Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Olive Green Bomber jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
With orange inside. What are the good options? Thanks

I think you're referring to an MA 1 jacket - a standard issue US military garment from the mid 20th Centruy. Also standard issue skinhead wear... They come in sage green, navy blue and black too if you get the repos. Today the most common repos are the ones by Alpha Industries which are pretty poor, but it's hard to get good vintage examples. Also, they don't suit everyone. They can look puffy and short and if you are tall, it can be hard to get one that fits well. You can get a nice Buzz Rickson repo from Japan for about the price of a good leather jacket - hundreds of bucks. Gibson and Barnes also have their own versions (without the orange inside) and they are pretty well made and come in long sizes. Getting good 6-6 Dupont nylon isn't easy these days.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
To be fair, the MA1 jacket was always more of a bonehead look although it's true skins did wear them, especially in the 80's and 90's. The classic skinhead jacket would be a Harrington or a Crombie.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMG_0186.jpg

Classic Green Flighty

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Well, you see many variations on the skinhead look for sure. In North Brooklyn you'll see guys who basically dress like gangster rappers, in the midwest they'll look more like hardcore punks. In Hamburg you'll see the flight jackets but they'll be brown cos they are St Pauli fans. In the UK though, the flight jacket thing was always a bonehead look, stay away from those guys. These days those same guys are sporting Burberry and Stone Island but the traditional 'Spirit of 69' skins never abandoned Baracuta in the first place and they are the originals with the lineage behind them so who cares.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here in the UK the green bomber jacket is standard uniform for many scooter riders. :cool:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like the MA1 but regardless of its cultural versatility it remains strongly associated with skinheads. As it happens, if you search google images for skinhead the MA1 is on show in many of the photos. But that's an aside. Most people will look no more threatening in one than the average mall security guard. I think the jacket was a key aspect to Kevin Costner's character in Bull Durham. You don't usually see MA 1's over here, what is worn instead are cheap and thin nylon reproductions that cost around $40. It'd be great if someone made a quality one that didn't cost hundreds of bucks like the Buzz version.

Italian Dave

New in Town
Ok I must say I have a blue (orange inside) MA-1, and a black CW-3 or something like that (black with black inside) they both are by Schott (ok I'm a big Schott fan and collector) but I'm after a super classic light olive (orange) MA-1 so was curious about the nicest options.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo