Coldest Weather I've been in

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dmdmorris, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Chicago made the news here again along with Buffalo and a few other places. Tomorrow morning in Chicago is supposed to hit an all time record low. Hope you are safely inside.:eek:

ton312 and dannyk like this.
  2. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

9212008-6651663-image-a-18_1548913956768.jpg

3. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Water pipes in my home froze this morning. And I had insulation added a couple months ago to solve that problem. I finally got it thawed but was really really worried about a pipe bursting.

ton312 likes this.
  4. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Yeah I’ve kept a slow drip on all the faucets. Probably will until tomorrow.

Colin G likes this.
  5. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

The slow drip doesn't work for my shower, since that's a single faucet (the hot pipe freezes). I'll probably set an alarm tonight every couple of hours to wake up and run the shower water to keep it from freezing.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  6. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

When the previous owners of our home did the basement, the water inlet was behind the insulation along the basement wall and not in front of the insulation.

I had to cut a hole in the drywall a few years back to heat up a frozen pipe with a hair dryer. Now in the fall I stack a few bags of leaves in that spot on the outside of the house and it solves the problem. Must be an air leak somewhere.

7. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Gamma68 likes this.
  8. Leither

Leither One of the Regulars

A mere -1°C here in Leith Edinburgh. Nothing compared to the US polar vortex. Stay safe all.

dannyk likes this.
  9. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

@Colin G the leaf bag is a great idea.. will be giving that a try

10. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

I do that across the whole front of my house. Mainly to keep snow from building up to keep moisture away in the spring ( I have poor grading) and it gives a bit of added insulation. Then just toss em out in the spring time.

Boyo and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  11. Doctor Damage

This was the thermometer this morning. One more day, then some warmer weather!

HPIM4478.JPG

12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

My thoughts are with all you guys in this cold weather.

13. Doctor Damage

This is probably the sort of challenges that Thor is dealing with right now...

9238138-6654963-Mike_Calen_left_and_Steve_Goyette_right_prepare.jpg

thor likes this.
  14. Doctor Damage

XYpzrku.jpg.png

Mich486, Boyo, Fanch and 2 others like this.
  15. dannyk

dannyk Practically Family

BE15B475-AAB8-44DF-A8D4-F2E63EB70D3D.jpeg Taken Tuesday in downtown Buffalo when the snow first started rollling in. It was taken from the highest floor of the Rath Building which would be the County Executives Office space. The building that is featured is my building; Old County Hall. Well kind of. I won’t bore you with my work history but I mainly work out of our DO or District Office; but retain an Office here for Legislative Session days. I just love old Buffalo Architecture and it sure does look pretty in the snow.

Boyo and bobm like this.
  16. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

Beautiful architecture and picture. Somehow snow seems prettier in pics than in life sometimes.

dannyk likes this.
  17. thor

thor One Too Many

B480D05F-0841-4973-9812-2D579CE7C2CD.jpeg 1BCFEC83-1399-4364-862C-4444058A60E8.jpeg 3696B47A-2A06-4F1E-B368-A2FFBADD5679.jpeg 89F48D61-F5A5-4CFF-937C-7BB93D11CD35.jpeg EC4EB089-45BD-4F41-8A72-D88EDB23A581.jpeg
    Thanks for thinking of me and my fellow mariners @Doctor Damage; it was -15 below zero this morning when I started work. Friggin’ COLD, and ice covered pretty much everything. Brrrrrrrr!:eek:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Trenchfriend, Leither and dannyk like this.
  18. Doctor Damage

Buffalo contains an extraordinary amount of amazing architecture, from civic stuff like you posted right down to individual homes. Plus they have one of America's best men's clothing stores, O'Connells. The city is worth a visit... just not in winter!

dannyk likes this.
  19. dannyk

Thank you for saying so! It came up in a different thread. @ton312 see I told you Buffalo was worth a visit. The food and drink scene is so good right now. But the architecture and city planning of the past is crazy. Several famous architects designed many buildings and parks in this area. Sometimes living here for 32 years I forget to really appreciate it all. Then I’ll take a picture like this one, or have someone remind me of it all and I love it all over again.

ton312 likes this.
  20. dannyk

B686820A-9A76-4ACB-8EDC-52A70A00827B.jpeg
    Also I go to O’Connells at least twice a year. Fall to check out the cold weather stock and then again in spring to check out the warm weather gear. And oddly enough the winter hat I’m wearing right now. Just so happens.....