Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans for casual gentlemen

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Sloggoth said:
An extract from Simon Templar's 'Escape Route' episode (#85). R. Moore is wearing a knitted cardigan with what I believe are suede front panels.

There is an episode of the Avengers (Emma Peel era) where Steed's at home attire is a similar cardigan with fur front panels! I think I like the suede better.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Shawl collars rule!

:eusa_clap
When I was in college ... more than a few years ago ... most of the guys had heavy shawl collar cardigans we would wear under an overcoat or p-coat in real cold and by themselves on cool days.

I don't even know if you can pick up a decent heavy cardigan today without going to a specialty store where you'll pay as much as a nice coat costs.

Sad how some things drift away.:(

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
gp684901-00p01v01.jpg

"Love this shawl neck cardigan from Gap, I'm a huge fan of a "Raglan" sleeve"

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5180&vid=1&pid=684901

filfoster

One Too Many
Do not go gently into that good night...

How I envy all of you! I love cardigans and have thought often this season of finally buying one but can't pull the trigger on it. Somehow, Ozzy Nelson haunts me, and the Uncle Joe Carson (Edgar Buchanan) character from Pettycoat Junction. Both my grandfathers often wore them, year round. Perhaps it's the haunting thought of seeing them in my mirror reflection, finally, beneath the worn, gray or marled brown cardigan, the plaid shirt buttoned at the collar, and looking down to see slippers on my feet as well.
I began the decline last month with the purchase of slippers. That's enough for now.

cptjeff

Practically Family
So I found my cardigan. On ebay, there is a seller offering $25 alpaca cardigans. I figured I would give one a shot, and they're actually quite nice. I got mine yesterday, and have worn it twice- that afternoon and all of today. The weight is similar to a knit merino LL bean sweater I have, which is a midweight sweater, but the material is somewhat warmer. Nice classic style, nothing too strange.

The retailers seem to be importers of garments made in peru, which would make sense given the fiber and also explain the price. My package came from west palm beach.

Okay, enough talk, more links.
The one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170215722804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
It's more green and less brown then in the picture. Very nice shade.

And their store:
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Little-Alpaca-s-House

Oh, and I'm sold on alpaca as a fiber. Wonderful feeling stuff.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I have several cardigans, all bought from the Blarney Woollen Mills. It may be a typical Dublin tourist trap store selling all sort of Irish knick-knacks, but their knitwear is actually pretty decent.

I've got a dark green, a mid blue one and a brown one with argyle patterning on the front. All are made from lambswool and feature big chunky brown wooden buttons.

I typically wear a cardigan instead of a waistcoat under a tweed jacket, or on its own for lounging around at home. Despite my particularly old fashioned style of dress, the only time my wife teases me for dressing up like an old man is when I wear a cardigan.

D-503

Familiar Face
I have only one cardigan, but I am inordinately fond of it :).

It's forest green with light green cuffs. Shetland wool, I believe... won it on the Bay for .99 cents (plus shipping). Best purchase I ever made! The label says Towne and King. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

Feraud

Bartender
Another fan here of the shawl collar cardigan. I have a brown wool version from RL Rugby purchased a year or so back.
I notice this season more than a few retailers are presenting the shawl collar as an option. Some are better made than others.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up one of those alpaca cardigans on Ebay, also. I highly recommend it. Very soft and warm and comfy. I also got an all black one with a zip front. When it's zipped it forms a turtle neck. I got it for my neice's hubby for Christmas. I'm sure he'll love it, since they live up near Lake Cayuga, in the New York Snow Belt.
Here's my new sweater:
cardigan.jpg

My favorite Cardigan, belonged to my Grandpa in the 50's and it was Ma's when I was a kid, and as it became clear that vintage was my thing, it became mine.

GEDC06692.jpg

jaymag_87

New in Town
How I envy all of you! I love cardigans and have thought often this season of finally buying one but can't pull the trigger on it. Somehow, Ozzy Nelson haunts me, and the Uncle Joe Carson (Edgar Buchanan) character from Pettycoat Junction. Both my grandfathers often wore them, year round. Perhaps it's the haunting thought of seeing them in my mirror reflection, finally, beneath the worn, gray or marled brown cardigan, the plaid shirt buttoned at the collar, and looking down to see slippers on my feet as well.
I began the decline last month with the purchase of slippers. That's enough for now.

I tend to feel the same way. Unfortunately, I'm haunted by images of Mister Rogers. Won't you be my neighbor?

It's a little weird. If I see a gentleman wearing a cardigan, I don't see Mister Rogers. When I wear one, I do. Odd.

mattfink

Practically Family
I have a couple shawl collar cardigan's (it's colder than...in Detroit). Got this one for my birthday from the wife:

erez

And also picked this one up from Archival Clothing last week (in Navy):

redshawl_large.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy