Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fashion frank

One Too Many
I JUST DID IT AGAIN !!

Hello everyone , I just did it again , and mostly to prove a point about snipping as I already have two short brimmed grey Fedoras .

There was one bidder watching that hat and at the last second I swooped in and "sniped " that hat off the other guy who
should have known better that to just put the minimun bid in.

So there it is in real time I did it agin and its a a snap to do it .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

P. S. I'm at work right now and this computer wont let me post the ebay link here , but when I get home I will post the link and you will see how in 2 or 3 seconds I "stole" that hat .

Ok ,now that I am home from work and I have a moment or two before band practice tonight ,
here is the link that I
could not post on my work computer.

As I stated earlier , look at my time and the" house's" time and it was only a couple of seconds before the "house" shut down the auction , so there was no time to react to my bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281056151390?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:
Agree with the strategy, though I don't sense there was much risk of a bidding war here.

I would like to give a :eusa_clap to Rilico for turning down the sharpening noise in his auction pictures. I hadn't noticed, but you can actually see the hats now.

Mystic

Practically Family
I JUST DID IT AGAIN !!

Hello everyone , I just did it again , and mostly to prove a point about snipping as I already have two short brimmed grey fedoras .

You now have 3 short brimmed grey fedoras.....

what was the point you proved and to whom did you prove this point.

I think I see another point here that has been proven. :rolleyes:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Mystic, the point proven (and this is not public domain information, so mum's the word!) is that if you put in the highest bid you win the auction :)

fashion frank

One Too Many
You now have 3 short brimmed grey fedoras.....

what was the point you proved and to whom did you prove this point.

I think I see another point here that has been proven. :rolleyes:

The point is quite simple ,I can pick off $20.00 dollar including shipping and handling hats all day long since that was the start of this whole debate if you had taken the time to peel back and read : someone complained that " some a@@hole
just stole my hat on ebay " which I thought was actually kinda of funny ,someone else told him " nobody stole your hat "
etc.etc. etc.

I stated that it was easy to pick off a bid on free bay and that is that ,why do you have a problem with any of my
postings?

Fashion Frank

Mystic

Practically Family
The point is quite simple ,I can pick off $20.00 dollar including shipping and handling hats all day long since that was the start of this whole debate if you had taken the time to peel back and read : someone complained that " some a@@hole
just stole my hat on ebay " which I thought was actually kinda of funny ,someone else told him " nobody stole your hat "
etc.etc. etc.

I stated that it was easy to pick off a bid on free bay and that is that ,why do you have a problem with any of my
postings?

Fashion Frank

I didn't have to "peel" anything. I read the comments from the beginning. Sorry, didn't realize you were in a debate with someone.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Frank, I wish I could get large size 50+ year old hats with wide brims for $20.00. It does happen, but not too often on ebay. Now small size hats with narrow brims are much easier game to bag on ebay. You have much fewer competitors so it's not surprising you win those auctions.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
"The point is quite simple ,I can pick off $20.00 dollar including shipping and handling hats all day long since that was the start of this whole debate"

I understand your point but it has a lot to do with the size and style of the hat. Try to pick off a Stetson Stratoliner in size 7 1/2 for $20.00 :)

fashion frank

One Too Many
Agree with the strategy, though I don't sense there was much risk of a bidding war here.

Hello Alan ,hope your having a good day?

Your right about the example that I used when I sniped that hat with only one other bidder ( and I know that your not
trying to give me a hard time ) but here is a hat that I sniped about a week back and I sniped it right in the middle of a
bidding war between two other people.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-Hat-Men-Women-Royal-Stetson-Stratoliner-/271115116504

So in closing even when the bidding get stiff ,I can still snipe a hat here or there.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

barrowjh

One Too Many
Size does make a huge difference with regard to the relative strength of the competition. If the competition does not show up, heck, almost any strategy will work - if you bid, you win. In the more popular sizes where the competition is strong, strategy becomes more important, but strategy never beats high bid. In the end, its who wants it the most and/or has the deeper pockets.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I didn't have to "peel" anything. I read the comments from the beginning. Sorry, didn't realize you were in a debate with someone.

No yet wrong again ,I was not in a debate with any one specific person on this issue we were collectively
" kicking the gong around " on this topic.

Also the comment " I think I see another point being made here " smacks of scarcasm and if your trying to insinuate
something about my intelligence level then I dont appreciate that either.
Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
Frank,

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but that Stratoliner is a size 6 5/8. I'm just trying to point out the size makes a big difference.

Yes I appreciate the fact that unlike some other people your not trying to give me a hard time but just trying to point
something out here.

If I may I would also like to point out that even if it was a small head size ,size now becomes
irrelevant because when the bidding picks up on even a smaller size hat that a lot of people
want that's where the snipping comes in .

I must admit also that your right in the bigger picture ,sizes 7 and up draw a a lot more
attention.
In closing I have to tell you that you made me laugh when you said and I quote " size makes a big difference " it's funny because I hear women all the time saying " size matters " LOL .
Thanks for your insight .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
No yet wrong again ,I was not in a debate with any one specific person on this issue we were collectively
" kicking the gong around " on this topic.

Also the comment " I think I see another point being made here " smacks of scarcasm and if your trying to insinuate
something about my intelligence level then I dont appreciate that either.
Fashion Frank

As I have also been offended by your comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner