Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fashion frank

One Too Many
That's your assessment of the rolling ball.

No ,it is what it is and I didn't start throwing jabs at you ,you were the one with the first shot
across the bow.

Oh, and BTW your the first person that I have ever had a problem with since I became a member of this Forum.
I like this Forum because you very rarely see any crap like what is taking place right now, so do me a favor and drop it already.

Fashion Frank

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
People enjoy sniping on items they truly want, up to their maximum bid. No reason to have a small debate here. On ebay, sniping is all part of the game. You need to just stop whining about it, or join in the fun. Program or not. Technology has taken a lot over, and if you look around, you will see that.

The reason this 'disagreement' begun, is due to a comment of, "Someone stole my hat". In reality, it was not your hat, as you did not place the highest bid, so the want was not there, or the winner just wanted it more. It becomes YOUR item when it arrives at your doorstep, comes into the house, and sits on top of your head.

Do I snipe, of course. NOT using technology do to it, but I will sit and watch it, and try to win. If I don't win, I guess it was not in my cards, and I just didn't want it enough. Hats that are larger in sizes do tend to go for more, especially the older ones...

So, Frank... I am jealous with you and your small noggin! Keep up the winning, sniper!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Women don't wear hats as much as men, and they definitely are not interested in the decades that I'm interested in. This is why I win about 95% of the hats I snipe, roughly. The remaining 5% I didn't really set my max bid in bidnapper or the other person was willing to pay way more than I was.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Cobalta Fleck Borsalino Alessandria

I won this hat back on December 14th and when it arrived I sent it right off to Optimo to replace the sweatband, and I let them do a clean & block since the sweatband had to be replaced anyway. $123 for the hat (free shipping), $6.30 to ship it to Chicago, and then $85 for the clean, block, and sweatband service, so I have $215 total invested in this hat. I wish the brim were a full 2 1/2 inches, and the seller had said it was a 2 1/2, but it is only 2 3/8ths. Still, it is a really nice felt, beautiful blue-grey color with the deep navy blue (Cobalta) flecked into the felt, cav edge, and I really love the bow treatment on the navy blue ribbon - notice the pleated shark-gill across the knot.

Picture133_zpsdd2b35e7.jpg

DSC00102_zps0a84d4c3.jpg

DSC00101_zpscb258341.jpg

DSC00100_zps3398cee8.jpg

edited to add - I am also somewhat surprised at how light these Borsalino Alessandria hats can be - it appears to be a full-weight fedora, the felt is not conspicuously thin, but it is incredibly light. I have three Borsalino Alessandria fedoras with cav edges, two that have been refurb'd by Optimo (an olive green Ninfea and this Cobalta blue-grey fleck) and a solid navy Cobalta in pristine condition, plus one Alessandria OR clone also in great condition, and all 4 are surprisingly light weight. The OR clone is a thin felt, but the three fedoras appear to be regular weight felt until you pick them up, always a pleasant surprise, pleasures to wear.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino with a little dash of Optimo is a cool combination. I think it looks well balanced with that size brim, John.

Love the felt and the ribbon work. First class all the way!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Barrowjh, that is one NICE Borsalino!

I just won this Stetson Bowler/Derby. I was the only bidder, believe it or not! Including shipping, the total is $56.88

The only issue, is that I am unsure it will fit (no measurements in the ad, but the seller measured it in a message, and it seemed like it could work, so we shall see... but if not, it may just go into the collection as my first derby/bowler ever).

Here are the auction photos. Looks to be in AMAZING shape!

t2ec1612.jpg

t2ec1613.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations, splintercellz! From the same seller I won this interesting footnote to Dobbs history with this William H. Dobbs Derby. William was the son of H. DeWitt Dobbs, the president of Dobbs & Co., and manager of the Fifth Avenue store. William was associated in some form with Dobbs & Co., though I've not uncovered his specific role. In any case, he left the company in 1932 after the formation of Hat Corporation of America. He gave the use of his name to the D.L. Davis Corporation, manufacturer of hats in Norwalk, CT, probably in exchange for shares of stock and royalties. Men's and ladies' hats manufactured under of the name of "Wm. H. Dobbs" quickly drew the attention of Hat Corporation of America, and they filed an trademark infringement lawsuit against D.L. Davis. The district judge ruled on June 23, 1933, that Davis fraudulently manufactured the hats under the Wm. H. Dobbs name to capitalize on the success of HCA's own Dobbs brand, as the Davis name was nowhere to be found in the hats or packaging. An injunction was placed against the use of the name, and damages to be awarded. This, then, is a rare hat, manufacturer sometime between 1932 and June 23, 1933. I'll post more photos in the Dobbs Diner when the hat arrives, as well as documenting it on my blog. Hat box is obviously not from that period. Too bad it doesn't have the original Wm. H. Dobbs box.

Brad

WmHDobbs1_zpsd4ae7a96.jpg

WmHDobbs2_zpsa720e88d.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Seems we are the only ones who stumbled across those!

Thank goodness for them being listed in the wrong category, eh? Very nice snag there, Brad! And what an interesting piece of history too! I can't wait for my Bowler to arrive.

If you wish, you can PM me, and tell me what photos you want, and when it arrives, I will gladly send you some for your blog. I am not too keen on the Stetson I got, but it seems to be old, so I can only hope! Agreed on the boxes too... if only, right!?

Looks very interesting. Not quite sure what it is but worth a gamble at $35.00 shipped. May be a UFO[huh] Seems to glow and show scorch marks.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I was confusing this hat with the gray furry exposition Stetson. It was even more of a mystery before the seller added the inside photo. Look forward to seeing what it turns out to be.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Brad and Splinters Bowlers

I saw both of those and considered swooping in, but the lack of any sizing info scared me off.

Congrats to you both Brad and Splinter they both looked to be in impeccable shape in the pictures.

I ended up with these instead.

Herbert Johnson Bowler, the seller also had a slightly older one from the same previous owner but a couple of stains and a wee smaller size made me go for this one.

HerbetBowler_zps91490e7f.jpg

HBbowler_zps4d93d486.jpg

Hbbowler2_zps6c26bb4a.jpg

And this one which i'm equally shocked got no action.

MillerBowler_zps2fcc48af.jpg

Millerbowlerliner_zps2dc9400a.jpg

Millerback_zps5e0ca669.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk