Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you attend a college or university?

Did you attend a college or university?

• Yes

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
University of Puget Sound class of 2000, BA in History (concentration on Asian and pre-soviet Russian history) and MA in teaching 2004... I returned for the MA after a 3 year hiatus. I only did 2 years of undergraduate there, the rest was at Pasadena City College... I was on the seven year plan!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
College was out of the question for me for financial reasons -- I had to go straight to work after high school, and I've never had the chance to go back and see what I missed. It frustrates me terribly that a degree is necessary these days to make any kind of a decent living, given the things I've managed to accomplish without one.

A lot of successful people don't have a degree, and a lot of people with degrees aren't successful. All the time and effort I put into getting an engineering degree didn't amount to a hill of beans, financially.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I'm currently working on my BS in the longest name for a degree ever: Consumer Apparel and Retail Studies *deep breath* with Concentration on Apparel Construction and Design annnnnnnnd and minor a minor in Psychology. I started here at 18 and i'm 22 now. Only because I didn't have an epiphany about what I wanted to do for a career until my Junior year in college, so i figured better late than never. I'm working in my chosen industry now...just not designing clothing, but i tell ya I can make a MEAN Latte and sprint it up the stairs in heels in less than 30 seconds now. lol Ah, the life of an intern, maybe one day the will let me touch something.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
BA in history from Chadron State College, 1997

Took a hiatus from school, got married, had a baby, took care of kids, then went back in 2002.

Got my MA in history from University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Wanted to go on and get my PhD, but the ivory tower mentality wasn't up my alley, so I decided to save my money. :D

Marty M.

Vendor
Someone in common.

LizzieMaine said:
College was out of the question for me for financial reasons -- I had to go straight to work after high school, and I've never had the chance to go back and see what I missed.

Yeah, I'm not alone on the Lounge. We'll have to meet someday and discuss what we did and didn't miss out on.
Marty Mathis

zaika

One Too Many
Portland State University. Worked towards a BA in Foreign Language, Russian. Left in 2002...but I only have four credits to go. I don't know why it's taking me so long to finish as I would like to go for an MA in Russian. I have a solid job, I do use my skills, but every time I remember that I need to actually finish...it's in the middle of the semester.
Now might be a good time to enroll in an online class or something.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Right now I'm a junior at UCLA. I'm an art major and am minoring in women's studies. I started when I was 17 and will probably end up graduating when I'm 22.

I'm thinking about going to grad school for Information Studies with a specialization in Archival Studies.

Were you fortunate enough to attend a college or university?
Yes.
When did you attend and at what age?
January '00 to January '05 (took one quarter off between high-school and college, spent it doing community-service work); ages 20-25.
Where was the school located?
I trust, with my background and admitted paranoia, my disinclination to answer this one shall be forgiven.
What was your major/minor?
Every different Associates' in the Business Department catalog; now, I'm working up for a double-major when I resume my BA between History or Military Sciences, and Psych.
If you finished a graduate program, what was your field?
N/A
Are you working in your field of study?
Sometimes--being a research freelancer in a niche field tends to mean long stretches between contracts...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
No way. Life tought me!!!
Studied 1/2 year to become a teacher - droped out. Too boring.

Working in a Bookshop and taking a interior decorator education. At the same time.
Educated radiooperator as part of my national service.

4 years at Artschool - some call it a BA or even a MA. I don't!

After that - working in advertising for more than 30 years. Art Director, copywriter and filmdirector...but no university. Not that I miss it though.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies, Yale University
Master of Arts in Teaching, Boston University

Currently I'm a corporate training and organizational development executive, so I am using my graduate degree, albeit in a different way than I originally intended.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
B.A. in Legal Studies from the Univ. of Illinois at Springfield. Almost an M.A. in Environemental Studies from the same.

Now working in a profession that utilizes neither! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo