Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

Thanks!

Abraham Moon is a pretty old fabric mill (almost 180 years) in Yorkshire. I see the label quite often.

There are a few different geographic "styles" of tweed. Harris Tweed is the only trademarked and protected name. There's even a law protecting it in Great Britain.

The geographic tweeds that I can think of off the top of my head are:
Harris
Shetland
Yorkshire
Donegal

Thank you. It is interesting and even a bit surprising that the other Tweeds haven't trademarked their names. It seems that everything that can branded and sold is - especially if you have been around a long time (with the hipsters all about "authenticity," you'd think they'd love a 180 years old Tweed "brand") - so, again, surprising these Tweeds haven't been protected and marketed aggressively.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Don't say it too loud But I think Donegal takes some beating, Harris is good stuff especially the older stuff which has some great weaves....sadly hipsters have jumped on the Harris bandwagon over here which has pushed prices up quite a bit!

Don't say it too loud But I think Donegal takes some beating, Harris is good stuff especially the older stuff which has some great weaves....sadly hipsters have jumped on the Harris bandwagon over here which has pushed prices up quite a bit!

I hear you. I love my Yorkshire Tweed - it is a thick, substantial weave, but with good hand (not stiff) and has beautiful mutated multiple colors and a ghost herringbone pattern. I also own several Harris Tweed items and could not honestly argue that one feels or has performed superior to the other.

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
I hear you. I love my Yorkshire Tweed - it is a thick, substantial weave, but with good hand (not stiff) and has beautiful mutated multiple colors and a ghost herringbone pattern. I also own several Harris Tweed items and could not honestly argue that one feels or has performed superior to the other.

Honestly, I love both my Donegal jacket and my Yorkshire jacket. I also have a thinner modern Italian tweed jacket that I like for hotter days. I don't have a Harris Jacket, but I'm on the lookout for the right one. :D

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Love this suit pretty old Donegal pattern IMO. I have a photo of a similar one from the 20s.

Thanks for the props Cookie (and everyone else). The jacket in your photo is awesome. I really love the lapels. Could be twins with my suit for sure. Well, maybe an uncle or something.

itsbruce

Familiar Face

There is some lovely Irish tweed out there. Found this in a vintage stall in Herne Hill market a few months ago, for a friend:

10943138_10203781612040607_983499887_o.jpg

The only mark in it was this:

11073990_10152651062370764_824875080_n.jpg

Accessorised in style here:

10423913_921275891228370_1049128638543868860_n.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Amzing size. I like to think someone will snap that up?

What happened with the green tweed suit that was large, but not as large, do you still have it?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
It's now with a friend in Munich who fits perfectly into it - it's his first vintage suit. Size 56 Long with a narrower waist but wide chest.
The almost 69 cm sleeves and the back would have been too long for you, while the trousers would have needed a wedge, as you will remember.

But I might have something fitting for you.

Metatron

One Too Many
Great jacket. I'm surprised that the black/grey herringbone tweed is so underused, it is probably the most understated and 'city appropriate' style there is.
rather unusual but inspired pattern matching there Fastuni.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
It's actually dark grey and light grey tweed.
Regarding the shirt and tie... I think it also works well because of the texture/fabric of the flanell shirt and wool tie.

Metatron

One Too Many
I'd say it's quite neutral, shouldn't be a problem for any complexion? Maybe a bit tricky to match with trousers if your trousers are grey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21