Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Stanley Doble said:
This drives me crazy. You are in Glasgow which is the same latitude as Hudson's Bay, Labrador and Moscow. I am in southern Canada at the same latitude as Monaco. So how come you have green shoots and snow drops while we have -20C and hope the snow will be gone by the end of April?

Don't give me a lot of apcray about the Gulf Stream. It flows past the Maritime Provinces before it goes anywhere near Europe and a fat lot of good it does them. They are freezing worst than I am.
I just spoke to a friend of mine in Ottawa and she says it's -40C there today, although I think she meant with the wind chill. Nevertheless, that's why Ottawa is known as the world's coldest capital city (unless my memory is failing me).

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Ottawa is farther south than Milan, Venice, or Portland Oregon. Farther south than Munich, Vienna, Paris and much farther south than Plymouth or London.

As of 10 o'clock tonight the temp in Ottawa is -19C. Today's Hi/Lo -16 / -25.

Last edited:

KarlK

New in Town
Currently it is 0 F. The big goose egg, but tomorrow night they are calling for -17 w/o windchill, with a windchill of perhaps -40 F. Cold here on my part of lake Superior.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Northern California, wintertime :)
image.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We hit low 60F today, mid 60s tomorrow, snow Monday. This yo yo weather is murder on our rods. We are developing some real good size VW Beetle traps!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Temp all the way up to -5. That is because of the snow. The Weather Girl called for snow and last night we got 8 inches.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
California should be carpet bombed!!!!! 12 degrees here and snowing to beat the band. In the words of that great sage Yosemite Sam....

"Ah hates you...."

Worf

Hal

Practically Family
You are in Glasgow which is the same latitude as Hudson's Bay, Labrador and Moscow. I am in southern Canada at the same latitude as Monaco. So how come you have green shoots and snow drops while we have -20C and hope the snow will be gone by the end of April?
Don't give me a lot of apcray about the Gulf Stream. It flows past the Maritime Provinces before it goes anywhere near Europe and a fat lot of good it does them. They are freezing worst than I am.
The Gulf Stream seems to have its chief effect on your side of the Atlantic in summer, producing unpleasant humidity (at any rate south of the American border).

pauleway

Practically Family
I live in a suburb just south of Buffalo NY, and it's been snowing every day. I give up, the snow has won, my back is killing me from all the shoveling! I can handle the cold weather, but I just hate the snow!!!:eusa_doh::eeek:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
-20C this morning, wind chill around -33C or somesuch. I went for a short walk, about 1 km total, and it was okay if you're bundled up. But at the midway point I had to take my gloves off to re-tie my one boot and after no more than about 5 seconds exposure my fingers hurt!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
If it is any conciliation to those of you that have been snowed in, it was 48 Fahrenheit at 1:00 PM when I left the house, then white out conditions and very cold for the drive home at 2:30 PM. Like they say, "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes!"

Gromulus

Practically Family
While it may not be the coldest weather I have seen, these last few days have probably come close. -15 F (-26 C) this morning in NE Ohio as I leave for work. That is the air temperature, not counting wind shill. When I bought my ANJ-4 a few years back I though it would get only occasional use. It seems to have been my "go to" jacket these last two winters.

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Ottawa is farther south than Milan, Venice, or Portland Oregon. Farther south than Munich, Vienna, Paris and much farther south than Plymouth or London.

As of 10 o'clock tonight the temp in Ottawa is -19C. Today's Hi/Lo -16 / -25.

Say hello to continental climate plus unlimited arctic air-stream. ;)
We got in the +10°C-region and the first flowers of spring peek out. Lovely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic