Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Pound hits a 23 year low against the dollar

cookie

I'll Lock Up
No one wants to admit that the UK system is bankrupt and they will probably nationalise a few more banks. The GBP is the same as the EUR. Gordon Brown has already pumped in GBP550 billion for no apparent relief.

The good news?

For Yanks et al they are predicting parity with the USD in the not too distant future a la 1980s so hold off on that Aero or pair of UK shoes for the price of AEs.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
With the current global financial situation it's hard for me to even muster up a halfhearted smile; while a year ago I would have been dancing in the streets upon hearing such news. That said, I'll probably jump the puddle a few times and buy a thing or two.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
:mad: :rage: :mad:

Think I'll be having to withdraw from Ebay bidding on USA items for a while, costing me too much.

On the :) side, if all you USA lot buy stuff from here our exports will rise which might help safeguard some jobs. Always a silver lining... :D

Edward

Bartender
nickn5 said:
:mad: :rage: :mad:

Think I'll be having to withdraw from Ebay bidding on USA items for a while, costing me too much.

It's the postage that is the real killer.... just before Christmas, I watched several Maltese Falcon Replicas - quite nice ones, if not on the level of MK's - sell for a little over twenty quid..... but at well over GBP40 for the postage, I had to pass.... This didn't used to be the case, even allowing for the strong dollar...

On the :) side, if all you USA lot buy stuff from here our exports will rise which might help safeguard some jobs. Always a silver lining... :D

I'm sure UK folks employed in manufacturing are very happy with the situation - all three of them! ;)

For the US, now is definitely the time to buy from the UK - the only potential downside is that tourism into the US, already markedly down over the last few years, is likely to take a further hit.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It's really refreshing to have a "stronger" dollar. I had pretty much written off buying anything priced in Euros and Pounds. And I too can use a new Aero!

Peacoat

Bartender
cookie said:
No one wants to admit that the UK system is bankrupt and they will probably nationalise a few more banks. The GBP is the same as the EUR. Gordon Brown has already pumped in GBP550 billion for no apparent relief.

The good news?

For Yanks et al they are predicting parity with the USD in the not too distant future a la 1980s so hold off on that Aero or pair of UK shoes for the price of AEs.

I was going to get started on another order from Aero today, but I think I will hold off and see what happens. Might give Mark an email and see what his take on the situation is.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
Looks like it's time to order an Aero!

Aero? Actually, I've been buying these hundred-year-old British game guns since before the holidays. Better investment. ;)

352402877.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Bob Smalser said:
Aero? Actually, I've been buying these hundred-year-old British game guns since before the holidays. Better investment. ;)

352402877.jpg

One of those would look very pretty indeed hanging in my lounge, though I doubt our gun laws over here would permit it - assuming they're not decommissioned, that is.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I was just looking at eBay, and saw a helmet mislabelled as a "WW2 Dispatch Rider helmet"- I recognized it for what it was-a Cromwell TT helmet from the '50s ,and was fortunate to win it for a nominal sum-It arrived from England in 7 days. I'm buying lots of stuff for my motorcycles from England these days.

Peacoat

Bartender
Creeping Past said:
Apologies if this comes across sounding precious, but could you fellows over the pond keep the cheering down to a minimum? :rolleyes:

At last, at long suffering last! Now for some more Aeros. Yes! (Said with a smile on my face, of course)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I would never be one the bet against our British cousins, and they certainly make excellent goods that I cannot get enough of; so this is the time to buy as much Brigg, Barbour, and whatever else I can.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
I'm trying to convince my wife that the favorable exchange rate makes this a great time to buy a Morgan 4/4. Tough sell. Besides by the time my number came up on the waiting list the dollar might be ornate toilet paper.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
One of those would look very pretty indeed hanging in my lounge, though I doubt our gun laws over here would permit it - assuming they're not decommissioned, that is.

Sadly, the laws do forbid it. You have to keep it in a gun safe (assuming you can even get a licence) but I'm sure you could take it out and stare at it lovingly every so often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass