Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon Discussion Thread

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Started my education with some Jim Beam straight Kentucky Bourbon. Since 1795... was interested to learn that Johannes Boehm was a German immigrant to Kentucky who anglicized his name to Beam. The Beam family has been running the operation for seven generations, same basic recipe. A good straight forward bourbon with a hint of caramel and vanilla. And you can’t beat the price.

Not sure if you already found that, the below link leads to a list of mash bills, some popular brands and outputs included.

https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-whiskey-mash-bills/

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Never sampled Buffalo Trace and have been sticking to the bottom shelf with Evan Williams.

I find Williams the tried and true brand but occasionally buy Makers Mark or Wild Turkey 101.
A few dollars more but once in a while I indulge myself.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cheap and good old time booze is something i come back to in a traditional pub, a Gedeck = set menu.
In northern Germany typically a Korn shot (wheat white dog) or Aquavit and a small beer.

Herrengedeck.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-3_19-24-5.jpeg
    upload_2021-7-3_19-24-5.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 627

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sipping Evan Williams over ice but my curved English briar's bowl is bereft of tobacco.
Had some reserve Frog Morton Virginia tins around somewhere....

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Makers Mark tonight!

The occasional nip but lower end glass such as Evan Williams adequately sate my plebeian palate.
Occsionally Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey 101. A gifted bottle of lower end tea called Angel Wings
tastes like the bird at considerably less cost.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Bulleit's limestone water gives a different taste to bourbon, unique but not so singular so as to be a game changer.:)
At this point I will say it is definitely much different then my regulars buffalo trace and makers Mark . A little bit of a soapy taste but we shall see …

Harp

I'll Lock Up
At this point I will say it is definitely much different then my regulars buffalo trace and makers Mark . A little bit of a soapy taste but we shall see …

An occasional flirtation with Bulleit is fine but my Irish plebeian palate prefers the consistent taste of
lower end stock Evan Williams. Maker's Mark aims for consistency with its batch distilling, which I enjoy
but Wild Turkey 101 is probably as top shelf as I'll go. The latter brands are more exceptioned and typically
chosen in post season baseball and basketball play; especially knock-down dragout games. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner