Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Date The Photos!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I was just reviewing my "Swiped from eBay" slide collection, and I ran across this particular set. I saved these almost a year ago and I still find the amount of details quite fascinating.

I've little clue of where or when exactly were these pictures taken, but I'm positive that with some close observation of things such as license plates and the newest cars, one can pinpoint their date and location.

What I do know for sure is that they're Dufaycolor slides (hence the odd colouring) and that they were taken in the midwestern U.S. in the late 30's or early 40's.

So, without further ado, here are the pics:

carsscan0007.jpg

streetscan0011.jpg

The truck on the right says it's from Illinois

streetscan0001.jpg

Notice the patriotic decor on these - a prewar 4th of July? Showing support for the troops overseas?

Now, there's a picture in this series that gives a pretty blatant clue of the date, but considering it's drastically different location, who knows if they were taken by the same fella at the same time.

You may start guessing... now!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I think the truck says Billings. Look closer, there are two letters before the ll and no letter between the O or G and the S at the end.

Besides, a company would be unlikely to put the state they are from. That would be a given. But the city would be more likely. My guess is Billings Montana.

A car enthusiast should be able to date the cars.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Reatpleat - the truck clearly says Billings. The Northern Hotel is still in Billings, as is the Babcock Theater, both of which are featured in the photos. There's also C.R. Anthony, which I believe was only a chain in the western U.S. before they went out of business in the 1970's. Here's a link to the City of Billings website with photos of their historic buildings. I'd bet comparing those to your photos, you'll probably find matches.

Story

I'll Lock Up
In photo number 3, there's a brick building on the right with THE DUNN (Something) and on the left side of the street, there's a sign for THE UNION. Hmmm.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The google-fu is strong today...

...and it's taking me interesting places. My conclusions:

Slide 1: Amarillo, Texas, 1938 or 1940.
Slide 2: Billings, Montana, August, 1938.
Slide 3: Columbus, Ohio, summer, early 1940s.

My evidence:

Slide 1

A major hint as to the locale for this picture is a large "Texas" sign in the middle distance at the right (perhaps a theater). C.R. Anthony's, a chain based in Oklahoma City, operated stores in several western and southwestern states including Texas.

I am also reasonably certain that the corner sign at street level on the large red brick building to the right reads AMARILLO, which would pinpoint it nicely.
353895491_7b13452973_o.jpg

Cars in slide 1 bear white license tags. If Texas, this means 1938 (black figures on white) or 1940 (dark purple on white). Texas 1930s-40s tags are here.

The only identifiable cars here are what I think is a 1930 Plymouth parked by the air mailbox at far left – then 3 Chevys, two '36s to right of the Plymouth, and a '37 leading the pack – and finally a '37 Olds just behind the lead Chevy.

All this further suggests 1938, but 1940 is still possible.

I can't really confirm my Amarillo hunch – very little googles up for downtown Amarillo in this period. But that tiny lettering has me confident.

Slide 2

Per this site, "The Northern Hotel (right of frame) was rebuilt after being destroyed by fire in 1940." Now it's your call as to whether that outdoor signing looks pre- or post-1940. I'll say pre-, reasons below.

Cars in slide 2 bear orange license tags, indicating 1936 or 1938. 1930s Montana tags are here. No 1940s Montana tags were orange.

The Lindamood Music truck is recognizably a '38 Ford. Other cars include a '35 Ford and '29-'30 Chevy.

The Midland Empire Fair (slide 2, red letter banners above street) was going on at the time the pix were taken. This was apparently held in mid-August.

So August, 1938.

Slide 3

I say this is Columbus, Ohio. Why? It was a dumb-luck hit for the phrase "Mills Buffet" (middle left) on Google that yielded this passage about Columbus-born writer James Thurber. The red names are signs I see in whole or in part in the pic.

Thurber Connection said:
In January of 1946, James and Helen came to Columbus for a delayed celebration of his mother, Mame's, eightieth birthday. Even though Mame lived at the Southern Hotel, the couple checked into the old Deshler-Wallich Hotel that dominated the Broad-High corner for many years and was only a block away from the Columbus Dispatch where Thurber had once worked as a cub reporter and columnist. The hotel was also midway between Mills Cafeteria and Mills Buffet, two of their favorite dining places. [...]
Downtown Columbus was jumpin' and jivin' with activity in those days. The sidewalks were crowded with shoppers headed for the F & R Lazarus Co., Madison's, the Union, Morehouse-Martens, Dunn-Tafts, J.C. Penny's, Moby's, the Boston Store, men and women's specialty clothing stores, a dozen or more five-and-ten-cent stores [...]

Deshler-Wallich was a tuffy: all that's legible is HOT L followed by an obviously longish name ending in TION, LION, or something similar. After reading the Thurber page, LICH was the obvious solution, and I could make out the ES in Deshler as well.
353895494_9992e2eb0c_o.jpg

Guessing a date is hampered by the absence of recognizable cars. That and the patriotic banners with Army crests do suggest the war years.

But I'm confident it's Columbus. It could even have been 1938, if the photographer was really getting around. But I'd say later.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Folks, that was terrific! Y'all got a very keen eye.
Yes, it does read Billings on the truck from slide no. 2. I guess my eyesight's not that good after midnight! And it's definitely Billings Mont. - Broadway to be specific:
mt_billings01.jpg

(Note the building with the white facade)

Fletch, that was amazing research. The James Thurber bit nailed it pretty good. And Lauren, I just knew you'd put a specific date on slide no. 3 from just looking at the outfits.

And here's the other, far more obvious slide from the set:
nyscan0015.jpg

At first I knew this was taken no later than 1943 becaue of the Fats Waller banner on the right. Then I caught this familiar looking flag by the Ben Bernie banner and there it was- The 1939 New York World's Fair (not 1940). This is confirmed by the yellow license plates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21