Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caps and gowns and flip flops

Geesie

Practically Family
DerMann said:
I don't think I saw anyone wearing flip flops at my HS graduation. In fact, most of my classmates were very well turned out (even with the extreme heat.

Personally, I wore a formal shirt with a high wing collar, black pants and shoes, and a blue tie (our school's colour).

My high school graduation could not have this issue, since prescribed attire was summer black tie as seen in this pic:
grad.jpg

And college... well, it was December so shorts and shower shoes were not present on anyone. I chose not to "walk", as I had been commissioned earlier in the day and that was quite enough ceremony for me for one day!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I was in spats when I graduated high school, formal Highland daywear when I graduated from college, and a three-piece suit when I got my MA. Not sure if I'll wear formal Scottish attire or a vintage suit for my PhD ceremony. In all three I've walked, I've noticed that the ladies dress nicely much more than the men.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not see the problem. People dressed like that when I graduated. It did not detract from my celebration. I dressed for the occasion because that is the way I am.

I think it is like most other things, it really does not matter. It is none of my business unless it effects me. For example: I made sure if I was taking a picture with them it was from the chest up. lol

Besides when I asked a few why they dressed with such disregard for the most part it was to upset their parents (who paid for their schooling). Now that was really none of my business. :rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Besides when I asked a few why they dressed with such disregard for the most part it was to upset their parents (who paid for their schooling). Now that was really none of my business. :rolleyes:

The problem of the Rotten Little Spoiled Brat Who Needs His Face Slapped is as old as civilization. Very sad.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Harp said:
...mine too, and no girls either. ;)
Actually my school was always co-ed but for a long time when it was first established it had a fence down the middle and the west side was for the girls and the east side was for the boys.

Foofoogal

Banned
The problem of the Rotten Little Spoiled Brat Who Needs His Face Slapped is as old as civilization. Very sad.

:eek:fftopic: to me it is a form of child abuse. to let a child think the world will cater to their whims and bow is not nice.
A few people were discussing this recently with me.
So many of the last generation expect it all. With the recent events it will be much harder for them to discover it was not their money all along. hello. I cannot imagine the panic in their little hearts years down the road. It will be interesting to see if they can find it within to pull themselves along.

texasgirl

One Too Many
At my nephew's graduation last year it was the opposite almost. The girls were very dressed up. Some of them had on really high heels. I was worried they were going to fall, but no one did. I don't know if they had a dress code, but I doubt it. This was a rural area in Texas.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Another problem I've seen is people playing the class clown at graduation. (This was at a graduation 20 years ago.) As FooFooGal pointed out, if I were an employer, it wouldn't make me want to rush out and hire them. At age 18, you should be able to sit down, be quiet and put away your toys for a few hours. You have the rest of your life to text, take pictures, play games, hoot and holler, and squirt canned string at people, if you wish. That's what the graduation party is for.

In fairness, the faculty could make graduations a lot easier to sit through. (Mine, in college, lasted at least four hours.) They should dispense with most of the speeches and all of faculty patting one another on the back.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
Educating people on -why- some changes could/should be made....might be a whole lot more productive then coming here and whining/preaching to the choir about this.

:eusa_clap Agreed! And that is precisely why the "Chevalier Helps Your Outfits" thread is elective: it critiques only the Loungers who come there asking for advice.

To be brutally frank, there are plenty more Loungers who never come asking for advice but IMO could really benefit from some. Nonetheless, I will never, ever critique those folks' outfits in public -- because they haven't given me the authority to do so.

Keep the faith, Denise!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Frankly, I'm a firm believer that ALL public schools should make their students wear uniforms, and that all public schools should have the SAME uniforms. (Only the schools' logos would differ.)

Most of the world ascribes to this system, and it works beautifully.

I saw it firsthand in Chile: neckties (real, not clip-on) for boys AND girls from 1st grade through 12th. White long-sleeve dress shirts, navy blue trousers and black shoes for boys; navy blue jumpers or skirts, white shirts, and black shoes for girls. Blue blazers for boys and girls, though not worn every day. Blue cardigan sweaters for boys and girls.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Frankly, I'm a firm believer that ALL public schools should make their students wear uniforms, and that all public schools should have the SAME uniforms. (Only the schools' logos would differ.)

Most of the world ascribes to this system, and it works beautifully.

I saw it firsthand in Chile: neckties (real, not clip-on) for boys AND girls from 1st grade through 12th. White long-sleeve dress shirts, navy blue trousers and black shoes for boys; navy blue jumpers or skirts, white shirts, and black shoes for girls. Blue blazers for boys and girls, though not worn every day. Blue cardigan sweaters for boys and girls.

I agree with you. I had to wear a uniform in grades kindergarten- 8th in public school and in highschool in a private Catholic school.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Foofoogal said:
I definitely will say it is so much easier as a mom for them to wear uniforms. So much easier.

It's easier for many reasons:

-- It's more economical.

-- It eliminates the "what to wear today" hassle.

-- It eliminates clothing competition in school. No more label snobbery.

-- It ensures that kids are dressed neatly. (I've noticed that Chilean adults tend to dress well. Coincidence?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW