Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Cheers Eddie ,the suit is a pinky hue in normal light but more tan in bright sunlight, it just needs turn ups putting in properly as opposed to my amateur Harry turned over effort and the sleeve length sorting both of which are easily do able! The wife found it and I couldn't believe the condition or price Eddie!
I keep looking for good Barney Good man stuff as it's always well made no nonsense stuff, I'm sure it's a Good man after comparing it with others I have but this one is the first I've found that fits well!

I agree on the jacket style Eddie the thirties look is great if your tall and slim sadly I'm neither and even at my lightest still have the look of a doorman! 50's onwards jackets at least I the UK are a little less fitted and very comfortable to wear.

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Cheers Eddie ,the suit is a pinky hue in normal light but more tan in bright sunlight, it just needs turn ups putting in properly as opposed to my amateur Harry turned over effort and the sleeve length sorting both of which are easily do able! The wife found it and I couldn't believe the condition or price Eddie!
I keep looking for good Barney Good man stuff as it's always well made no nonsense stuff, I'm sure it's a Good man after comparing it with others I have but this one is the first I've found that fits well!

I agree on the jacket style Eddie the thirties look is great if your tall and slim sadly I'm neither and even at my lightest still have the look of a doorman! 50's onwards jackets at least I the UK are a little less fitted and very comfortable to wear.

Nice to know it's a locally made one! I've got a sports jacket in a very similar tweed to that actually, but it's one of those semi-riding coat type of things. A hacking jacket I suppose. Smashing suit though!

Yes you're right about the style of 1950s jackets. Plus, 1930s/1940s ones are harder to get hold of at reasonable prices really :/ And they are indeed very comfortable - you can go from working to lounging at home to the pub in one, and they always sit nice!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
A purchase whilst standing at a vintage fair on Sunday, I was offered it at right at the end of the dayat a knock down price.
Nominally a 42" with high arm holes and twin short rear vents, being immaculate and a perfect fit on the shoulders and almost on length but close enough for me just possibly an inch too long.
At some point it's been let out in the chest this can be seen where the lining has been adjusted so I just need to get it taken back in!

A mid/late 1960's John G Hardy 'Hardisport'.
28upc36.jpg
33usxuo.jpg

dbjpu.jpg
hs2olt.jpg

122dtdv.jpg
2enc2so.jpg

2j7eqr.jpg
29duusj.jpg

358cow5.jpg
25rm5wy.jpg

Last edited:

PeterB

One of the Regulars
I believe so Peter, I bought it to sell on thinking it was too big but as it fits on the shoulders and jacket length I can see it moving into my wardrobe when it's been taken back in!

Wear it in peace, and long may you enjoy it. Good old jackets kind of grow on you, don't they?

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
A purchase whilst standing at a vintage fair on Sunday, I was offered it at right at the end of the dayat a knock down price.
Nominally a 42" with high arm holes and twin short rear vents, being immaculate and a perfect fit on the shoulders and almost on length but close enough for me just possibly an inch too long.
At some point it's been let out in the chest this can be seen where the lining has been adjusted so I just need to get it taken back in!

A mid/late 1960's John G Hardy 'Hardisport'.
28upc36.jpg
33usxuo.jpg

dbjpu.jpg
hs2olt.jpg

122dtdv.jpg
2enc2so.jpg

2j7eqr.jpg
29duusj.jpg

358cow5.jpg
25rm5wy.jpg

Looks like a Hacking Jacket. I have one quite similar - they're traditionally cut a little longer than a suit jacket, so yours is probably spot-on.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Harris tweed is great. I have an overcoat made of Harris tweed that has not long come out of storage and is doing sterling duty keeping me super toasty. I've got an old grey jacket/sports coat that gets lots of use and I know Santa is bringing me a blue/grey jacket for chrimbo.
I'm planning to save up for a tweed suit for next winter.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to confess that I too am a tweedaholic. I've been living here under the tropical sun since 1987 and have a cedar closet full of tweed jackets that I add to every year. I simply can't resist a beautiful tweed, particularly one in an interesting pattern that's going for peanuts on ebay or Etsy. Right now there's a gorgeous black and brown houndstooth (advertised as herringbone) in a 38 on Etsy going for $35.00! I mentioned it to my wife last night but got that "Where do you live?" look. Maybe I can become a politician, do a bit of far-fetched research, and claim that the world's actually getting colder.

tropicalbob

Stratcat, have you seen any of the suits on SJC's thread? There are some truly mouthwatering tweeds and designs available at reasonable prices. Beautiful work, as well.

tropicalbob

Strat, I'm sorry, but I'm terrible at such things. If you type in "SJC" in the Search box at the top you'll see the thread for his enterprise. Then, on the first few pages you'll see a link to the SJC forum. It's the wonderful idea of Simon James Cathcart, who has started his own clothing line, and on the site the members discuss ideas they have for suits, jackets, you name it. There are quite a few familiar personalities fron right here on the Lounge. It's a really fascinating site and a great idea.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

On the Classified page right now, Tweedydon has several pairs of tweed tartan trousers selling at very reasonable prices. I'd go for a pair myself, but the Mrs. put the kibosh on the idea as she lives in mortal fear that I'm morphing into my father. Dad was a pioneer of asymmetrical tartan combinations, and caused red alerts to be issued in the control tower at Newark Intl. Airport every time he went on a golfing expedition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points