Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas scenes in movies

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was just looking at the interesting little video in the Christmas Decoration thread in the Display Case. It shows how to make simple little paper ornaments like they made in Britain during the War. This reminded me of the charming Christmas scene in one of my favorite WW II flicks, In Which We Serve. Which made me think of the subject (I'm finally getting to the point), favorite Christmas scenes in movies, OTHER THAN Christmas movies.
So Wonderful Life, or Miracle on 34th St, or Scrooge wouldn't be included. But there are lots of other films that just have individual scenes of Christmas. As I said, I think my favorite is from In Which We Serve.
Any others?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! That's a tough one. I love White Christmas, and there are scenes in it that I dig on as well. I think that my favorite one in that film is towards the end when they have the big bash for General Waverly to help him out & singing "We'll follow the old man". That and then when Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen did their dance scene on the boat docks.
I also enjoy the 'flipping of the flapjacks scene' in 'Christmas in Connecticut'. Always makes me laugh.

Cheers!

Dan

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Would The Homecoming (the original movie that spawned The Waltons) count? even though it was set at Christmas time, and included many scenes, it was not primarily about Christmas.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It's not a contest. It's not "can you name a Christmas scene". So anything qualifies. I just wondered if there were any particular Christmas scenes that people liked. A couple of interesting suggestions so far.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont know that it has an actual Christmas scene, but Rent begins and ends at two successive Christmases, and it is talked (sung) about a lot to make a certain point during the film.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Another one that comes to mind is the Scene in Holiday Affair where the kid takes the toy train back to the department store to get the money back that his friend had used to buy it for him even though he was jobless with very little money. That was one thoughtful child to think of doing that on his own and then actually following through and not afraid to tell the story of why he was doing it.

Cheers!

Dan

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
Forest Gump - Forest and Lt. Dan in NYC.
Larceny Incorporated - Edward G Robinson's character closes the luggage shop despite it being during the Christmas rush. (EGR is dressed like Santa and smoking a cigar at one point IIRC)

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Die Hard (1988)
The whole movie takes place on Christmas eve, but decidedly NOT a Christmas movie.

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
Actually takes place on New Years Eve, but they climb up the Christmas Tree to escape the ball room.

Lethal Weapon (1987)
Takes place at Christmas time and Christmas shows up repeatedly. (Many films produced by Joel Silver seem to take place at Christmas. See Die Hard above.)

The FBI Story (1959)
One of the scenes is at Christmas, I believe 1928.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

Doug

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just watched IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, which included some Christmas scenes. It's kind of a charming bit of fluff.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Christmas morning scene in (if I recall correctly) the first Thin Man movie. Nick is playing with one of his gifts, a pop gun, and shoots out a window of their hotel suite.

Cheers,
Tom

MB5

One of the Regulars
Most of Trapped in Paradise takes place during the town's Winterfest and includes events during Christmas.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
After watching Miracle on 34th Street last night I was wondering if the "wish house" at the end was still around. I don't have a movie screen capture of the "wish house", but the house still exists. Here is a shot of it.
2009103163822.jpg

The house is located at 24 Derby Road in Port Washington, New York. It looks practically the same as it did in 1947, except that the roof line has been altered by the addition of a window. Looks like it needs a little TLC in the landscaping department too, but that could be that it is very late winter or early spring as the trees haven't popped their leaves.
If anyone has a comparison picture please post it.

Cheers!

Dan

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
After watching Miracle on 34th Street last night I was wondering if the "wish house" at the end was still around. I don't have a movie screen capture of the "wish house", but the house still exists. Here is a shot of it.
2009103163822.jpg

The house is located at 24 Derby Road in Port Washington, New York. It looks practically the same as it did in 1947, except that the roof line has been altered by the addition of a window. Looks like it needs a little TLC in the landscaping department too, but that could be that it is very late winter or early spring as the trees haven't popped their leaves.
If anyone has a comparison picture please post it.

Cheers!

Dan

OMG! how ever did you capture a picture of it?
I ask because your profile says you are on the central coast (in CA i assume ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo