Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom hats.

KK

New in Town
I was born in 1952, a forceps baby. For you youngsters, that was the age before the giant suction cups they now use to pull a recalcitrant baby from its mom, so one ear is lower than the other.

I just realized I don't have any hats that really fit. I mean, when I buy a hat, I ask for it to be blocked long oval, but that doesn't really do it.

I just Googled around and found that Clearwater is about the only place offering affordable (for me) hats made from a customer template (around $100).

I remember they used to offer a Trilby, so I guess I'll order one of those. I'm not a reenactor, so I don't really see myself wearing a period piece every day.

If anyone knows of any other affordable hatter who will work from a customer template, please post.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Sir, 3 ill fitting hats at $100 is worth 1/10th of a good fitting hat at $300. Give Art Fawcett a ring - you`ll be on our way to satisfaction. Or get an Akubra, they`ll fit any head for $100...

KK

New in Town
daizawaguy said:
Sir, 3 ill fitting hats at $100 is worth 1/10th of a good fitting hat at $300. Give Art Fawcett a ring - you`ll be on our way to satisfaction. Or get an Akubra, they`ll fit any head for $100...

Clearwater's a bad fit? Thanks, I wouldn't have known!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
KK said:
Clearwater's a bad fit? Thanks, I wouldn't have known!

If you can get a perfect template of your head Clearwater might be able to get a good fit for you.

But, Art sends you a "conformer" that does an excellent job of communicating to him the size and SHAPE of your head.

It sounds as though your head may be sufficiently assymetrical to require a non-oval configuration.

KK

New in Town
OK thanks.

It took me around 45 minutes to template my head last night, and the gap is no greater than 1/32" anywhere. Guess I'll try it if someone will answer the phone.

Ordered an Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone Grey (recommended elsewhere here). Three months.

The Fawcett Sammy D is amazing. Wish I could've bought one for Dad!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can't say enough good things about Art Fawcett's hats. If you want a hat that fits like it should, go with Art - I guarantee you will be happy.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Big Man said:
Can't say enough good things about Art Fawcett's hats. If you want a hat that fits like it should, go with Art - I guarantee you will be happy.

:arated:

The best $305 you'll ever spend. His ribbon work is amazing, too (look left!)--sorry, I just can't stop bragging about it. :eek: :D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Art Fawcett has already been mentioned. There's also Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters, Optimo, Tumwater (is that the name?), Penman, and I'm sure some other names will crop up soon. I just can't think of them.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yup, Tumwater, owned by our very own tonyb. There's also Adventurebilt, and I know Worth & Worth has done some work with customs, but I don't think from templates.

colps

One of the Regulars
I have had three hats made by Mr Fawcett ,I think he's work is outstanding and he is a first class gentleman.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
i have a custom hat that was made by Gene Baldwin of Baldwin Hat Company of Sister, Oregon. I did a great deal of searching for a custom hat maker before contacting Gene. I have had a great experience with Baldwin Hat Company. Gene sent a conformateur, directions on how to use it properly, and from there produced a hat that was formed to fit my head. Just some food for thought. ( I know this is some years late.)

Last edited:

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Thank you for reviving this thread. I'm new to hats and am looking forward to learning about the different custom hat makers.

Regards,
Wilkey

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Thank you for reviving this thread. I'm new to hats and am looking forward to learning about the different custom hat makers.

Regards,
Wilkey

I am happy to hear that you found the thread helpful. Do not be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty of people with a lot of knowledge. Enjoy!

Lotsahats

One Too Many
If I were getting another custom hat, I'd go with Bob Jessee at Black Sheep Hatworks again. His work is amazing and artistic, and tha custom I have from him fits better than any other custom hat I've gotten.

A

RJR

I have yet to be disappointed in a hat from one of the custom makers mentioned here.

bwchase

Familiar Face
Picked up my Christmas present to my self today from Gene Baldwin in Sisters Oregon.
First custom hat and I couldn't be more pleased. Looked around for a while and drove over and talked to Gene, wait about 1 month.

From my experience with made to measure custom hats the two things that really make a big difference in the comfort of the hat is being measured with a conformateur (in person, if possible) & the width & quality of the sweatband used. Not only does the conformateur measure the true shape of your head but it can be used by a qualified hatter to dial in the actual fit you like. Everything else such as the fur blend, reeding, etc is just what goes in to make the overall quality of the hat.

Picked up my Christmas present to my self today from Gene Baldwin in Sisters Oregon.
First custom hat and I couldn't be more pleased. Looked around for a while and drove over and talked to Gene, wait about 1 month.
Another Oregon hat maker......one I did not know about and I vacation in Sisters a week each year. Must be something in the Oregon water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart