Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

Metatron

One Too Many
I am surprised that tweed jackets with peak lapels are so rare!
The nice thing is that it works well with the the sober tweed, gives it some 'edge'.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: thinking back a year or so, I recall seeing a tweed jacket on ebay (maybe for sale by 'Wardrobe Department'?) which had the same twenties looking cutaway. However closer indspection showed it to be 40s or 50s. So maybe there was a revival of the the 20s cutaway at that time.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, this is a lovely pattern and cut!

Here also a late-40's to early-50's British Harris Tweed sportcoat:

Tweed1.jpg
SAM_6774.jpg

SAM_6775.jpg

itsbruce

Familiar Face
Longstanding fan of tweed. I have two tweed suits (one with both plus twos and straight-leg trousers, so I can use it for cycling but also for the office), two tweed trilbies, several tweed caps (including a Dashing Tweeds one I was given as a birthday present, with reflective thread weaved in to make it useful for cycling at night) and a covert coat.

Suit one (too warm a day for the jacket):

6415287055_bf7b5d679d_z.jpg

Suit two:

14222810166_7c29b0b3f2_z.jpg
14290226605_4bd2683330_c.jpg

Covert coat:

7152621457_cff56de7bf_c.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. Stunning suit at a good price!
Note that the label has the "100% pure wool" line. This dates it to the mid-40's to mid-50's. The label used until the mid-40's lacked this line.

VM, would be great if you could show more of this suit.
Is it American or British?
Hi there I live in North Wales. the suit was made by a tailor "Meredith" just 45 min away. sadly no longer in business, I bought it in Llandudno !! it has button fly, braces buttons, turn ups and flap pockets on the jacket.
VM

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My apologies in advance, for this is actually the wrong thread for this suit. It look more like a "normal" rough finish wool than tweed. I didn't know where else to post it.

I recently came across this three-piece (not mine) in a very small size which has me puzzled. It's a Botany brand suit which looks pre-war, but then again the lapel and the overall balance looks odd to me, although I can't put my finger on it.

How would you date this thing?

According to the description, there is only one tag in it (in the pics), reading: "Botany Future Executive Tailored for Carson Sirie Scott & Co. University Shop".
Going by the judgement of the seller, the lining is silky. The waistcoat is reversible.

NkxX9YC.jpg

i51rqoM.jpg

fxwtCUt.jpg

YBquiDL.jpg

iT7OKcp.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
These kind of fancy liners, together with the waistcoat cut (only 2 pockets) and the rear vent strongly suggest 1960s.
However I like the conservative cut... the high waist with cuffed legs and the jacket cut give it a mid-20s style IMO.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Good man, thanks Fastuni. I overlooked the center vent. I had a hunch the fancy liner indicated 1960s, but wasn't sure about this particular liner.
I agree, the conservative cut is rather nice. The measurements provided are incomplete (chest 19", shoulder 16", trouser waist 28", missing info on jacket length and waistcoat), but if someone - TT perhaps - is looking for another inexpensive small suit for a teenager, here is the link to the Etsy listing:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/186452...Z&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo