Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay - Beautiful 1899 Dated 3 Piece Suit Sz 34 - 36

HardBoiledMarlowe

One of the Regulars
One of the most exciting suits I've come across in quite some time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251187443825

624729035_o.jpg

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
I would consider this to be the holy grail of suits for me. Based on the pictures and description, it looks absolutely breathtaking. I just couldn't spend that much sight unseen.

Great sale, hardboiledmarlowe!!:eusa_clap

Now for the interesting question - did you find this locally in Idaho? Out west and north is pretty much the only good vintage hunting ground left, IMO. The midwest is OK, but Nebrasaka/Dakotas/Montana/Idaho etc is definitely the place to scour …

HardBoiledMarlowe

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Baron! I did get the suit in Idaho; however, I had to travel a fair distance from my town and it's the oldest suit I've found/owned in 12+ years of collecting. A great portion of what I've been selling this year was amassed eight to ten years ago, and some was originally purchased on eBay for personal use. I find some decent stuff here, but it's increasingly difficult and requires a great deal of time and perseverance. There was a veritable smorgasbord of vintage clothing here a decade ago, but those days are gone. I can't speak for the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska, etc.

HBK - Unsurprisingly, the buyer was Japanese.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Another reminder, as if it were needed, that the repro garments we find at various websites today just don't have access to the wonderful fabrics of the past. I'm imagining Butch Cassidy and Sundance in this suit, with handlebar mustaches, and nice round topped bowler hats.

I don't think lack of access to vintage-type fabrics is a rational excuse for "repro" makers. A small amount of research will turn up heavyweight fabric in traditional patterns and weaves - Mallalieu's of Delph are very good, for example, and any of the myriad Harris Tweed sellers - but the prices would need to go up significantly on "reproduction" pieces. You would also need to convince the far east tailors used by these "reproduction" manufacturers to use these heavier fabrics, which in my experience can be a challenge.

14 Oz fabrics are very easily available in a wide range of patterns, and about right for American vintage suits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick