on your Bookster suits …

I've never really seen much in the way of peak lapels in the fifties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo