BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Mario, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Turquoise tweed Hardwick
    [​IMG]

2. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

Here is a pic of my Huntsman 4 piece Huntsman.jpg

esteban68 likes this.
  3. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

And a shot of my houndstooth... Oct180035.JPG DSCF3140.JPG DSCF3143.JPG

Ticklishchap likes this.
  4. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Is this just for the pictures or do you usually let you braces hang out like this?

5. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

I actually quite like my box cloth braces to hang outside of the waistband.... although I do not always do it.. depends on how eccentric Im feeling!!

6. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

I bought a tweed jacket on Sunday, I've no full pictures yet but believe it's a 50's or 60's item , single rear short vent, three button front...here's the labels does anyone recognise the brand? lining is a slick red/green/bronze irridecsent sort of colour.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

bizarrely it's labelled as a 12 but is definately a mens jacket!

7. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

First Avenue Styling by Michael Richard
    [​IMG]

esteban68 likes this.
  8. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    esteban68 likes this.
  9. BriarWolf

BriarWolf One of the Regulars

Following a ceremony with my local SUVCW chapter.

harriscampcrop.jpg

10. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Love the cloth on that one DM, Cookie thats a beaut! BW here's almost it's twin!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm thinking it's a 70's or 80's job?, condition is immaculate and unworn? the buttons have never been through the button holes....it's a perfect fir perhaps an inch long in the body, thinking of having one or two more buttons added to the front and the gorge altered? it seems quite unstructured in the lapels so may be possible?

I found it of all places in a charity shop in Andalucia, Spain for three Euros! why you'd want to wear Harris tweed in 38c I don't know!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Because you'd wear it in winter presumably. ;)

12. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

I suppose as it's light weight Harris then possibly, it gets down to around 10 degrees Centigrade I am told in the winter I am told.

13. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Yes, I am often in Cyprus and the winter is certainly cold enough for medium weight tweed, but heavy tweed and overcoats are almost redundant.

esteban68 likes this.
  14. fiftyforfifty

fiftyforfifty Sponsoring Affiliate

Harris tweed is no doubt a great thing. If weather allows its sort of must have.

15. Jim C

Jim C New in Town

Hello all,
    I recently bought this lovely tweed jacket on eBay. The seller listed it as dated 1942 from the label inside the inner pocket but after searching the net for 1940s Harrods labels I'm not that sure it is from that time, looks more like 1950s to me. It is a 42" chest so I'm wondering if that is what the label refers to. If anyone on here knows about Harrods label dating I'd be most grateful for their input. The shoulders have padding too - unusual during wartime rationing?
    Another oddity is the Harris Tweed label. There is no orb present so I'm asuming it's not the official Harris tweed, which is surprising considering it was made or sold at Harrods.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

esteban68 likes this.
  16. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

It's a nice jacket that's for sure.....lovely cloth and I do think genuine Harris.

17. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Nice Tweed!

The numbers seem to suggest both a size 42 (though a 42'' chest on the jacket means a size 40), and a date with the year 1942.
    Does it fit you? What size do you usually have.

No. Perfectly usual for period garments. Padding didn't go away due to wartime rationing. Thankfully.

18. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

The lapels seem narrow for the date on the label but it's possible they were shortened at some point later, a regular practice to keep old jackets from looking dated. Either way, a beautiful tweed, and a great find!

19. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Very nice. The lapels don't look like they've been narrowed, and they certainly give it the look of a fifties jacket. Yet the old style Harris label certainly looks old. It's not one I've ever seen before. The black Harris label looks pretty standard but the interior label looks different to later ones I've seen.

20. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

If anything it looks like it should have another buttonhole maybe the gorge has been altered making it higher?