Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke of Windsor - at it again! Duke of Windsor plotted to regain throne

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Look at them... just look at them....

windsors.jpg
pathetic woman simpson, pathetic husband, and the other one too all pathetic losers

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
On second thoughts,I have reassessed my abrupt words.
I should not have called the Duke and wife pathetic. They were just human beings like the rest of us, and human beings are not perfect. His actions can only be considered to have been what he felt best at the time, even if he was wrong.-

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
I should not have called the Duke and wife pathetic. They were just human beings like the rest of us, and human beings are not perfect. His actions can only be considered to have been what he felt best at the time, even if he was wrong.-

As usual your post made my day brighter.

Your perspective has caused me to consider his humanness rather than the position he was born into. The man had the strength to face the world and his family while he followed his soul's desire to be with Simpson.

That is something I simply respect......He was true to himself....

Thank you Ma'am...;) :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I Would Be King

HadleyH said:
One thing you reminded me about was a special on the Duke a few years ago. What I came away with was the fact that as unpleasant as some of my childhood may have been, I would not trade it with either Edwards or Charles, for all their fortune and status!

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Regarding the Hitler stuff, we need to keep in mind how different the world was in 1936. Germany was on the road to "eliminating" unemployment with a massive military buildup with huge spending for public works, and the US and UK were stuck really bad. It even got worse the next year, while the Fascists and even the Soviets seemed to have "answers".

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DetroitFalcons said:
Regarding the Hitler stuff, we need to keep in mind how different the world was in 1936. Germany was on the road to "eliminating" unemployment with a massive military buildup with huge spending for public works, and the US and UK were stuck really bad. It even got worse the next year, while the Fascists and even the Soviets seemed to have "answers".

However, it is alleged that he conferred with Hitler against the advice of the British Government.

In addition, according to the American sources, a document, compiled by US naval intelligence agents in 1941, the officials discussed the Duke of Windsor and labeled him "as 'no enemy of Germany' - considered to be only Englishman with whom Hitler would negotiate any peace terms, the logical director of England's destiny after the war".

The report added: "When he was in Germany he had contact with Hitler and he is the only person with whom Hitler would confer in any negotiations of peace or armistice when it becomes necessary.

"Hitler well knows that Edward at present cannot work in a matter that would appear to be against his country, and he does not urge it. But when the proper moment arrives he will be the only person capable of directing the destiny of England."

The stories conflict to some degree and the Prince may have acted in an official capacity should Nazi Germany have prevailed. Thankfully they did not.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Carlisle Blues said:
"Hitler well knows that Edward at present cannot work in a matter that would appear to be against his country, and he does not urge it. But when the proper moment arrives he will be the only person capable of directing the destiny of England."

Edward VIII wouldn't be the first English monarch to seek out foreign help to (re)gain his crown. John I comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
Carlisle Blues said:
However, it is alleged that he conferred with Hitler against the advice of the British Government.

In addition, according to the American sources, a document, compiled by US naval intelligence agents in 1941, the officials discussed the Duke of Windsor and labeled him "as 'no enemy of Germany' - considered to be only Englishman with whom Hitler would negotiate any peace terms, the logical director of England's destiny after the war".

The report added: "When he was in Germany he had contact with Hitler and he is the only person with whom Hitler would confer in any negotiations of peace or armistice when it becomes necessary.

The stories conflict to some degree and the Prince may have acted in an official capacity should Nazi Germany have prevailed. Thankfully they did not.

The US Navy got it wrong. But then their knowlege of the British constitution may not have been complete. If the Brits had chosen to open negotiations with Hitler, the man of the hour would have been David Lloyd George. Churchill has written as much.

Lloyd George had been a leading political figure in the early 20th century. He was Britan's war time PM during WWI, and like Edward VIII, he had met Hitler and expressed his admiration for him. From the British perspective, Lloyd George would have been a much better negotiator than Edward VIII. From Hitler's perspective, it would have been sweet justice to have one of the architects of the Versailles Treaty on the other side of the table. Moreover, Lloyd George would have been particularly useful in that he could have credibly formed a pro-Nazi government. The King could not.

Saho

New in Town
oh man, I would trade anything to be able to see these old black/white photographs in color. So much of the details are missing. The folks born in 2050 and beyond will have such a blast looking at historical photographs from our period. Don't you guys agree?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner