Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got this vintage Optimo Panama this a.m. Sports a wpi of about 500.

I saw that listing Rick as was sorely tempted to pull the trigger but didn't want to take the chance. Congrats, you got a great deal on it. Have you got it yet? I was curious about the sweat or any other markings.

Thanks-that WAS a sweet price.
Ain't got it yet, just now bought it...I wrote the lady & she insisted there was no brittle straw & the sweat was sound... see in about a week, I guess.

tomb1013

One of the Regulars
My new Ebay Penny'y Marathon came today almost looks new!
DSC_3053.jpg
601163975_o-1.jpg
601163941_o.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
t2ec16zhjhwe9n8ii1nbbqs.jpg

kgrhqjiyf32gvtnbqsnk9on.jpg

t2ec16hhjg8e9nyfpzhbqsn.jpg

I may have just impulsively purchased this ("may have" as in "yes, I did"), but I have very limited experience with Panama hats, and have trouble judging from the photos. From what I can tell, the weave seems tight, but the ribbon looks cheap-- not really sure about the sweatband. It says Montecristi, but it seems these labels can be misleading from what I've read around here. Ultrafino is the brand; I have no idea about the grade.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I may have just impulsively purchased this ("may have" as in "yes, I did"), but I have very limited experience with Panama hats, and have trouble judging from the photos. From what I can tell, the weave seems tight, but the ribbon looks cheap-- not really sure about the sweatband. It says Montecristi, but it seems these labels can be misleading from what I've read around here. Ultrafino is the brand; I have no idea about the grade.

Any thoughts?

I believe this is their website bowlerman http://www.ultrafinopanamahat.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=92278

Looks like yours is pretty nice a weave which is the important part.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the link, Mike! I wish there was a model name/number somewhere in the auction photos so I could compare it to the various grades they list on the website. Who am I kidding, it would be a guess at best from my end, anyway! I guess we'll see when it arrives.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab

Any thoughts?

The weave appears to be quite nice; if I had to guess I'd say it looks like it could be a 500 or 600 wpsi. The sweatband might be so-so, but you can always replace it, just like the ribbon.
If you're looking for vintage grosgrain ribbon, feel free to PM me. I have more vintage ribbon stock than I actually need (quality is not top, just good), so I can send you some for free.

Nik

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Nik! I might take you up on that. My estimation of what an inch is lines up roughly with your count. I'm getting possibly 20-25 linear weaves per inch? I could definitely live with that.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Nik! I might take you up on that. My estimation of what an inch is lines up roughly with your count. I'm getting possibly 20-25 linear weaves per inch? I could definitely live with that.

Yeah, at the 400 wpsi range the Panamas are beginning to get dressy in my opinion. I don't think yours could be below that threshold.

scooter

Practically Family
So, I picked a Cervo off the bay the other day, and Sam and I had a discussion about fit. He was concerned the stated 7 5/8 was not accurate and may have been front to back or something. Well, it arrived today, Sam, and it is a true 7 5/8 (fits more like 7 1/2) and the felt is absolutely luscious. I have the privilege of owning several nice hats, and this may be the crowning jewel. It is simply luxurious to the touch and fits like a dream. Have to head off to work, but I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
So, I picked a Cervo off the bay the other day, and Sam and I had a discussion about fit. He was concerned the stated 7 5/8 was not accurate and may have been front to back or something. Well, it arrived today, Sam, and it is a true 7 5/8 (fits more like 7 1/2) and the felt is absolutely luscious. I have the privilege of owning several nice hats, and this may be the crowning jewel. It is simply luxurious to the touch and fits like a dream. Have to head off to work, but I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow.

Pics please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart