Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone identify the woman in this 1930s photo?

TessTrueheart

Vintage Betty said:
I won't tell you any more....just because I want to keep you in suspense. :D

You can thank me later.

Vintage Betty

Oh, you are a cruel, cruel lady! ;)

God, I hope you solve this mystery!

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Patience, people, patience!

I won't tell you any more....just because I want to keep you in suspense. :D

You can thank me later.

Vintage Betty

Make it quick, please.
It's not just may name she is calling now.
She is starting to ask me questions I can't answer.
I'm getting near the edge of the abyss.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Murph351 said:
Make it quick, please.
It's not just may name she is calling now.
She is starting to ask me questions I can't answer.
I'm getting near the edge of the abyss.

Whose name is she calling?
What type of questions? :rolleyes:

Don't peek in the abyss...the mystery lady is waaaattttcccchhhiiiinggggg youuuuuu.........

TessTrueheart

Vintage Betty said:
Yes I am! Thanks for clearing that up. :D

What's it worth to you to get some info? :p

Vintage Betty

I am but a poor student :eusa_booh But it's easter and I have chocolate. What do I get for a Snickers bar? lol

Vintage Betty

Murph351 said:
Mainly Algebra questions. I was never good with algebra.
How do you think she knows that!!!!

It's because she can look into your soul and torment you with her steely eyes.

That, or if you are as bad as algebra as I am, it still gives you nightmares.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

TessTrueheart said:
I am but a poor student :eusa_booh But it's easter and I have chocolate. What do I get for a Snickers bar? lol

lol When it's in my greedy little chocolate lovin hands (note: see the Lounge chocolate thread) I will than impart some of my research on you....waaah hahahahahaha.

Vintage Betty

drjones

A-List Customer
mystery women and chocolate

Vintage Betty said:
lol When it's in my greedy little chocolate lovin hands (note: see the Lounge chocolate thread) I will than impart some of my research on you....waaah hahahahahaha.

Vintage Betty

Did someone say...CHOCOLATE? mmm :)

I think this woman is probably a woman of status as has been noted before, possibly in the arts. (artists have unreadable signatures in my experience LOL!) Turn of the century to about 1930s Id say partially based on the hairstyle and clothing?

DRJONES

Josephine

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Ah...I stand corrected.

Vintage Betty

I looked it up on an art site, and the way they had the description made me think it was the dentist's sister (He [Grant] asked his dentist and his sister Nan to pose...). But then another site said it was Grant's sister. And thinking about it, why would the first site list the supposed dentist's sister's name but not the dentist's name? :)

ANYWAY, you are ebil for holding out on us. Ebil, I say!! It will be very interesting to find out who the woman in the photo is. I wonder if we'll all go "Of course! I should have known" when we do find out. Maybe you could make a game out of it, drop hints and whoever get it first wins. lol

Vintage Betty

Josephine said:
I looked it up on an art site, and the way they had the description made me think it was the dentist's sister (He [Grant] asked his dentist and his sister Nan to pose...). But then another site said it was Grant's sister. And thinking about it, why would the first site list the supposed dentist's sister's name but not the dentist's name? :)

Source: NPR, for the full article.

Bits of interest:
The artist avoided revealing any explicit meaning behind his work. His younger sister Nan served as a model for the woman, and Andringa believes Wood may have tried to maintain ambiguity for his sister's sake. Wood elongated Nan's face and neck to extend the visual metaphor -- and he had Dr. B.H. McKeeby, a local dentist, prop up the famous pitchfork. The real-life pair was separated by a significant age gap, something that's not so obvious in the painting. Are they husband and wife? Father and daughter? Something even more... complicated?

Andringa believes in a simpler explanation -- "He didn't want her to think she looked as old as his dentist!" -- but concedes "it gives a twist to the picture if you think of those jokes about the father's daughter, protecting her virginity with a pitchfork... and that gives another twist on 'gothic' as well."

nandoclg.jpg

Josephine said:
ANYWAY, you are ebil for holding out on us. Ebil, I say!! It will be very interesting to find out who the woman in the photo is. I wonder if we'll all go "Of course! I should have known" when we do find out. Maybe you could make a game out of it, drop hints and whoever get it first wins. lol

Hmmm...what's ebil? :rolleyes:

I think I will pass on the game idea, as I have enough games going on right now at the Lounge: Ladies Globe Trotting Hat, Men's Aviation Contest, Women's Triple the Fun Contest. Yup, enough contests in my life, but thanks for the suggestion!

Vintage Betty

Josephine

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Hmmm...what's ebil? :rolleyes:

I think I will pass on the game idea...

lolcatspeak for evil. :) And not a real contest, you are spread very thin, I was thinking here in this thread. Or you could have a big reveal... :D

Warbaby

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
I think I will pass on the game idea, as I have enough games going on right now at the Lounge: Ladies Globe Trotting Hat, Men's Aviation Contest, Women's Triple the Fun Contest. Yup, enough contests in my life, but thanks for the suggestion!

Vintage Betty

Several posts ago I offered a prize for whoever identifies the mystery lady. That offer still stands and the prize will be something very nice, the exact nature of which will depend on the gender and interests of the winner. It will definitely not be ebil.

She may be driving you all crazy, but she's been haunting me for more than 10 years and I think I still retain a few shreds of sanity, so take comfort in the fact that there may be hope for you as well. While she hasn't called my name, she does say "neener, neener" now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou