Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fashion frank

One Too Many
I thought this opera hat was priced a little high until I read that it was made from beaver skin. Very r@re. :eeek:

I would most definitely agree with you that the hat itself is just awesome , but the price is IMHO so out of the ballpark
that I just could not pull the trigger on something like that it.

Is it my eyes or are the sides grosgrain ribbon right up to the top and the top is the beaver skin??

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Landman

One Too Many
I do the same thing natively in the eBay site. How does clandestine sniper tools change it? I'm not going to have a different max with sniper or w/out. Max bid is max bid. The rest is just perception. I know snipers are there...

Tom,

I just prefer to wait and bid at the end of the auction. If I place a bid with EBay it is immediately entered into the auction and can not be retracted. Using a sniper program I can cancel it prior to the time it is set to be entered into the auction if I find something else I like better.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you on that, Mike. Many times, something has changed which has caused me to reduce the value of my preset snipe or cancel it all together.
That flexibility, plus the fact I don't have to be online when the auction ends, makes it worthwhile for me.

Frank, no beavers were harmed in the making of this hat. I see that the seller has updated the description in response to a well intentioned message from a fellow ebayer... it's still too expensive by a factor of 4.

They corrected it, but the box is the real value.

:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Frank, no beavers were harmed in the making of this hat. I see that the seller has updated the description in response to a well intentioned message from a fellow ebayer... it's still too expensive by a factor of 4.

:eusa_doh:

+ 1 on all you said , and I knew my eyesight was not failing me yet .

" No beavers were harmed in the making of this hat " very funny indeed !

fashion frank

One Too Many
I JUST DID IT AGAIN !!

Hello everyone , I just did it again , and mostly to prove a point about snipping as I already have two short brimmed grey fedoras .

There was one bidder watching that hat and at the last second I swooped in and "sniped " that hat off the other guy who should have known better that to just put the minimun bid in.

So there it is in real time I did it agin and its a a snap to do it .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

P. S. Im at work right now and this computer wont let me post the ebay link here , but when I get home I will post the link and you will see how in 2 or 3 seconds I "stole" that hat .

Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I JUST DID IT AGAIN !!

Hello everyone , I just did it again , and mostly to prove a point about snipping as I have two short brimmed fedoras already.
grey
There was one bidder watching that hat and at the last second I swooped in and "sniped " that hat off the other guy who should have known better that to just put the minimun bid in.

P. S. Im at work right now and this computer wont let me post the ebay link here , but when I get home I will post the link and you will see how in 2 or 3 seconds I "stole" that hat .

You sneaky little devil you!;)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I do the same thing natively in the eBay site. How does clandestine sniper tools change it? I'm not going to have a different max with sniper or w/out. Max bid is max bid. The rest is just perception. I know snipers are there...

Because in many people's eyes, the "value" of something increases exponentially if they see that others want it. Putting in an early bid just yells "Hey Look over here! A hat worth bidding on!" and I don't want that type of advertisement on a hat I'm coveting, lol. Again, it's all about avoiding emotional bidders.

... Many times, something has changed which has caused me to reduce the value of my preset snipe or cancel it all together.
That flexibility, plus the fact I don't have to be online when the auction ends, makes it worthwhile for me.

.... If I place a bid with EBay it is immediately entered into the auction and can not be retracted. Using a sniper program I can cancel it prior to the time it is set to be entered into the auction if I find something else I like better.

This retraction feature is a good point. I'm not sure posting a bid out in the open has the effect some are reading into it. If you don't know snipers are waiting on every listing that you are interested in, then you're not paying much attention...Max bid is max bid or it's not...JMHO

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, I ran into an emotional bidder on a waistcoat last night.
The auction would finish while I was having dinner, so I put my "best and only bid" down about an hour before the auction would finish.
Found out this morning I didn't get it. But when I looked at the bid history, I saw that I was outbit by a person who had upped the current bid by $2 each time until he had it. Took him about 20 tries. If I had sniped instead of giving him time to put in all those bids, it would have been mine for a lot less than the final price.
Oh well - I just would have been using money from my hat fund anyway ...

The auction would finish while I was having dinner, so I put my "best and only bid" down about an hour before the auction would finish.
Found out this morning I didn't get it. But when I looked at the bid history, I saw that I was outbit by a person who had upped the current bid by $2 each time until he had it. Took him about 20 tries. If I had sniped instead of giving him time to put in all those bids, it would have been mine for a lot less than the final price.
Oh well - I just would have been using money from my hat fund anyway ...

I think you are reading facts not in evidence. You have no way of knowing that the winner didn't find your limit then put a max bid higher than the one that won the auction. I have often re-evaluated my max bid once seeing the difference in my leading bid & the one in second place.

howardeye

Practically Family
I JUST DID IT AGAIN !!

Hello everyone , I just did it again , and mostly to prove a point about snipping as I have two short brimmed fedoras already.
grey

What you are doing is not Sniping! The correct terminoligy would be Scalping! I hope you win them all!

dnjan

One Too Many
When I looked at the bid record (not automatic bids), I saw 20 or so bids from the same person, anyplace from 3 to 9 seconds apart. So I assumed they were actual, physical bids. Yes, the final (winning) bid was not an exact $2 increment, but given the amount of time it took the bidder to work up to the winning bid, had I sniped in the last few seconds I think it would have been mine.

fashion frank

One Too Many

But when I looked at the bid history, I saw that I was outbit by a person who had upped the current bid by $2 each time until he had it. Took him about 20 tries.

If I had sniped instead of giving him time to put in all those bids, it would have been mine for a lot less than the final price.
Oh well

Thats it right there, " If I had sniped instead of giving him time to put in all those bids ,it would have been mine for a lot less than the final price".

Thats what I'm takling about cutting off the bidding at the last second keeping the bid down and not tipping your own hand.

All the Best, Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
Putting in an early bid just yells "Hey Look over here! A hat worth bidding on!" and I don't want that type of advertisement on a hat I'm coveting, lol.

Again, it's all about avoiding emotional bidders.

You sure got that right Caramel Smoothie , thats why I lay in wait untill the last second and then bam !

Like a mouse trap being sprung :)

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Yeah I get nervous when a hat that still has a few days left on it has even a bid or two already! No doubt a sign it is going to shoot up in the closing hour or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo