Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have an Akubra Bogart?

Donato

One of the Regulars
I would like to hear opinions about this model from those who own one. Akubra receives excellent reviews across the board on this forum for quality and price quotient, so I would imagine the Bogart is no exception. I am itching to order one in black. I wonder how the Akubra Bogart compares to the Jaxon model. Thanks guys.

NonEntity

Suspended
Akubras I've never heard of

I thought I knew Akubras pretty well until I got here and found out about the Federation, Stylemaster, and now the Bogart, all models that I've just learned are not regularly imported into the U.S. but are available through such places as hatsdirect.com, outbackoutlet.com, walkabout.com, and australian-shop.ca/hats.

The S & H for those places is astronomical because they have to ship hats all the way from down under, but if you're sure you like the hat and it will definitely fit, go for it.

Post a link to the vendor so we can take a look at the Bogart.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
Wasn't there something awhile back saying that the Bogart was the same hat sold in the US as the Sydney?
The Sydney and the Bogart are two different hats.
Sydney Hat by Akubra

* Pure fur felt
* Open Crown, 5-1/4" to top
Shape the crown to your desired shape.
* 2-1/2" brim, raw edge
* 1" grosgrain ribbon band
* Fully lined
* Reeded roan leather sweatband
* No chin strap hooks
* Colors are Regency Fawn or Charcoal
* Classic fedora style
$116.00: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=92

AkubraSydney.jpg

The Bogart by Akubra:
The Bogart is a modern classic 40's style fedora - made famous by its namesake, Humphrey Bogart.
Pure fur felt
The snap brim is 64mm or about 2 1/2 inches wide with a bound edge.
The hat band is a top quality gros-grain ribbon.
The crown is 100mm-4” high.
Colors are Black or Grey
Classic fedora style
$91.00 U.S. (Shipping and Insurance Included) - a great price from: http://www.australiangear.com.au/product/bindex.php?product=menshatsuniquer&fromw=menshatsuniquer
bogart.jpg

bogart_black.jpg

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
So it seems that the primary difference is open crown versus pre-shaped.

By the way, the Sydney is my favorite of my my somewhat limited collection for every day wear.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One of my fav hats is 'very similar' to the Sydney (see pics)

Gents. This truely is one of my favourite hats which I picked up a few months back from a Gentleman's Outfitters who recognised that fedoras/trilbys just were not selling anymore and they cleared their remaining stock. This was one of them that I rescued and although initially I did not like the thin ribbon in the lovat green colour...and was going to replace it with a thicker grossgrain...thankfully I did not rush into it and NOW I actually like the thin ribbon on it. The shade of green actually compliments well the gun metal grey (that bluey/grey) shade of the felt. It's less overwhelming and doesn't crowd the felt and shape of the hat.

Because this hat didn't cost a Kings' Ransom, I take more risks with it and wear it much more frequently, because if it gets sat on or stolen, it's no 'great' loss, other than losing what 'to my eye' is a good looking hat. The felt has a lovely buttery feel, but it's the butteryness you get with a 'pretty boy' James Bond like Brosnan, with hopefully more of a steel edge just lying beneath that pretty-boy exterior.

This hat style and colour looks as much at home in an open shirt sweating over the summertime Barbie as it does in a trenchcoat being a film noir sleuth-like figure flitting from the shadows to the cocktail bars!

As soon as I saw that Sydney, it made me 'think' of this one in the pics. My choice...I like the Sydney. And being Akubra, you know you've got a beater that will be hard to beat!!;) As my Yankie pals say..."More Bangs for your Buck Paddy!!"

Hatnewgrey017.jpg

Hatnewgrey003-1.jpg

Hatnewgrey005-1.jpg

Hatnewgrey018.jpg

Birthday07004.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Good looking hat, Paddy - I remember you posting about that at the time, you got quite a deal as I recall. Both Akubras under discussion I should imagine will be fine hats. I quite fancy the idea of a Bogart in grey (I've only seen them selling in black before - Hatsdirect.com I think only stock them in black?), though unless the grey was that beautiful light shade of grey I'd adore ot have a Federation in, I'd probably opt for the "The Fedora" model - very similar to the Bogart, but with the addition of a wind trolley. Hats Direct stock those in black, grey and brown..... I already have a black Biltmore/Miller with a wt; I'm thinking over time a borwn and a grey would allow me to have a range of options for those windy days when chasing down the road after the Fed just doesn't appeal.... lol

Al

One of the Regulars
Paddy,

Great find, very good looking hat and great skinny ribbon and color combination. I like it! You wear it well.

-Al

Edward

Bartender
Donato said:
Pardon my ignorance of hat terminology, Edward, but what is a "wind trolley?":eusa_doh:

No problem, I didn't know once upon a time (well.... a few months ago) either! It's a piece of elastic attached to the outside bottom of the corwn of the hat, left hand side. On there other end is a button. The elastic is normally wrapped around the hat band, with the button sitting around the bow. The idea is that when you are exposed to windy conditions you can unwrap the elastic from round the hat and fasten the button through the button hole in your jacket lapel. If your hat blows off in the wind, it's thus attached to you so you don't have to go running down the street after it. They're also often referred to as a lapel cord.

Sorry that's probably not the clearest explanation, but you get where I'm going? I seem to recall someone posted photos a while back of one in use in a thread I asked about them in but I can't seem to find it now. Hope this is of some help at least.

blade runner

New in Town
I had one...

I bought an Akubra Bogart a few months ago in black. I don't have any pictures right now. It fit all right, although I'm a long oval so it wasn't perfect. The felt seems thinner on the Bogart than on my Federation, but it also is a bit stiffer. The hat comes pre-bashed. Unlike the Fed, the crown of the Bogart is tapered and it is shorter. After wearing it a few times I decided that the crown looks a little too small on my head (which was a little surprising because the Fed looks a little too tall). I ended up giving the Bogart to my daughter for Christmas because she wanted a fedora -- and she looks better in it than I did!:) Being an Akubra, it is still a good hat, but I didn't think it really captured the '40s look -- maybe a later period with the shorter, tapered crown.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Edward, for the explanation. Now I understand that I have a wind trolley on my Borsalino Bellagio! I saw it there but had no idea what it was or what purpose it served.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Many Thanks Al...!

And many welcomes to the Lounge. May your time here be well spent and full of enjoyment and learning!!

Kindest Regards, Paddy M.

Al said:
Paddy,

Great find, very good looking hat and great skinny ribbon and color combination. I like it! You wear it well.

-Al

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
While slightly off topic, pardon me, how does the Akubra Bogart compare the the Jaxon Bogart? More specifically, a gray Jaxon Bogart to a gray Akubra.

I recall reading other, more 'dedicated' posts, but none seem to compare the shades of gray to each other, unless I've just been searching with the wrong terms.

-Allen

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Gatsby84 said:
While slightly off topic, pardon me, how does the Akubra Bogart compare the the Jaxon Bogart? More specifically, a gray Jaxon Bogart to a gray Akubra.

I recall reading other, more 'dedicated' posts, but none seem to compare the shades of gray to each other, unless I've just been searching with the wrong terms.

-Allen

I can't comment on the color or size of the specific models, but I do own a Jaxson Detroit and three Akubras, and feel there is no comparison in quality. The Jaxson is made in China of very thin material. While mine is fairly new, I suspect it won't last long. The Akubras, on the other hand, I adore.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Gatsby84 said:

-Allen
I'll let you know about the Akubra Bogart as soon as I receive it. I cannot do a comparison with the Jaxon Bogart because I don't have one. Others here who have one can comment about that.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
If I get an Akubra Bogart, I understand that I should buy a larger size than I would normally wear because Akubra's shrink. Is there a hard and fast rule on this (one size larger for instance).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, you should probably order your regular size. It's more that Akubras start out sized a little big and then shrink to your personally correct size. By all means, measure your head carefully, and look at the charts on the sites, talk to the dealers, etc., to be sure.

I've always ordered my "normal" size - 57 aka 7-1/8 - and then found the hats initially too big (feeling like a quarter or half-size too large), and had to put some foam or cloth behind the sweatbands. But after a half-dozen sweaty wearings, I found that they all conformed to my size, and I was able to remove the foam.

Donato

One of the Regulars
MrFusion said:
If I get an Akubra Bogart, I understand that I should buy a larger size than I would normally wear because Akubra's shrink. Is there a hard and fast rule on this (one size larger for instance).
I sure hope that is not true since I ordered my normal size. Before ordering, I asked on this forum and also Akubra and they said my normal size should be fine. I just received another Akubra - the Riverina - also ordered in my regular size and it fits just fine. If it shrinks, that will be another matter. I, too, would appreciate member thoughts on the MrFusion's question. Thanks.

Edward

Bartender
Hatsdirect.com advised me to order my regular size, and proised that an Akubra will feel a little loose to begin with, but will soon conform to the shape of my head. I have no worries that it will shrink smaller than that. I certainly wouldn't go up a size - seems to me that that would risk a hat that is always gonig to be too big!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy