Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chores That You Really Hate(d)

Edward

Bartender
The industry term for it is "behavioural advertising" - essentially, you get profiled and they show you the ads in which they think you will be interested, based on keyword searches, pages looked at, and so on. It's all done by cookies that at some point you'll have clicked 'agree' on. TBH, it doesn't bother me - I don't much pay attention to ads, but if I do I'd rather see ones for things that appeal.... I've also had some good deals from them in the past as well (like offering 10% off stuff I looked at then navigated away from).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I like that my behavior is such that the AI has no idea what kind of ads to offer me. Sometimes I'll go to random sites and click on random things just to mess with it.

It's also a good general practice to throw away your cookies once in a while. I purge mine at least once a week.

Removing poison oak and poison ivy from my Dads pecious English Ivy row that separated our 1/8 mile driveway from the natural area and grass. You cant get me near that stuff these days.

Cleaning tile grout - I've moved into way too many apartments that need a toothbrush and elbow grease to get it clean. We are aggressive in keeping ours clean regularly so that it never gets to that point.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I’ve been painting and repairing our front deck, off and on, beteeen rain showers. We live on a river, so our house is elevated...and so is the deck. I was standing on a ladder, balanced about seven feet in the air, when I noticed one of the neighborhood kids had dropped by to watch me paint. I was well within fang range before I saw him, and I had nowhere to go but straight down, so my heart did flip-flops until I realized he was harmless. Just a rat snake...but looking uncomfortably like a copperhead.

Yes. Did I mention that I really don’t like to paint?

D2EA27CB-0A8D-4E32-AB8B-E5091655CCBC.jpeg

AF

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Four years ago I bought a gallon of good paint at Sherwin-Williams to paint my bedroom.

That can of paint is still sitting on the floor, in the corner, covered with a thick layer of dust. It'll probably still be there four years from now.

I'm sure I'll get a great deal of satisfaction out of painting that kitchen, cabinets and all. As I surely will. Someday. You bet I will.

Last edited:
Worse than painting: scraping paint. On a ladder. In the sun.
In addition to his daily job at a local steel mill in Chicago, my father-in-law painted houses for extra money that helped to house, clothe, and feed his wife and their four children. Even after he was forced into an early retirement from the steel mill because of congestive heart failure he still painted houses because he enjoyed it so much, and continued doing so until he was nearly 80. Unfortunately, in his day the biggest concern about sun exposure was trying to not get sunburned, so throughout the last 10-15 years of his life he underwent a number of MOHS surgeries to remove skin cancer from his face, neck, shoulders, arms, and eventually had to have his left ear removed because the cancer had gone so deep before it was detected.

^^^^^
One thing to be said for my "proper" hat-wearing habit dating back to early adulthood is that it probably leaves me less likely to develop skin cancer.

Right off the top of my head (har-har) I can think of two contemporaries of mine, more or less, who have had skin cancers on their heads. Both of these friends were successfully treated (so far, anyway; knock on wood), but none of us would be surprised if it were to recur.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana