Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crusher caps

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
No offense taken, NB-13...

Here's MY constructive criticism. There IS no perfect answer to which crusher to choose. In fact, it's a bit of a nonsensical question. WWII saw MILLIONS of men and women in uniform. Hundreds of choices/options for officers to choose from. Nobody was all matchy/matchy. Things were thrown together and people were worried about getting KILLED, not about how their crusher cap looked or whether it matched their tunic.

There is NO serious market for reproduction crushers. Diamond Dave is about it. The other stuff, Garcia, specifically, ain't worth the money. I bought one from them and a Landcaster and sent the Garcia back. It looked horrible. I sure as heck-fire don't have a photo of me in it. I continue to search eBay after 5+ years for an original. That's my advice; keep looking for an original. That's the consensus advice of this forum.

I have VERY little net investment in my WWII gear. Been buying and selling for a lot of years. Learned something with every purchase/sale. That's what getting to be an expert on this stuff takes. You have to be in the scrum. If you're not looking at and handling this stuff in person, you'll never get past square one. Asking a bunch of questions from a bunch of busy people won't get you there. Ya gotta get your hands dirty.

PS: BTW. I second EVERYTHING that Dixon just said.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Sorry for not replying sooner.

Guys-

I'm truly sorry for pestering you guys with so many questions. I would like to give all of you guys my sincerest apologies.

I have made my final decision. I'm going to go with the What Price Glory Cap. I know it's been said that it looks a little "high" but the description states that you can remove the stiffener. Anybody have this cap? Also, I would like to know how exactly you remove the stiffener on a crusher cap like this.

THANK YOU
USAAFAcePilot

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Sorry to ask another couple of questions.

Does anybody own the cap?

Also, how exactly do you remove the stiffener of a crusher cap such as this one?

THANKS GUYS.

Sorry for more questions.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Just stumbled across the thread. Earlier today I received my first crusher by What Price Glory. I'm no expert on these hats. I have a giant rubber band on it now, spent most of the afternoon with it under my 1920's converted headphones, and then even steamed it with my grandmother's steamer. Over the weekend I think I'll remove the stiffener which doesn't seem to be too difficult to achieve.

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
WW2 Crusher Cap

Hi all,
Today at an antique store I bought what I thought was a World War 2 era green army officer's crusher cap. It is made of a green wool/suede blend and has a black wool bill that is decorated with buillon oak leaves. It was made by "Luxenberg" and the address on the inside band of the hat is "84 fifth ave at 14th st. NYC" the inner headband is made of what appears to be cork and there is a gold eagle badge on the front of the cap. Also the chin strap is intact and gold showing normal patina. Can anyone help me as to a date? I bought the cap thinking it was WW2 but on further research I am thinking it might be a Korean or even Vietnam-era hat. Help please!

Stele

New in Town
I've had the USWings crusher cap for sometime now. I do think the height is a little too tall, but I've bent the stand to make it look a little more authentic. I'm happy with this solution and price.

ersatzS2

New in Town
Hi folks. The rawest of Newbies here; I just made my first post this AM to discover what the name is of the cap in this picture, learned it is a crusher, and searched for this thread. Thanks for all the information. The Diamond Cap Co stuff looks terrific, but I have a general question about the origins of the cap relative to my own quest:

This photo is from an etching done circa 1910-1915, and shows a rakish couple in an early Raceabout car. I'm looking for a period costume look which is required at vintage car shows. My question regarding the evolution if the crush style hat is this: All the discussion seems to focus on the design and history of this hat as dating from the WWII era. However my picture is much earlier, actually pre WWI. Can anyone give me guidance on how the earliest hats would've differed from the wWII vintage? For starters, this would've long pre-dated the issue with radio headsets that prompted fliers to remove the spring stiffing. Any other recommendations on finding a hat with these much earlier styling nuances? thanks much, great forum you've got here.

drivingcap.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
American Patrol Company's crusher looks good but why no website? Gotta have a website to order stuff not just an FB page.

American Patrol

New in Town
Tommy K, I agree. American Patrols Website is being built now, it should be up by Christmas. If you are interested in a cap sooner contact me on face book.

CigarConnoisseur

New in Town
I have found a Bancroft Flighter Post WWII as it has the Patent No. On the band and it's in my size and in mint condition. I'm Trying to get a feel for what the going rate on this hat would be? It looks like it's never been worn. TIA

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
Hi folks. The rawest of Newbies here; I just made my first post this AM to discover what the name is of the cap in this picture, learned it is a crusher, and searched for this thread. Thanks for all the information. The Diamond Cap Co stuff looks terrific, but I have a general question about the origins of the cap relative to my own quest:

This photo is from an etching done circa 1910-1915, and shows a rakish couple in an early Raceabout car. I'm looking for a period costume look which is required at vintage car shows. My question regarding the evolution if the crush style hat is this: All the discussion seems to focus on the design and history of this hat as dating from the WWII era. However my picture is much earlier, actually pre WWI. Can anyone give me guidance on how the earliest hats would've differed from the wWII vintage? For starters, this would've long pre-dated the issue with radio headsets that prompted fliers to remove the spring stiffing. Any other recommendations on finding a hat with these much earlier styling nuances? thanks much, great forum you've got here.

drivingcap.jpg
Folks here use the word "crusher" to mean a WWII military service cap, or a Bancroft brand "flighter" cap which was very similar to a service cap but was actually a yacht cap made in US Army fabrics and colors. The cap in this picture is almost certainly not one of these. The British call these (and service caps) "peeked caps", referring to the bill. I know these caps have been around at least since the American Civil War. They were worn by military personnel as well as civilians. The one in the picture is almost certainly a civilian version. The top (cover in military speak) would have been made of several wedge-shaped pieces of fabric which would end-up looking kind-of dome shaped--much like the old paper boy caps that snapped down onto the brim, with a large button on the top, or would be made the way a yacht cap is. (Sorry, I know this is an awful discrimination, but I'm doing my best.) It would be attacked to a head band (probably the same fabric) and a bill on the front, made of a single layer of leather or covered in the same fabric as the rest of the cap. It would have no stiffening in it but would be very soft and floppy. You can probably find a very similar cap in a used/retro clothing store, because this same cap was popular in the late '60s - early '70s, usually made of faded denim. A yacht cap is similar. You could use one of these as a pattern. Hope this helps.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
WW2 Crusher Cap

Hi all,
Today at an antique store I bought what I thought was a World War 2 era green army officer's crusher cap. It is made of a green wool/suede blend and has a black wool bill that is decorated with buillon oak leaves. It was made by "Luxenberg" and the address on the inside band of the hat is "84 fifth ave at 14th st. NYC" the inner headband is made of what appears to be cork and there is a gold eagle badge on the front of the cap. Also the chin strap is intact and gold showing normal patina. Can anyone help me as to a date? I bought the cap thinking it was WW2 but on further research I am thinking it might be a Korean or even Vietnam-era hat. Help please!
A Korean War era cap would have a brown leather bill and chin strap, because US Army uniforms at that time were no different than in WWII. I don't know when they switched to black leather, but it would be from that time or later. Be very careful, especially on EBay. Most of them don't seem to have any idea of what they're selling.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
Steaming a 50 Mission Crusher Cap

Browsing through some old threads, I read about someone's suggestion to steam a wool elastique US officer's visor cap to get the 50 Mission look.
I know you can steam a fedora but I've never heard of this process on a military cap. I would have thought the cap's construction and inherent floppiness would have prevented it.
Please can someone enlighten me on how it's done ?
All of my service caps are genuine WWII vintage, never worn, and this method works perfectly, so I imagine it would work on new caps too as long as the fabric is 100% wool or cotton. It works with wool/poly blends, but not as well. I use a washcloth or sponge and wet the cover with hot water, then put it on, shape it in the mirror the way I want it, and wear it 'til it's dry--which takes about an hour. It's just that simple. You have to take the plastic disk out of the inside, though. The cover will be stiff at first, but will soften-up right away. It will hold this shape for ever (as for as I know), and you can reshape it again using the same method. You can also get the same result by spraying it with spray starch: wet it down, shape it, and wear it 'til it's dry. Hope this helps.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
CRUSHER SIZING QUESTION

As you fellas all know, I want to buy a crusher cap, but don't know what size to order it in.

My hat size 23 inches. Should crusher caps have a loose fit, or a tight fit? What hat size should I order?

THANKS GUYS!

-USAAFAcePilot
I know a lot of guys are suggesting buying a cap larger than smaller, but I have to disagree. If you wear your cap more on the back of your head, you might want to get a little smaller one because the circumference of your head at that angle is actually smaller that your true head circumference. Also, every hat or cap I've ever owned has always stretched, or expanded, when my head would heat up, making it looser.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
To be honest, Mike, I've actually been looking at their MacArthur cap, rather than the "common" crusher--used to have a reference to a guy named O'Linc that had a Mac cap too, but darned if I can find him now... and $500 is some serious cash to drop on a hat that'd be seldom if ever worn.
You're not going to find one that really looks like MacArthur's. The ones I've seen look to have black (or very dark brown) bills, not brown; the braid is bright yellow fabric, not brass wire; and the device (not badge) should also be brass bullion. Have you ever thought about buying a regular cap and asking someone to do the bullion work on it? I live in Germany and haven't been able to find anyone here. I'm sure it would be expensive, but it would be awsome!

Edward

Bartender

drivingcap.jpg

While I know this is a long-ago post, for the benefit of anyone else looking for such a thing, as far as I can make out in the picture, I'd suggest looking at a Barry Simmonds Motorist Cap - https://www.facebook.com/pg/SimondsCraft/photos/?ref=page_internal

A Korean War era cap would have a brown leather bill and chin strap, because US Army uniforms at that time were no different than in WWII. I don't know when they switched to black leather, but it would be from that time or later. Be very careful, especially on EBay. Most of them don't seem to have any idea of what they're selling.

The US Army switched from brown to black leather combat boots in 1957 (though in practice it was a rolling switch until well into Vietnam), so I would have assumed they switched the colour of the cap bills and other leather bits at the same time. AFAIK, once the USAF became a separate branch of service in 1947 and switched to blue uniforms, their dress caps always had a black peak. That said, there were plenty of older bits till being worn in the field much later - I've sene photos of Korea-era and mid 50s USAF long-timers wearing B2 caps and the likes with their B15Cs and Ds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ