Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 153204
I was going to proclaim you all time winner until i realized it was in Celcius.
Those are F
Yeah it was only -15C but the wind chilll doubled that (downwards). I saw roughly -35 a couple times in the early 1990s but never since and I don't think we will again. Useless Trivia Time: As I like to remind everyone, -40 is where the C and F scales match!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Going down to -39 C with the wind chill tonight, although it is only -4 C right now.
Here in SoOnt we've had that wind chill too, for three weeks or so. Even when it's just barely below freezing it makes it feel a helluva lot colder. Today though, it's +6C here and it just stopped raining, which made the snow a huge sloppy mess. It's like living in a Slushy!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I was going to revisit this thread but @Doctor Damage beat me to it!
Out in the harbor the wind chills were -15 to -20 below zero; everything was shrouded in ice. Mighty COLD!
I was able to fit 3 cashmere wool sweaters under my leather jacket so I survived the deep freeze (and there’s at least a little heat up in the wheel house where I pilot the boat).
There's something about being on or near water that makes the cold feel worse, to me at least. It must be the damp. I'll take dry cold anyday!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I get a big chuckle when people think 20 F is cold. That is denim jacket weather around here. Lol.

Going down to -39 C with the wind chill tonight, although it is only -4 C right now.
I was going to say, I never thought 20F was cold. I can still wear a leather jacket with a sweatshirt, gloves, and scarf and be fine. When you get near zero is when I need something like a peacoat and an actual winter hat.

Colin G

One Too Many
I was going to say, I never thought 20F was cold. I can still wear a leather jacket with a sweatshirt, gloves, and scarf and be fine. When you get near zero is when I need something like a peacoat and an actual winter hat.

After a light snowfall, I am outside sweeping it off my deck and sidewalks in a t-shirt and temps are around -15 C.

I run hot so doing that for 10 min is nothing and I find it refreshing, but the neighbors think I am odd.

It is damn cold here today. Coldest it has been all winter so far. If you toss a mug of hot water into the air right now. it just turns to vapour instantly. I'll have to go outside around coffee time and start my car up for a while to make sure it starts at lunch time.

Even though I have no problems handling the cold, I really hate winter.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah it was only -15C but the wind chilll doubled that (downwards). I saw roughly -35 a couple times in the early 1990s but never since and I don't think we will again. Useless Trivia Time: As I like to remind everyone, -40 is where the C and F scales match!!

I remember that cold winter of 1993/94. Pop machines outside were leaking pop from the expanded/exploding aluminum cans. Peel Region had a few weeks of minus 30-40 degrees.
And just like Colin- wearing a T-Shirt and wool hat is all you need in minus 10- minus 15 degrees. As long as there in no wind. If the sun is out it feels toasty to a Canadian born citizen. Immigrants from hot climates meanwhile are wearing parkas when it is plus 10 celsius.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
From the wikipedia page on Project Excelsior:

The small stabilizer parachute deployed successfully and Kittinger fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds, setting a long-standing world record for the longest free-fall. During the descent, Kittinger experienced temperatures as low as −94 °F (−70 °C). In the free-fall stage, he reached a top speed of 614 miles per hour (988 km/h). At an altitude of 17,500 feet (5,334 m), Kittinger opened his main parachute and landed safely in the New Mexico desert.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
After a light snowfall, I am outside sweeping it off my deck and sidewalks in a t-shirt and temps are around -15 C.

I run hot so doing that for 10 min is nothing and I find it refreshing, but the neighbors think I am odd.

It is damn cold here today. Coldest it has been all winter so far. If you toss a mug of hot water into the air right now. it just turns to vapour instantly. I'll have to go outside around coffee time and start my car up for a while to make sure it starts at lunch time.

Even though I have no problems handling the cold, I really hate winter.
I will admit that I am sure there are many issues with winter that I would not like. The cold itself would be great, but salted roads alone would be a pain.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I will admit that I am sure there are many issues with winter that I would not like. The cold itself would be great, but salted roads alone would be a pain.
Oh yeah, you have no idea how awful snowy roads get when they lay on the sand and salt. They turn brown. Then your car turns brown, and your shoes. And the roads are partially clear in some spots, still snowy in others, and you have to continually adjust to the road conditions, which often change in a few hundred feet. But mostly it just creates a slushy, slimy, ooze that makes a mess and in my opinion seems to last longer on the roads than untouched snow would (which would burn off quickly on busy roads, leaving them mostly dry).

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, you have no idea how awful snowy roads get when they lay on the sand and salt. They turn brown. Then your car turns brown, and your shoes. And the roads are partially clear in some spots, still snowy in others, and you have to continually adjust to the road conditions, which often change in a few hundred feet. But mostly it just creates a slushy, slimy, ooze that makes a mess and in my opinion seems to last longer on the roads than untouched snow would (which would burn off quickly on busy roads, leaving them mostly dry).

I have actually driven in those conditions before and I agree, it's not fun. I didn't hate it, but I assume that I would get sick of it quick if I lived in those conditions.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I am NOT ready. I am NOT okay with this.
H9Ajq7G.jpg

Colin G

One Too Many
I am NOT ready. I am NOT okay with this.
H9Ajq7G.jpg

Wow. That is frigid with the windchill. We get those arctic lows a lot where I am in Canada in Jan and Feb but that is really cold. Do you use block heaters in your cars down there where you are at?

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You beat me to it. That’s basically step outside and die weather.
There was an article in the Dallas Morning News about the 'Polar Vortex' with record wind chill temps. Chicago was mentioned. Today it is only getting up to a chilly 55F in Dallas but 61F tomorrow. The worst aspect of living here is August. September is a great time to visit Chicago but would not want to be there now! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points