Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You "Like" the Indiana Jones Comment?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Let's face the fact. Most of us, being frequent fedora wearers that we are, have got the Indiana Jones comment at least once. At the very least, whether it is in the form of a Raiders March theme whistle, a whip sound, or a straight out "Hey Indiana Jones!" or "Are you an archaeologist?" sort of comment from friends, family, or flat out strangers passing by.

But, what I mean to ask here is, do you actually like the Indiana Jones comments? Do you enjoy them for what they are, a reference to one of the most recognizable film characters of all time?

I have actually had several of such references made over the course of starting fedora wearing about nine months ago. To be honest here, I actually don't mind mind them. I knew from the start what I was getting into. I even bought a brown Akubra Federation IV, essentially one of the most popular factory production Indy hats being made today, to those wanting relative screen accuracy that is, and not the "Official" Dorfman Pacific stuff. Not so much for the Indiana Jones fan thing as much as it was for a color and model preference, but I'm willing to accept the Indy remarks. Some of you may have read my rather recent post in the Dumbest Comments thread, about a girl on the campus of my local community college shouting "Indiana Jones!" as I was walking by, dressed virtually the same as I appear in my profile avatar. As she was smiling, I did not mind it one bit, and I took it as a compliment to my style, although I wasn't trying to imitate the Indiana Jones character. My own family sometimes gives me the Indy comment, in the form of humming the Raiders March, or otherwise. I'm fine with that too though, as they're just playfully joking around. Besides, I've yet to come across anyone who actually hates the Indiana Jones character...

Maybe to some here this wasn't worth starting a whole new thread for, as there's the "Dumbest Comments" thread, but at least I thought so. This sort of comment occurs so frequently, that is why I single it out here now.

Mav

A-List Customer
I've gotten the Indie comment a few times, but, more often, it's Elliot Ness (might be because I hang out with somewhat older dudes.)
Being that I was raised to understand that most people are morons, I don't worry about it too much, unless I've had an exceptionally bad day, in which case my usual response is "**** off."
Which might be why I don't have that many close friends.

In short, don't worry about it, and move that Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft from "may get" to "must have." Much like buying a Harley, it'll change your life. With classier chicks.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If in Indy gear (which happens maybe twice a year), it's kind of the point, and I don't mind.

But in the normal day-to-day, just wearing my hats.... I only get the Indy comment from friends and family. However, I do NOT like it. At first, it was just a friendly rib. But after all these years, it's quite irritating that the people who see me every day refuse to integrate my hat wearing into my identity. It's like the guy who tells the same long, bad anecdote at every party. He does no harm, but he makes you hate going to parties. The only times I feel self conscious with a hat on is when I'm with friends and family, and it's because of their attitude toward my hats. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.I'm not being compared to a film hero, I'm being compared to somebody who wears Spock ears to go grocery shopping. :rage:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:
The only times I feel self conscious with a hat on is when I'm with friends and family, and it's because of their attitude toward my hats. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.I'm not being compared to a film hero, I'm being compared to somebody who wears Spock ears to go grocery shopping. :rage:

I understand what you mean, even though I'm not as "experienced" when it comes to wearing fedoras as you may be. Still a newcomer here. It's when I wear it around my own family I'm most self-conscious, and coincidentally, I happen to get the most Indy comments, from my siblings. I actually agree with you, in that they probably view me more as "someone who wears Spock ears" than an actual film hero. I am a bit of a Trekkie too, but that's another topic... and no, I don't wear a Star Trek uniform or Spock Vulcan ears.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Like Not Bogart13, if I'm wearing my Indy hat (Fed IV with a purposeful ROLA crease) I have to accept the Indy comments. BUT it bugs the hell out of me when someone makes an Indy comment when say I'm wearing a grey Campdraft and a corduroy jacket. There's nothing Indy about me except we both are wearing hats.

DRB

One Too Many
People, in general, need to be taught to appreciate hats. Living in our modern society that no longer passes on from generation to generation an appreciation of hats, means that they just won't understand the benefits of wearing a hat.

When I am around others and it is raining, I make sure to ask them, "Where is your hat?" I have never had anyone answer me. That is my small attempt to educate the public, that and being a role model. Don't get me wrong, I don't wear hats to educate people, I wear them because I like them.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
There is something similar to the Indie comment.
When you have a Pomp you sometimes get the Elvis comment...

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Bogart...Not Indy

I've worn fedoras since before there was an Indiana Jones and my friends, family and acquaintances are all used to seeing me in a hat. In fact, many people do not realize I am bald because they have only seen me in a hat, especially at shul.

That said, while I do not get "Indy" comments, I do get "Bogart" comments when I often wear a fedora and a trench coat.

Buzz

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
M6Classic said:
That said, while I do not get "Indy" comments, I do get "Bogart" comments when I often wear a fedora and a trench coat. Buzz

No one has said it to me, but when I have my 2 1/2 inch brim beaver fedora and a trenchcoat, I remind myself of Inspector Clouseau.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
I actually dont get it that often. But when I do its time for a bit of a wise crack. Eg:

(With chinese accent) "You call me Mr. Jones"

"Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory."

I like it a bit - but then again it always says more about the person who feels the need to make the comment.

Qirrel

Practically Family
I get it sometimes. More often from kids, but i have no idea why. The problem with the Jones comment is that i never know if it s rudely meant or as a compliment to the fact that i have accomplished a "look". I feel much better when people give me the "Gatsby".

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I've got the comment a couple of times, but I don't really mind it. Sometimes I correct them ("Indy's hat was dark brown, this is fawn") and sometimes I just smile at them.

In Finland, people are too timid to make comments, generally, so most of the comments are merely semi-covered long looks from a distance - and I usually ignore them.

I once heard a small kid whisper "indiana jones" to his father when I had walked by and I glanced back to see a startled look on the father's face as he met my eyes and I gave them a friendly smile (well, I _thought_ it was friendly). That's how timid people in Finland are.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I almost never hear such comments -- any comments I get are overwhemingly positive -- but when I do, it bugs me a bit because I don't really care about the Indy Jones movies. I saw the first two or three when they first came out, but haven't given them a thought since.

I'm an old movie buff, and my interest in vintage clothing and fedoras was sparked by the literally thousands of pre-1960 movies I've seen, virtually every one of which are chock full of men wearing hats. It depresses me that so many people identify fedoras strictly with Indy, because it suggests they are completely unaware of so many great movies of the 1950s, '40s, '30s and earlier.

odd comments

what bothers me is the inaccuracy of the comments. I've gotten indy comments / theme music, mostly from co-workers but it's when I'm wearying my campdraft. I usually mutter something about fortune and glory and keep walking.

I do how ever hat an "admirer" at work who keeps calling me Capone (once again in the campdraft) and says he loves my "60's" hats (akubra capricorn) but I think he's genuine about it.

I've also had two lower income individuals follow me down the hall at work, staying way to close saying "nice hat, I'd love a hat like that" but I don't think they had the never to do anything about it.

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
A strange phenomonen for you all, I reside in England, and last year, on the South Coast I had a pair of goons comment on my hat in a very anti-semitic manner, I am C of E. I was okay with the comments really, but, just because I enjoy a fedora, it gets a tad personal with these people. I have to put it down to the old adage, 'Ignorance is bliss', therefore we must have a global population of very blissful people....don't let it get to you, when hats make the expected comeback, then you will be classed as a trendsetter, and won't that be bliss.....???:D

Tiller

Practically Family
The times I've gotten it, it's always been from a group of guys my age or younger who are just act like jerks to people in general. Just growl a little bit, or give them a verbal smackdown and their isn't any more to it then that.

Some people though have said it in an attempt to be friendly. "You look like Indiana Jones! Where can I get a hat like that?"

As far as family and friends go, just give the crap right back to them. In my experience if you act like your ashamed of what your wearing it will only egg people on more, especially family :p.

Example:
Cousin Ted: "Jeez Tiller, are you in the mob now?"

After looking Ted up and down. Me: "Jeez Ted, are you living in a trailer park now?"

Then their is laughter and beer to pass out. :p

JimWagner

Practically Family
I might get a "nice hat" every once in a while, but I don't think I've ever gotten an Indy comment. Probably because I'm old enough to be Indy's father.

Mostly I get "where can I find a hat like that?"

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
I understand what you mean, even though I'm not as "experienced" when it comes to wearing fedoras as you may be. Still a newcomer here. It's when I wear it around my own family I'm most self-conscious, and coincidentally, I happen to get the most Indy comments, from my siblings.

I hope that, over time, your family stops seeing the "costume" and gets used to hats being part of you.
I expected a bit of it when I first started, but I have worn a hat every day for over 5 years and they haven't adjusted. Yet, if I take my car for inspection and the counter guy doesn't see my hat he wonders where it is? I see him ONCE A YEAR! :eusa_doh:

And there's nothing wrong with wearing Spock ears... as long as it's the right place and time. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner