Coldest Weather I've been in

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dmdmorris, Dec 14, 2013.

1. powersci

powersci Familiar Face

My students are already asking if we can have a cold day. Last time it happened was in 2014 when the wind chill hit -40s.

Bushman and ton312 like this.
  2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I'm thinking Thursday/Friday are the only days for school this week. Maybe different with CPS but Wednesday all but a done deal.

3. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

Ironic. Those are the days I actually have no classes and I work.

4. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Holy carp, that's just mean & nastly. I didn't realize Chi-Town got that cold, although why wouldn't it? I bet the lake makes it a damp cold which feels twice as cold as dry cold.

5. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

I don’t understand the close for cold thing. I did Chicago grade school the entire 80s . Not one close for cold. Unless all of these kids move to FL some day they’re gonna have to drive/bus/train to a job in this weather. Yesterday morning at 5:30 on the way to work I saw a guy on a bicycle and 4 people walking. Does the weather suck? Yep. To i fall asleep dreaming of grilling with a cold beer? Yep. In MY mind does living through this year after year make us tougher (and perhaps dumber) than everone else? Yep. #keepchicagohard

Carlos840, Colin G, jonesy86 and 3 others like this.
  6. Doctor Damage

Here's some random traffic camera photos from around the GTA during this afternoon's rush hour which is experiencing a big snowstorm. Highway 401 is 16 lanes across in places. This incidentally is why you keep your gas tank full in winter, kids. Good times!!

loc14--2.jpg loc17--2.jpg loc43--2.jpg loc75--2.jpg loc19--2.jpg loc11--2.jpg loc137--2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    ton312 likes this.
  7. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

In 2011 commuters abandoned their vehicles on lake shore drive. Literally hundreds of cars never reclaimed.
    9B1F09B8-18AE-4D3D-9EE5-98836058FE11.jpeg D8CEC0C3-CDAE-4A5E-ABE6-5A28F70E197C.jpeg

Bushman, Fanch and Bfd70 like this.
  8. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That looks apocalyptic and utterly terrifying to me. It's 94 f here today.

ton312 and Bfd70 like this.
  9. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Glad you posted. Not to be a one upper but 290 is never that empty.

ton312 likes this.
  10. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I watched it all unfold from the comfort of my couch, in one hand a slice of d’agostinos in the other a lagunitas. I felt safe and warm. The city warned people to stay off the drive. They failed to listen. The whole event was caused by a single stalled CTA bus.

11. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

It will be 149 degrees colder here than that by Wednesday.

12. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

And here I was thinking of booking a flight from DFW to ORD and take a stroll along the shores of Lake Michigan. Leave it up to @Seb Lucas to rub it in while he is in the midst of summer in his part of the planet. Those photos you posted are terrifying. If we get the least bit of dusting of snow where I live, the whole DFW metroplex just shuts down. Been reading the Dallas Morning News describing the Polar Vortex and how it is affecting Minneapolis and Chicago. Tony, it's gotta suck big time where you live right now. :eek:

ton312 likes this.
  13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Fanch my dear man, it's nothing French toast, sausage and an extra tall Bloody Mary can't fix;). I will not set foot outside until Friday after this afternoon. Schools are cancelled, time to bear down!

Carlos840 and Fanch like this.
  14. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

Yep, I remember. This was one of the defining images of that blizzard. To this day, it remains one of the most haunting weather images I've seen:
    [​IMG]

15. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

This is going to get updated a lot tomorrow, I bet.

ton312 and Cornelius like this.
  16. Doctor Damage

We're now getting the snow that Toronto got yesterday and it's slowly piling up. But, nobody needs to go anywhere, so that's fine. To riff on ton312's point, we had pancakes, sausages, and maple syrup for dinner tonight - perfect for a cold, snowy night!

ton312 likes this.
  17. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

If I don’t put on 15 pounds in the next three days I’m doing something wrong.

18. powersci

powersci Familiar Face

It's official: no physical school on Wednesday or Thursday. But, students will meet virtually to complete assignments to meet student yearly attendance requirements.

19. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Interesting take on preserving those precious summer days off err “educational requirements” I should say. LOL. Stay warm brother. You shoulda kept that Redskin;)

20. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

1664C861-A824-4E24-9847-1483F6F700A8.png How about this 73 degree swing in 5 days

Bushman likes this.