Coldest Weather I've been in

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dmdmorris, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Foot Guards in Londinium.

[​IMG]

Sloan1874, bn1966, thor and 1 other person like this.
  2. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Damn.......Bath & Moi last night

Resized_20180301_175700 (1).jpeg

3. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

9 to 12 inches here of wet snow. Goodness I'm sore from shoveling and snowblowing.

Worf

triple-d likes this.
  4. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Can't remember this amount of snow in at least eight years - it's also blowing a gale, causing all sorts of drifting around the place. I dragged my Alpha N-3 out of the wardrobe for the occasion, as it fits like a sleeping bag and keeps the wind out. It's the sort of weather that requires twice the effort to get anything done and leaves you feeling slightly ill if you overdo it.

bn1966 and Worf like this.
  5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

When you tell kids here in the UK that we are on the same line of latitude as Canada, you get that confused look that says: "And your point is what?"
    Explain that if you follow the line of latitude you will enter polar bear country. It still doesn't register, anymore than trying to explain The North Atlantic Drift that laps our shores and gives us much milder winters than Canada.

Worf and Hal like this.
  6. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Cold front's moving in. Supposed to go down to the 70's tomorrow.

7. Hal

Hal Practically Family

And on this side of the Atlantic we tend to forget that Washington DC is south of Lisbon! I understand that the North Atlantic Drift gives the north-eastern USA their humid summers. I'm glad I don't have to face the heat of North American summers!
    As several on this thread have written, it's MUCH easier to adjust one's thermal comfort by sartorial means in low temperatures rather than high - and also many of us find winter clothes more interesting.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    bn1966 and Michael A like this.
  8. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Very funny! Har diddly har har!

Pbbsst!:rolleyes:

Worf

bn1966 and tropicalbob like this.
  9. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

The 'Beast' has set me on a B3 collision course :)

10. SPAMGHOD

SPAMGHOD New in Town

I was stationed in Alaska in the late 1970's and arly 80's, our mission was inside the Arctic Circle in the winter, we saw -70 and below with the wind chill factor. It was not fun, but I was only 19.

11. Doctor Damage

When I was 19 super-cold weather was fun, but now, in middle-age, I fear it, ha ha

12. Doctor Damage

Finally had a few cool days here in SoOnt but nothing compared to the just-above-freezing temps that Calgary had in August thanks to the smoke and dust from wildfires in western Canada and the US. I can't say I'm looking forward to winter at all this year, even though it will mean jacket/coat weather. I'm well past the point in life when I find "put on a sweater if you're too cold" to be amusing!

13. Doctor Damage

The temperature this morning:

HPIM4462x.JPG

14. thor

thor One Too Many

9AD486B0-249D-477D-B4AF-E54CF4869710.jpeg AE8508A4-2028-4FA3-8D05-61C7F4DF79E6.jpeg C5524972-A3C7-4770-A454-A393D608A12B.jpeg
    I was going to revisit this thread but @Doctor Damage beat me to it!
    Out in the harbor the wind chills were -15 to -20 below zero; everything was shrouded in ice. Mighty COLD!
    I was able to fit 3 cashmere wool sweaters under my leather jacket so I survived the deep freeze (and there’s at least a little heat up in the wheel house where I pilot the boat).

15. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

I feel like putting on a sweater at home here just looking at that ice! It's one thing to walk around in NYC (like I was doing yesterday) but to be standing pretty much still - wow! Hope you were wearing some heavy pants with layers.

thor likes this.
  16. oneterrifichog

oneterrifichog Practically Family

Guard Duty walking around an Ammo Dump near Darmstadt, Germany in 1969....In the middle of the night around 2:00 am BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Shot from the next morning:
    IMG_0466 (Edited).JPG

17. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

71186F4C-4248-45AF-85CF-AE9AD100BCB8.png
    I was going to proclaim you all time winner until i realized it was in Celcius.
    Those are F

18. Temps are ranging from 2 below zero to 14 above here in HoosierLand...but the cold Arctic wind blowing all day at 40-50 MPH is the freezer.

Bfd70 likes this.
  19. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Peak of winter in middle of old Germany. Couldn't imagine, that such classic winter weather would ever happen again.

-12°C/10,4°F

Flightengineer likes this.
  20. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

It's hitting the high 70's F here in socal this week... and I'm sure some of you are jealous, but don't be. I'd take -20 over this... and I've been in -20F before twice.