Do You Wear a Sam Browne / Duty Belt with Your Motorcycle Jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Kane, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Kane

Kane Familiar Face

I’ve been wondering what the benefit would be to wear a duty belt with my Cal-Leather LAPD jacket. This is my riding jacket. It has the snap belt loops along the waist, but I use it just zipped and it’s great. Does the belt add any comfort or function for riding? Other than being able to attach and carry things on the belt, which I probably would not do while riding, it seems like it would just add more weight and bulk to an already heavy jacket, and the buckle could scrape the tank. Perhaps I’m missing something? Does anyone feel it improves these jackets?

2. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Short answer, there's no need for a belt at the waist on a motorcycle jacket. Plenty of MC jackets don't have a belt, and work just fine.

HoosierDaddy, ton312 and Carlos840 like this.
  3. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

Unless the jacket fits loose at the waist or you live in a cold /damp climate the belt serves no real purpose apart from looks.ive belted many a petrol tank with the heavy buckles.Every bike needed to have a tank protector fitted to save scrapes.

AeroFan_07, Ric. and ton312 like this.
  4. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Not mine!
    [​IMG]

5. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

I like the samurai sword on the right there.

ton312 likes this.
  6. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Jockey shift (sort of).

7. Kane

Kane Familiar Face

Ton312,
    Now my imagination is reeling! How about letting us see the beast in all of her glory?

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Man I haven't been on it in 5 years. Built it in 2001...rode it as much as possible until my daughter came along in 2010, since then it does nothing but collect dust:'58 ironhead, Morris magneto, no (functioning) front brake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feraud, patrick_b, Dav and 18 others like this.
  9. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Not front brake?

[​IMG]

Trying to stop that thing with only a rear brake must be pretty intense!
    At least if you can't stop in time the sword will probably cut your femoral artery open as you crash and give you a quick death...
    Looks great though.

ai00344 and ton312 like this.
  10. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

LOL...it does have a mini front drum, but it's completely useless. Yeah it's not really a corner carver. But up and down Lakeshore drive was a lot of fun!
    [​IMG]
    If I could do it over again I might set it up with some rear sets like these:
    [​IMG]
    Putting balls in a perilous position on a rigid frame though...have to rename it "NUTCRAcKER"

Feraud, AeroFan_07, bn1966 and 5 others like this.
  11. SinSir

SinSir One of the Regulars

That's a badass iron! An ironhead was my first love hate relationship with a bike that affectionately earned a non internet friendly nick name. It always took my money, and I rarely got to ride it. In all fairness it was as much upgrades as repairs and repairs just meant further customization down the spiral. I loved that bike until the day it was stolen. Blessing and a curse.

Still a fan of them to this day and always get excited when I see cool rides like yours!

Edit-topic

I echo what others have said. I think it looks right, and I use it to tighten my jacket. I don't really like laces on the side or tightened up too much in everyday wear. The belt helps with that on the fly with out cinching down each side.

roadking04, Kane and ton312 like this.
  12. Kane

Kane Familiar Face

Wow, very cool. Thanks fo posting those pics! Nice to see some old iron and a real hardtail frame. You could do some serious jousting on that machine!

SinSir and ton312 like this.
  13. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I always wear my Cal with the belt but it's definitely only for the show. Belt I got for it is massive and it makes the already very heavy jacket even less comfortable. But I love the look. So... Yeah. It's pretty much the only benefit I'm getting from wearing it with the belt. However, maybe it served some purpose on cop jackets. Don't know. And @ton312 , you ought get back on that bike.

[​IMG]

14. Kane

Kane Familiar Face

Thank you. Your jacket looks amazing!
    I guess it’s mostly about the look. I believe that the LAPD motorcycle officers, et al, wore their duty belts with the accessory holders and holsters over the waist of their jackets, through the loops. And you think these jackets are already pretty heavy! SinSir makes a good point of it’s function, and I am wondering if it would give a bit more support than the lower back section of the jacket alone. I know that Cal-Leather includes a Sam Browne style duty belt (sans the diagonal shoulder strap) with their new LAPD jackets. I guess it’s as much out of tradition and for style as anything else, unless of course these are still going to police departments. These jackets seem rather low tech for the current para-military police departments!

Monitor likes this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

Need belt heavy buckle to protect the jacket.

Mil, roadking04, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  16. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

AeroFan_07 and ton312 like this.
  17. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Yess yess! One of a kind art!
    B

ton312 likes this.
  18. Edward

Edward Bartender

Which is, of course, why Lewis first put a leather-covered buckle on the Bronx in 1956, then sussed it by replacing the belt with side-buckles for the Lightning in 1958!

I always wear the belt with a jacket if it's designed to have one, otherwise, no. I thik i~d rather notch it in just a bit with a belt or side buckles than buy a *really* tight fit without.

Peter Mackin likes this.
  19. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

In some agencies, the uniform specifications require the gun belt over the jacket, and held onto the jacket with belt keepers. Some agencies don't. Some guys have jackets cut above the gun belt. Some agencies spec a fur collar. Some require double breasted jackets. Around here, most guys don't even use belt keepers. We wear our gun belts with a little sag down the hip, like cowboys, so that you can see the pants belt buckle above the gun belt buckle. My motorcycle jacket sits at the waist, and my holster has a slight drop.

El Marro likes this.
  20. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

Is your jacket leather or fabric?