Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
This morning dawned with nearly the coldest weather I’ve seen in my sixty-two years of living in Eastern North Carolina. It was 2 F, when I arose. The absolute coldest I ever experienced...here...was in 1989, when the Air Station at Camp Lejeune recorded a temperature of zero. It was probably tad colder in New Bern.

I’ve seen much colder weather in Wisconsin...and in the mountains of North Carolina...but this is very unusual for coastal N.C.

AF

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's just insanely cold here - it was subzero overnight, and is supposed to go lower tonight. It's only up to 8 degrees now at midday. I've been wearing an MA-1 over a fleece anorak, with a hat and gloves... but only to run from the car to the store and such. It's just too cold to stay outside for any length of time.

This deadly weather is finally supposed to break in a couple of days, getting back to more usual winter conditions (20s-40s).

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
It's just insanely cold here - it was subzero overnight, and is supposed to go lower tonight. It's only up to 8 degrees now at midday. I've been wearing an MA-1 over a fleece anorak, with a hat and gloves... but only to run from the car to the store and such. It's just too cold to stay outside for any length of time.

This deadly weather is finally supposed to break in a couple of days, getting back to more usual winter conditions (20s-40s).

I had to do a couple of errands today, which entailed walking several blocks. It was kinda brutal, but we survived. Really put the Buzz Transport Coat to the test...it stood up.

- Ian

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
-8 (w/o the windchill) when I woke up this morning although it is supposed to break tonight and get back to normal winter temps by tomorrow.

Unusal weather in the middle of Germany. Very wet, okay, but windy at the same time! Feeling unusal coastal, here.

Good for turtelneck-sales. :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
2AF80CCD-2556-47C1-8F73-7E9BB1731D16.jpeg

I took this photo at 04:00 today. Not terribly remarkable if I was living in Copenhagen, Saint Paul, Munich or even Ashville. But this is very unusual for coastal North Carolina.

AF

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I read and sympathize freezing americans.
Weather that you have now for us usual winter weather.
Exactly one year ago in Moscow this day was -29.6 C (-21.28 F). If the wind and humidity add to this ...Cold for us too...
But this year is very warm, there is no snow and only +3 C (37,4 F) Apparently all the cold you have this time)

Both pics are made exactly one year ago on this day.

PS
As for my personal experience, I will never forget our winter flights to Yakutsk ... There are especial people live there. It was -48 C (-54.4 F) one day)))
Operational limitation for our aircraft for start engines was -50 C (-58 F), and we almost reached it.

Attachments

• 20170107_103545-1_807x967.jpg
    20170107_103545-1_807x967.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170107_122122_807x605.jpg
    20170107_122122_807x605.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Of course, this is terrible when the weather is not typical for the regions and where the usual warm becomes unusually cold. People are not ready for such surprises ... climate changing?

thor

One Too Many
Thor, so strange to see ice on the Hudson!
@Flightengineer you are right; usually the Hudson and East rivers are ice-free. However sometimes during a prolonged cold snap there’s heavy ice way up north on the Hudson (in the @Worf part of the world), up around Troy or Albany. The Coast Guard sends an ice-breaking ship up there to smash it up and then in a day or so of ebb tides it works it’s way down to NY Harbor.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Temps are hovering around freezing today and predicted to go up to 50F in a couple days. I guess the cold snap is over for a week or so. I ain't complaining !

willyto

One Too Many
Here in Barcelona this morning it was something like 8ºC I'm still wearing just a dress shirt and my Aero 50s midweight horween horsehide. Not really cold and no need to layer. I'm one of those who runs warm.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here in Barcelona this morning it was something like 8ºC I'm still wearing just a dress shirt and my Aero 50s midweight horween horsehide. Not really cold and no need to layer. I'm one of those who runs warm.
You must run warm! At 5C I'm in a shirt, sweater/sweatshirt, and a winter coat and still a bit uncomfortable!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ