Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

3fingers

One Too Many
1981 or 82. -34 temperature, -80 wind chill. I'd heard of spitting and watching it freeze in the air but had never seen it. When it hit the ground, it spun like a top. Once was enough.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think much of the US is encased in an ice box, including N Texas where it has been waaay colder than normal for the past several days, even for this time of year. At least no snow or freezing rain to speak of here. Glad I don't live in Chicago.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an interesting chart spotted on the interweb: how much snow is needed for schools to close. I have no idea if it's accurate.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
What are some good brands of Parkas in step with vintage style?

I just don't think there is anything out there made from leather that is warm or practical enough for -20c weather, wind and snow.

I'm outside for around 2 hours a day walking to bus stops and train stations so this isn't just a walk to and from the car.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Here's an interesting chart spotted on the interweb: how much snow is needed for schools to close. I have no idea if it's accurate.

As a Chicagoan, I'd imagine the simple act of reaching bellow 32°F wouk d be enough to shut down the islands.

Last edited:

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Been working in the northwest territories for the last 7 years, 120miles from the circle. A few years back it hit -59c (-74f), we lost almost 20 windshields to the temp diff between the warm inside (you don't turn things off up here in winter) and the outside cold! Sucks to breathe at that temp

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
This afternoon the media in the Maritimes was freaking out, which they never do. Looks like a ton of snow on the way for them.

Here in SoOnt it was cold, about 15F, but warm enough that I was okay in a nomex CWU jacket and some old pyjamas under my chinos. However, the wind chill was unlike anything I've felt in a few years: any exposed skin started to hurt really really quickly. It was a great example of one of those days when the wind chill made it dangerous; out of the wind it was just normal winter day.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

I just don't think there is anything out there made from leather that is warm or practical enough for -20c weather, wind and snow.

I'm outside for around 2 hours a day walking to bus stops and train stations so this isn't just a walk to and from the car.

Barnstormer with fleece linings will do the trick. S.B. makes a sheepskin fleece Parka. Aero used to but I don't know if they do any more. As for Jackets my Aero Thunderbay is doing just fine now as is my Aero Irvin knock-off.

Worf

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For heavy winds leather is hard to beat. I have an Alpha N3-B parka and it doesn't feel nearly as warm as some of my leathers when I'm riding at 60 mph. For when it's really cold and windy a leather jacket with good coverage and lots of layers underneath can work very well. Your freedom of movement won't be great but you will stay relatively warm.

If you're going to spend a lot of time out in extreme cold I'd personally look into heated gear. A pair of battery heated gloves and boots liners will change the way you deal with cold weather completely.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think much of the US is encased in an ice box, including N Texas where it has been waaay colder than normal for the past several days, even for this time of year. At least no snow or freezing rain to speak of here. Glad I don't live in Chicago.
In the forties here last night. People here have no idea how to dress for the cold, so lots of colds and flu. Everyone's complaining, but at least it's not "minus WTF!", as Worf described it.

thor

One Too Many
13EDDEB2-B4A1-4D03-A8C9-00F8288979FF.jpeg 68E304C3-8416-4A1B-AF38-D545CDBA6965.jpeg
If you can find one of these puppies, I think they are a “vintage-style parka” that will keep you warm and look very classic. Willis and Geiger are sadly no longer around but some of their stuff was fantastic. This particular coat just sold on eBay in unworn like-new condition for $265 (unfortunately not to me :()

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ That old Willis & Geiger coat looks great, thanks for posting.

For people who live in warm areas who are buying their first parka, I recommend hunting around for one which is long and comes close to your knees and fully covers your thighs. It won't look very hip or fashionable, and it won't show off your shapely legs in your tight jeans, but you'll be warm. Or if you must have a short jacket/coat/parka, then wear insulated pants or something. The key is to be warm, not hip, and to be honest, even the most lame, shapeless, weird looking winter gear looks hip when it's way below zero (even Hudson's Bay coats, which in warmer weather look like something only a crazy person would wear, suddenly look awesome when the snow is blowing hard). The USAF N3B parkas are often cited as a good choice but those were designed to be worn over overalls and are too short for serious weather when worn with normal pants, etc.

Last edited:
I think, I will never ever buy a usual (black) down-jacket in my life, like I had twice in my teenager- and young adult-time.

The winters in Germany get warmer and warmer and even, when the temperature would punctual fall to old-fashioned -10°Celsius, my compact winterjackets with simple padding always did the job and I can't complain. I wear the classic undershirt, the thinner Jersey cotton-"undershirt-turtleneck pullover" and the jacket and all is fine. If temperature will even fall under -10°Celsius, you got the classic (and padded) winter-woolcoat or peacoat and things will get cozy. :)

I don't see the need for down filled-quilted jackets, here. Cocooning was probably invented by fashion-industry. But down-jackets doesn't get my again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points