Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Almost all vintage bowlers/derbies go for a song. They are not very popular as wearing hats and collectors can get sated on the ample supply, bidding on only the rarest that come up for sale. Enjoy the bargains. They are great artifacts from the golden era of hat making. And be patient. It will probably take a 1/2 dozen to find one that fits just right. ;)

barrowjh

One Too Many
I will second Alan's observation. I have navy blue, grey, brown, and black hombergs, and I have black, brown, and an olive bowler. No matter what color or slight variation in the crown, no matter what brim width, etc., what these hats taught me was that 'up-brim' hat styles and me do not work. I have not quite brought myself to the point of selling off my up-brims, but I might as well. I don't even wear the olive bowler on St Pat's, have too many better green choices in Fedoras. I have noticed that bowlers tend to fetch a better price in the fall and winter, folks that want one for a new year's party, or girls in ballet or modern dance that need them for a end-of-season performance. Late spring and summer, they sell cheap. I gave away an awesome Stetson summer bowler to a niece this past Christmas; a feather-weight with a star pattern venting in the tip, sweatband still supple - she will get some milage out of it and maybe have some fun with it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
or you could dip the up-brims down, John! ;) I don't like up-brims so much on me either, but I *do* like a small pencil roll that dips down in front. Not the easiest to achieve, but doable, I think!

barrowjh

One Too Many
bowlerman, I have definitely pulled the brims down in front on all of my up-brims, still, they do not work for me. I can pull a cowboy hat brim down enough in the front, need a 3" brim at least, that I can make a cowboy or western style work ok, but am most comfortable with a snap-brim snapped down across the front. Bowlers or hombergs with a brim that wide look wierd to me, not much different from an open-crown cowboy hat with a full kettle curl. I wish it were different, as I absolutely love the short top hat look, like Depp's character wore in Dead Man, but even though I love that hat, that style does not work for me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I understand. Man I love the dead man hat. Similar to your point, I'm not sure the flat top with that much flare would work on me. Less flare and you have the 3:10 to Yuma hat. Maybe that would work better.

Size does make a huge difference with regard to the relative strength of the competition. If the competition does not show up, heck, almost any strategy will work - if you bid, you win. In the more popular sizes where the competition is strong, strategy becomes more important, but strategy never beats high bid. In the end, its who wants it the most and/or has the deeper pockets.

For true size matters because that is what gets a hat to show up on my searches...certain ones, I'm putting a bid out there just to establish a floor for the price...

howardeye

Practically Family
I just went out on a limb and won this. This is by far the most I have ever spent on a single auction because I'm slightly superstitious about putting that kind of cash out there for something I don't get to see in person first. So I felt the knife twist a bit, but also, how could I refrain? I hope this was worth all the hype!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-Cow...WjMjEPFyTs7kugsreN59w%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Nothing wrong with that price. I paid $165 for mine and it was a 3X. Price shouldn't matter if you want it. I always go by you reap what you sow!

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I just went out on a limb and won this. This is by far the most I have ever spent on a single auction because I'm slightly superstitious about putting that kind of cash out there for something I don't get to see in person first. So I felt the knife twist a bit, but also, how could I refrain? I hope this was worth all the hype!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-Cow...WjMjEPFyTs7kugsreN59w%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And with free shipping no less. I've seen that same hat sell for over two hundred on many an occasion. Congrats on the buy.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Dome shot with the earlier posted Knox. Fits perfect and was in near perfect condition. Apparently was owned by a butler to the Roebling family in New York.

2013-02-04-210117_zps1b39e04c.jpg

And heres the Miller bowler which I just finished hand stitching the whole sweatband back in. Got scared when I put it on and it was a bit too tight, then looked behind the sweatband and found two thick cotton sizers on both sides. After removing them, it fit great.

2013-02-04-210526_zps8081b870.jpg

An earlier posted J. Moores and sons which I just recently gave more of a western curl on the brim.

2013-02-04-210336_zps0b1d46fd.jpg

Landman

One Too Many

Jeff,

I saw that hat a few days ago and would have bid more than that on it myself if it were my size. I think you made a great deal. You can't buy a new production Open Road for that price. I hope you like it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the support guys! and thanks, Ed, for posting the photo. Landman, that brother is bigger, and twice as good. ;)

ofcoursemyhourse, great bowler-- you wear it well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ