Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crusher caps

Dulmit

New in Town
That looks like a dead ringer.

My cap is now in pieces since I decided to disassemble it to use as a pattern for making my own cap.

If you are comfortable with the return policy etc. then might go for it. Hats are a very individual item and sometimes you really just need to hold a cap to know if it is right for you. As long as you can return it for a full refund (although rpobably minus S&H) it may be worthwhile to try it out. At the worst, you send it back and order the Diamond cap. At best you save a fair bit of money and end up with something you are perfectly content/happy with.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
If these two are the same cap, then why does the Garcia cap looked "crushed" and the other one I've found look stiffened. The Garcia cap, in the picture, has a rather nice "crush" to it.

Dulmit

New in Town
I think it is a matter of the way the pictures are taken and the way the hat is positioned.

http://www.marspec.net/surplus/prod...cer's+Cap&pf_id=PAAAIAKKIPAJNEPA&dept_id=3012

Not a crusher cap, but I found one of these at my local surplus store. The construction is super and after I removed the wire stiffener I am hoping to crush this into shape (think converted service cap). Cap cost me $10, very nice cap AND cheap.

I wish I could hold a real WWII cap to get a feel for proper build and quality. Using the Dutch hat as my guide for quality, the Garcia cap is VERY much a costume piece. On the Garcia cap the Brass chinstrap devices are not a screw on type (Dutch hat), but rather have 2 wires which are bent, to hold the device in place (not sure if this style is original, but I like the screw type better).

I think there is no real way to know if you will be satisfied until you actually see the cap in person. Just make sure they have a good return policy.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your help Dulmit. I'll definitely let you know what I will be getting when I finally come to a conclusion on what I'll be buying.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I would like to turn the discussion back in the direction of the What Price Glory crusher cap. I am now incorporating that hat back into my decision process.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dulmit said:
PS: Sorry for the mild hijack, but does anyone know what the original "stiffening bands" were made of? Not the sweat band, but the band under that.

I just got an original. The stiffener band seems to be made of gray rubber.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I am now leaning towards the What Price Glory cap.

I was wondering, once you take the stiffener out, does the cap immediately look or begin to "crush"? Do you have to "crush" it for long periods of time?

Also, if you have the What Price Glory cap, feel free to chime in on anything about the cap in particular.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Some stories I've read about replicas have mentioned having to actually crush the caps even after removing the stiffener, which make me wonder how accurate these things can really be, or if there is a miscommunication of terms. The real one I have has no means of holding it's shape once the stiffener is removed, so if the WPG is remotely accurate, it should do the same.

Stiffener in;
4393263548_0a66d800c8.jpg

Stiffener out (but front plate still in);
4393297822_26c80f9e7f.jpg

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Thanks N-B13. I guess I'll just have to order and find out.

Some stories I've read about replicas have mentioned having to actually crush the caps even after removing the stiffener

Did you mean crush them by hand? For how long?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I haven't waded in here...

Mostly because my thoughts probably mirror what a bunch of "old-hands" here at the Lounge are thinking and not saying...

USAAF at some point you just have to pull the trigger and buy something. This 200 hundred questions and infernal waffling is not going to elicit much in the way of constructive advice.

I've bought a LOT of WWII stuff that didn't fit/work for me. I sold it on eBay and without exception got my investment back. You can do the same.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Get whatever cap you want. Take the stiffener and front plate out, if needed. Plug your ipod into a set of over the head earphones. Put the cap on and smoosh it back. Put the earphones on over top and listen to your favorite stuff while you go about your business. When you're done, take the cap off, smash the bajeebus out of it and stuff it in a pocket. Go run errands. Sit on it. Rub the leather with your fingers after you fuel up the car. Roll it back up and stuff it in a pocket. Sit on it. That night, smear it with leather goop of your choosing. Next day, repeat the process. Occasionally forget you left it on the floor in the backseat and let your friends step on it when they get in and out.
Do this all summer, and it might start to look right.
It's sort of like the endless fussing over getting exactly the right "bash" (HATE that word) in a fedora and trying to keep it perfect and 'don't touch my hat!' To make any hat (or suit, or gloves, or shoes) look right takes studied abuse.

Get the cap, and beat hell out of it! Whether it's a Diamond Cap or US Wings.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
USAAF at some point you just have to pull the trigger and buy something. This 200 hundred questions and infernal waffling is not going to elicit much in the way of constructive advice.

In his defense, it took considerable pounding for him to get any of his actual questions answered about replicas. Lots of info, but not what he wanted. I had the same experience. I gave up and decided the only way to be sure was to get an authentic cap (in so-so condition in order to fit in my budget).

I know what you mean about having to pull the trigger sooner or later, but for some reason it's very hard to get usable info ("constuctive adivice") here or elsewhere on replica caps, other than the highest-end-holy-grail-gold-cup, Flighter. One of my peeves is the habit that people have of answering a different question than I asked (not here specifically, just generally). It seems that USAAF and myself have gotten plenty of that on this topic. He has had more patience than I.

I don't mean to be snippy here. I'm doing my best to not get that way because it is a peeve of mine. But I could not let it go by, since this came up. It is exactly the requests that would have made up my mind (and I'm guessing his) that have yet to answered. [huh]

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have several caps that I purchased because the price was right, and now they just hang on the wall. My favorite, and the one I wear regularly with my 'kit' has some dark brown color for a visor and strap - so it still isn't what I'd really like to have. The fact of the matter is, the ones that are perfect and just what I'd like to have are too "dang" expensive and out of my range. So I settle. In the end that 's all that any re-enactor can do unless they have the budget to get just what they want without sweating the cost. That ain't many of us, I can tell you that!

USAAF - I feel your pain! Now, pull out the plastic and take your first plunge into the hat maelstrom. If you're disappointed with it, make do until you can eBay it out and buy another. Believe me when I say all of us Loungers have the same frustrations when it comes to the perfect lid.

Good luck!

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points